New direction for next release - Simple instrument and vocal songs

K-dub

Sometimes the simple stuff is the hardest to get right. Any/all comments warmly appreciated.

Kev-

I really like the song. Great vocal and guitar performance. As far as the mix...
Great vocal sound. The guitar sounds good but not quite as good as the vocal. It's a little boxy sounding. I'm nit picking here though it's not bad at all but not really stellar either.
Good job K-DUB.

I really like the song. Great vocal and guitar performance. As far as the mix...
Great vocal sound. The guitar sounds good but not quite as good as the vocal. It's a little boxy sounding. I'm nit picking here though it's not bad at all but not really stellar either.
Good job K-DUB.

That may be the room reverb I used. I tried not to overdo it, because it did have an element of "box" ring to it, and it was a decision between dry clarity and adding a small amount of space. Thanks for the thoughts, Jim!

K,
Sounds like the middle is missing from the guitar.
The hesitancy in the guitar matches the vulnerability in the vocal/lyric.
The BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE went a little long.
I like the lyric except the part in the hook"...I don't play games
So don't play those games with me."
Games x 2 - they're a little too near to work in my head. My brain keeps searching for a replacement word.
That's just me & you can ignore it but I know everytime I hear this track I'll do that same thing again.

Good tune, good performance. My only comment would be, vocals down a bit, guitar up and a little more high end would brighten it up. The "Beeee", while it was long, it did show you can hold a note.

Nice song.

K,
Sounds like the middle is missing from the guitar.
The hesitancy in the guitar matches the vulnerability in the vocal/lyric.
The BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE went a little long.
I like the lyric except the part in the hook"...I don't play games
So don't play those games with me."
Games x 2 - they're a little too near to work in my head. My brain keeps searching for a replacement word.
That's just me & you can ignore it but I know everytime I hear this track I'll do that same thing again.

Interesting thought on the "games" lyric, Ray. I see what you're saying ... and though I don't mind the close juxtaposition myself, I'll chew on it.

I think I've got to record that passage over ... I hear a slight throat click in the middle of the hold that I'd missed before. Perhaps I won't hold it as long.

Good tune, good performance. My only comment would be, vocals down a bit, guitar up and a little more high end would brighten it up. The "Beeee", while it was long, it did show you can hold a note.

Nice song.

Thanks Dave! Good thoughts. It's exactly that balance in the simple stuff that makes it difficult.

I liked the vocal a bunch. Really clear and upfront. Nice tone as well.

The guitar was OK, but not stellar. Too much reverb - and it might also be contributing to the boxiness. I hear some hiss in the intro. The upper midrange is a little harsh. I'm also hearing a little swirliness. Might be an MP3 conversion, but I'm not sure.

I liked the vocal a bunch. Really clear and upfront. Nice tone as well.

The guitar was OK, but not stellar. Too much reverb - and it might also be contributing to the boxiness. I hear some hiss in the intro. The upper midrange is a little harsh. I'm also hearing a little swirliness. Might be an MP3 conversion, but I'm not sure.

I think it is the 128k mp3, Trip. It's not present on the wav file. I agree I still need to work on the guitar tone, and probably bring the vocal back a hair.

the beeeeee is way WAY to long in my opinion, everything else o.k. I would prefer to hear a higher quality version, when I press mono + reverse phase to hear the sides only on my audient I am hearing a lot of artifacts

the beeeeee is way WAY to long in my opinion, everything else o.k. I would prefer to hear a higher quality version, when I press mono + reverse phase to hear the sides only on my audient I am hearing a lot of artifacts

Thanks for the thoughts! It is strange the fuzzy phase that occurred in the conversion. I will retrack the vocal during that passage, although the melody does require holding the note for a couple chord changes. I'll repost once done ... and see if I can't improve the conversion quality.

Sometimes the simple stuff is the hardest to get right. Any/all comments warmly appreciated.

Kev-

Oh, yeah, the simple stuff! :)

Vocals and guitar sound excellent. Nice little song. I liked the math lesson at the beginning. :) I agree that the vocal could be slightly quieter. No other comments on the mix.

Love it K-dub, and I say it every time I listen to your stuff, it sounds like it want's to be part of a stage production. Seriously mate... write a musical! :)

Love it K-dub, and I say it every time I listen to your stuff, it sounds like it want's to be part of a stage production. Seriously mate... write a musical! :)

I've been told I've got a Broadway voice, and have a buddy of mine is trying to get me to write a musical also. Thanks Tobe. :)

Oh, yeah, the simple stuff! :)

Vocals and guitar sound excellent. Nice little song. I liked the math lesson at the beginning. :) I agree that the vocal could be slightly quieter. No other comments on the mix.

I rebalanced, changed the reverb on the guitar to a plate (versus a hall), which I think took some of the boxiness out. I also retracked the vocal in the "beeeeeeeee" part, shortening it a little.

New mix is up.

---------- Update ----------

Oh ... and I found the issue with the swirly/phasey thing and got rid of it.

Assuming it was the same link in the first post. Clean, but sound like your 4/5 string is rumbling on you a bit. If you could isolate that and tame it, I think you have a nice mix here.

Listen to your friend K-dub, he's not wrong, almost all of your songs sound like they are a part of a story.

Assuming it was the same link in the first post. Clean, but sound like your 4/5 string is rumbling on you a bit. If you could isolate that and tame it, I think you have a nice mix here.

Same link, updated mix, Dave. By "rumbling" do you mean there's too much lows on the lower strings?

Listen to your friend K-dub, he's not wrong, almost all of your songs sound like they are a part of a story.

He's trying to get me together with a play writer to formulate a story around some of the songs I've already written. I'm not against the idea, but I'm actually forming a new band and I don't know where I'll find the time. :)

Back