New Chillstep track

Chuku

Hey all,

I've been working on a new project and i think its almost done but i don't know how it sounds to your ear.. It's a simple short chillstep track (which i'm experimenting) that i mixed and mastered (little knowledge) in a headphone ATH M50X.. I would love to hear any critics or any comments and also if possible can give me an idea on how the mixing really sounds on your high end monitors which i don't have currently...

Any ideas on further moving, comments, mixing tips on track or mistakes that you can find would be highly appreciated..

Thanks a lot..

Track attached.

Cheers..

Attachments

• new_idea_11.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 21
I love where you are heading with this. The rain in the background comes through as static to me, there is no definition. You may want to try some compression to bring it out more, but rain, is hard to blend into a mix. In movies, even when its subtle, its still loud compared to the other audio. I took the rain out, added some thunder claps, rolled of the low end to around 300hz with them on their own track, and raised them up to be more pronounced to the listener, that rain was a comin. I added the rain back at the end raised up with a thunder clap to finish it off. I only had about 5 mins. Just a idea.

View attachment 100884

In the original file, I thought the instruments were rather heavy in the 500-1khz area. I'd check each of those out individually. The rain seemed ok at first, but seemed to lack clarity as I listened closely.

I agree with andrushkiwt. It got slightly muddy.

I love the composition, and I was actually fine with the rain (maybe you could slap a low pass filter on there and add some hi-shelving.

My biggest criticism is the choice of using piano for all three parts there: arpeggios, chords, and melody. To me it builds up too much and makes the melody not stand out as much. If it were my piece, I would definitely use another instrument for the melody to help give the track some more space and depth. The drums were a very welcome addition in this regard---i.e., helping to give the track some sonic depth.

Yeah the keys are just a tad muddy but thats an easy fix. The arangement and percussion is really cool and I like the song
good job!

I think the rain's OK. You turned it way down throughout the track, which I think is the right choice since it really does just add noise, and you don't want that stepping on the instruments.

The lead isn't a piano, is it? The chords and arpeggios are, but that's some other kind of synth? Probably a good idea to have a variety of tones there.

The lead isn't a piano, is it? The chords and arpeggios are, but that's some other kind of synth? Probably a good idea to have a variety of tones there.

I couldn't tell if it was a piano or not, but it was really close in sound regardless. Definitely in the same family. I would prefer it be something that stood out a bit more.

I thought things in general sounded a bit cloudy. I saw the comments about being heavy in the 500-1K octave and I agree. The rain was OK, but at the start it went on a bit too long before the song kicked in.

The percussion samples had some unpleasant clickiness to them.

Thank you everyone for your reply.. I really appreciate.

Yea, the Lead is not a piano.. It is a synth i tried to design from Massive by tweaking knobs here and there ( even though i had no idea what i was doing.. I liked the sound so saved it as preset and used it in this track :p :D)..
So, how do i tweak the problem you guys mentioned about "500-1K being heavy". I've no idea how can i fix .Sorry, i am self learning producing so i am not used to much of technical terms (But i'm learning each day :) )

Cheers. :guitar:

Back