New EP - Fore

Does Fore get brighter the farther left it goes? It sounds like your brightest instruments (shaker, hi-hat) are pretty far left.

Are you planning to revise these songs as is, or is this final-final release, and you're wanting tips for the next project?

Hey Steve! Fore is supposed to start of very heavy with "GO", with a focus on synths and hard hitting drums, more of a trap style, and gradually gets brighter as you move towards "GONE", which is the most chilled out track, focusing on being melodic and relaxing. I was looking for feedback on the EP as a whole, I've had some ideas for my follow up project but not decided yet. Going to work on making the next EP more diverse and less repetitive, but just wanted to see what you thought of this one :) It's a final release.

So, my personal opinion listening on a decently good system and a treated room:

Go: snare could come up more. Sub bass might be a bid loud, I'd need to hear it in the car to find out though.

Going: crisp sound, a tad too bright maybe. Bass sounds distorted, I don't know if that's what you were going for. Too much reverb too.

Goes: sounds muddier than the first 2 songs. Snare should cut through a bit more. It sounds hi-passed.

Gone: my favorite beat. Sub bass seems loud too but can't tell you for sure here. I'd give a little more power to that snare, which seems to be lacking some low mids.

Hi Thier,

Firstly. Thank you very much for your feedback! It is very much appreciated.

Go: I agree with the snare for sure, I'll adjust that. The bass sounds fine on my KRK 8's, audio technica's and in my car. Of course in a treated room that might be different.

Going: Wasn't intentional for the bass to be distorted. It's funny, I've been working with a small studio where I live and they said the bass on this one was done to near perfection, I can hear a tad of distortion on some of the heavier parts, but I don't feel it takes away from the sound too much. Yeah the reverb has been a subjective thing, the studio said it was good and Going has been the most well received track based on feedback.

Gone: Definitely the weakest in the album looking back, I'll have a look at the EQ's on the leading instruments and see if there's any crossovers I didn't notice. Snare will be easy to fix, thanks for picking that up.

Gone: Thank you! Gone is probably my second favourite behind Going. Same situation as Go with the bass, sounds good on my systems but then again I'm not listening in treated room. Great, I'll adjust that too.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful :)

So wait... what's that first track then if it's not part of the EP? "Fore - single" That's the one I was commenting on. The left channel seemed brighter than the right.

I listened to FORE. I didn't notice it being brighter in one channel than the other. That seemed balanced.

I thought it was a good composition. Lot's of different things going on.

The only thing that I didn't really care for was the low end of the mix. All the low end instruments had a kind of rubber-ball sound to them. Too boingy, no warmth. Just a personal taste thing.

Hi Steve, sorry for the awfully late reply, I have been very busy. If you're talking about panning, I'm not sure specifically where you're talking panning is used mostly for atmosphere effects and for sprinkling hi hats. Fore - Single is a short mixtape that shows you all the tracks on the EP in 5 minutes in a shorter format, for those who don't want to listen to a 15 minute long EP. In terms of the track "Fore - Single", the beats get progressively more chilled out and focus more on the high end as you go through. That was the idea, to give a unique vibe to each track and try to add variation where I could.

Hi TripleM,

Thank you very much for your feedback! It is much appreciated, your kind words are also nice to hear :)

I see what you mean, as I say I'm still new and looking to improve, I will focus more on the low end in the future. That feedback will be very useful when it comes to producing a new project. Thank you!

Back