New Device - Indie rock mix critique

The mix sounds really good to me. Cool song too. Really like how it picks up toward the middle with the tambourine.

I wonder if bringing the vocal forward just a little in the verses would put it in a sweet spot. The bass seems a little dull to me (just the tone). Maybe making it a little dirtier wouldn't hurt?

The mix sounds really good to me. Cool song too. Really like how it picks up toward the middle with the tambourine.

I wonder if bringing the vocal forward just a little in the verses would put it in a sweet spot. The bass seems a little dull to me (just the tone). Maybe making it a little dirtier wouldn't hurt?

Great suggestions there is some distortion on the bass but maybe I need to go a bit more. Also you wouldn't be the first to accuse me of having my vocals too low.

Is this mastered already? It feels very loud to me.

Most of the mix is pretty good. The bass is probably a tad loud, especially in the beginning. I might shift the clean lead at the beginning and the piano lead at the end a little closer to center. They're audible in both ears (which I think is crucial for any important part), but they're really far to the side for such a dominant part.

Tones all generally sound good. Bass could be fine clean if it was sitting better in the mix.

Is this mastered already? It feels very loud to me.

that was my first reaction, too. it's so loud and everything is upfront.

i couldn't listen because of that. but i skipped around to hear different parts and they seemed pretty balanced. the guitar at like 1:50ish mark is too loud.

Really cool song and nice arrangements,I like the mix of the synth and guitars it works very well. As Nola said guitars during the chorus might be a bit too loud, particularly during the transitions this is noticeable. Other than that , you really have a nice tune here :)

If I'm listening to the lowered bass, I'd say to still bring it down a bit. Or at least until the big guitars kick in around 1:00.

If I'm listening to the lowered bass, I'd say to still bring it down a bit. Or at least until the big guitars kick in around 1:00.

sup Triple long time now talk. recordingproject pretty dead now days huh. Brought it down 1 more db I think bass level is fine now.

I definitely don't think guitars are too loud on chorus and prechorus.
Yes the song is mastered/limited. If it's to loud turn it down a bit.

Bass is sitting better. I still kind of think it dominates at the beginning, but that might just be the bassist in me being uncomfortable with the instrument being audible. :D

sounds really good to me, nice writing as well. Good vocals, share anything on how they were recorded?

I didn't find anything to be too wide, not sure if that was addressed in the new mix or not. I also thought the guitars in the chorus were a touch loud, but not a huge deal.

Only thing I can think of is that the VI that comes in at 2:23 could be made more clear. it's kind of piercing and indistinct.

This sounds really good, great job.

sounds really good to me, nice writing as well. Good vocals, share anything on how they were recorded?

I didn't find anything to be too wide, not sure if that was addressed in the new mix or not. I also thought the guitars in the chorus were a touch loud, but not a huge deal.

Only thing I can think of is that the VI that comes in at 2:23 could be made more clear. it's kind of piercing and indistinct.

This sounds really good, great job.

Thanks appreciate you taking your time to comment and listen andrushkit. I have pretty budget gear. Everything was tracked using one AT 4047 into an apogee duet. GAP MK2 as premap. i'ts not a VI at 2:23 it's a Korg Keyboard. Your right that part could be cleaned up a bit.

Just have to redo keyboard at end (won't change mix really) otherwise pretty close to done.
Redid bass with a fender p bass.

final mix or forever hold your piece. Unless someone has a suggestion I'm missing

Attachments

• New Device.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back