New ballad - "When You're Here"

famous beagle

This one's a bit on the mushy side (for my wife), but I'd like some input the mix if possible.

Thanks for the listen.

Attachments

• 330 When You're Here.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 77
I enjoyed the song too much to really concentrate on the mix, it all sound pretty f'ing good to me.

Personal preference, I'd probably drop the Electric Piano and guitar solo down a touch but it wasn't a mix killer.

Fantastic song, mix, performance. All round :thumbs up:

Mr Clean: Thanks for listen and the kind words. I was wondering whether the solo was a little hot; it's certainly loud and proud. But I couldn't tell if my ears were just fried or not. I appreciate the comments. :)

It's schmaltzy, but I like it... the overall vibe is very solid.

I kind-of like the dry lead break... at first it feels jolting and wrong over that wet chorus guitar sound, but after that it grows in a really nice way.

I would like to hear a version with a vocal treatment as dry and brave as that lead guitar treatment. The vocal treatment suits well, but at the beginning, before the ensemble kicks in, it feels too over processed to me.

As an mixing experiment it might be nice to see how dry you can go on everything, and then add wet touches...

Great song and well done all around; writing, performance, mix, etc.

I thought the solo guitar could come down a bit. The tone itself will standout from the mix without too much volume.

Thanks for sharing this one. Enjoyed listening.

Tobe: Thanks for the feedback. I was definitely going for a drier tone on this one overall, and I didn't mean to use too much verb on the voice. I think it's actually pretty dry at the very beginning, but maybe it's a bit too present and compressed. I'll try some adjustments when I do mix 2.

Chili: Thanks! That's one more vote for bringing the lead down a bit. :)

Agree!!! This one kills. Great mix. The acoustic R seems WAY right (I assume that's intentional), but other than that, no nits.

Agree!!! This one kills. Great mix. The acoustic R seems WAY right (I assume that's intentional), but other than that, no nits.

Thanks much. Yeah, I guess that acoustic is a bit out there, but I'm pretty sure (I'll to double check) the other chorus electric guitar is just as far on the left. I think it may be off-putting at first because the acoustic is alone.

Very good Beagle. The song is catchy. Has a kind of unplugged indy vibe to it. You sing it well. The spare arrangement serves the song without getting in the way. I didn't find the vocals too wet at all. Lyrically, it's a love song. If I were to make a suggestion, it might be to turn the focus out from the speaker in one of the later verses. It is a bit inward-looking. And maybe consider whether you want to commit to the word "darling" in the second line of the verse. It seems weak and dated as a term of endearment. If it were my song, I would look for something else. The chord progression and melody in the second line of the chorus is a little jarring to my ears. Don't have a guitar in hand at the moment, but it seemed like you were going from the iii back to the IV chord, maybe?. Perhaps try a vi in there somewhere? Just a suggestion.

EDIT. PS, yeah, I'd probably bring the lead guitar down a bit too. The solo is well played, but the opening lines are a little tentative. I would look to begin it with a stronger melodic statement.

famous beagle,
Cool stuff. Not schmaltzy in the Bobby Goldboro Honey way but sentimental indeed.
The way it's presented is "raw" enough to avoid schmaltz.
Nice mix - I because used to the far right acoustic pretty quickly.
Solo levels - matter of taste I think.
Good stuff.

corr that's a dry mix,not sayin its odd or anything just that its rare these days :)

i LOVE that solo !!! you can play that fooker :D real nice tone too :)

5th solo listen - yip,love that solo

just out of interest how long did it take you to write that solo ?

listened to whole song = 1

listened to whole solo = 9 and counting

Nice sound. I might bring the right-side acoustic in towards the center a little, but that's an individual choice. When the acoustic comes back in during the lead, it seems a little low in volume, but maybe its just due to the lead volume.

Very good Beagle. The song is catchy. Has a kind of unplugged indy vibe to it. You sing it well. The spare arrangement serves the song without getting in the way. I didn't find the vocals too wet at all. Lyrically, it's a love song. If I were to make a suggestion, it might be to turn the focus out from the speaker in one of the later verses. It is a bit inward-looking. And maybe consider whether you want to commit to the word "darling" in the second line of the verse. It seems weak and dated as a term of endearment. If it were my song, I would look for something else. The chord progression and melody in the second line of the chorus is a little jarring to my ears. Don't have a guitar in hand at the moment, but it seemed like you were going from the iii back to the IV chord, maybe?. Perhaps try a vi in there somewhere? Just a suggestion.

EDIT. PS, yeah, I'd probably bring the lead guitar down a bit too. The solo is well played, but the opening lines are a little tentative. I would look to begin it with a stronger melodic statement.

Thanks for all the in-depth feedback! It's all good food for thought. Funnily, the opening lead guitar lick was the only composed lick in the solo. Which is to say I really like it. I guess different strokes. :)

Rayc: thanks for the listen and the thumbs up! ?

Cakewalk: glad you dug the solo. Aside from the opening lick at the break, it was all improvised. I punched in at the fast lick in the middle. So it was two takes.

Mjb: thanks man!

It's still not easy. I have to practice a piece for weeks to get to where I can play it and then it still takes 4-8 takes to get something I can patch together.

What you did in two takes...not with my fingers. :)

BrokenH: Thanks much. I had been recording all week for a book I was working on, so my chops were in peak shape at the time. Otherwise, yes it normally takes me more like 4-6 takes to get something good.

Bruthish: Thanks! The acoustic was my Breedlove dreadnought, and the solo was my Agile AL-2000 with P90s through an Orange Micro Terror with an Orange 1x12 cab.

Back