New Blues Recording Mix Advise/Suggestions

JohnnyAmato

This recording is actually a few months old, but recently transferred the track files to ProTools and re-did the drums with my new Superior Drummer. Definitely was a tedious time consuming project, trying to line up every hit as perfect as I could with the original track. Took me two full days to play/write the new drums out, I think it worked well. Thanks to those who sent me in the right direction to learn how to line things up beat-wise in PT. This one is getting vocals soon, so really wanted to get rid of the cheesy original DR-770 drum track.

I then spent a few hours last night and again this morning on the mix. Seems mid-range heavy in places, not sure. Been listening to it so much the last two days that I'm not sure if the balance is right, don't want to make any drastic changes without taking a break from it first. Wondering if anything stands out to anyone, R & L rhythm guitars are pretty raunchy, that might be where my mid-range problem is. Soloed they don't sound bad though.

Some parts, mainly the verses, might sound a little "blank" but it's getting vocals soon, imagine a Joe Bonamassa/BB King type voice. Plan to do it myself, should be interesting. The lyrics aren't fully done yet, and haven't fully decided on a title.

I spelled "advice" wrong in the thread title :)

Song 56 (Demo) | Johnny Amato

Wow, I Love your playing! Awesome tone! Im not getting the mid heavy vibe on my end....if I had to nit anything, something about the cymbals kinda stood out and detracted a little...but nothing terribly bad, definetly noticed there panning on crashes .... Again, let me just say, loved your tone...I see in the pics on the stream site that come up for this song that it looks like your playing a strat + deluxe with lace sensor pickups? Did you use that for this particular song?
Great job man, I really dig it!

Thanks Queepy! Appreciate the kind words. I do believe I used that purple strat on this recording, leads and rhythms. It's a '97 Jeff Beck strat, love it. The tone came direct in from my Digitech GNX3000, with a little tweaking of one the amp sims.

The panned crashes thing is kind of bugging me, too. They're all in my overheads, I'll have to look deeper into Superior Drummer to see if I can control pans on individual cymbals.

Last edited:
I'll have to look deeper into Superior Drummer to see if I can control pans on individual cymbals.

indeed you can. just go the mixer within. you should have an OH mic and then each cymbal as well. for some reason, when i bounce out to my DAW, only the OH mic goes. that's fine for me anyways, it's all i want.

are you turning that bleed off in SD? turn the bleed knob to the left for each piece in the mixer.

i didn't know you used sims dude. i'll have to PM you for some advice. looking forward to the vocalized version. great mix, as always. very smooth.

Thanks man.

I don't think there's individual mics for the cymbals, just the overheads. I did a bunch of research and watched a few YouTube vids, and it seems the only way to do it is to create new X-drums for some of your cymbals, create a new mic for them, and then you can pan them individually. Seems confusing.

Andrushkiwt- I got your message and replied, but I had to split my response in two 'cuz it was too long. Hope you got 'em. Never sent a message at this site before, not sure if it worked :)

Sounds great-I like the cleanish tone you're getting-clean but nice sustain, excellent precise playing, nice solo tone. Mix sounds very smooth to me, very easy on the ears. No critiques to give on this one-enjoyed the listen!

I'm certain I have panned cymbals in my mixes before. Try bouncing them out with the cymbals given separate tracks.

Back