New to DAW recording

Dremora

Hello!

I'm pretty much a newbie recording on FL studio 12. I've been attempting to write some instrumental extreme metal, and I'd like some tips/advice.

Let me know what/how I can improve!

Sorry, not going to download from your dropbox. Try a streaming site like Soundcloud.

Why not Robus? I only ever post dropbox files, as do many others here ... Soundcloud does no-one any favours, sonically.

OP - to me it sounds like you're using cheap amp sims and not particularly good drum samples which sound rather robotic... but this isn't exactly my sort of music, so others can perhaps give you more useful commentary. Sorry, I bailed about halfway.

Why not Robus? I only ever post dropbox files, as do many others here ... Soundcloud does no-one any favours, sonically.

Maybe because he has 1 post and no one knows who he is or what's in the file? Soundcloud is a good place to start until some reputation can be built, IMO.

I hear some less-than-desirable amp sounds as well. There's a "fizz" quality to them. I'd look into something like Recabinet or Guitar Rig. Lepou has good amps as well, and those are free. The bass is lacking is any definition to my ears.

You clearly have some good ideas and are creative enough to make something ppl will like in this genre. The keys were a nice touch too. I'd consider upgrading your amp/cab setup, working on bass clarity, and spending time with your drum program (it sounds more like the programming of the drums rather than just the sound of them. some realistic touches would help make it more alive - humanize feature, variation in hat open-ness and snare/kick velocities). for a first mix, this isn't all too bad. The amp/cabs are the elements holding it back the most, IMO.

The songwriting is good, but as others have mentioned, get a better amp sim (like Amplitube or S-Gear) or better yet a mic for your amp/cab. If you're going the mic route I'd recommend a Shure SM57.

As for drums, there are a few good options. Superior Drummer is pretty popular around here, as is Steven Slate. You probably wouldn't have to redo the drums either, just re-map using a different plugin. Same goes with the guitars if you've kept the clean DI tracks.

Back