new attempt at a previous song

kylosius

I Like Rusty Spoons
ok, you all heard my friends version of Radio that i posted here. this is my version. i know i'm not the best singer. but i think this is my best vocal performance to date. there are parts where EVEN I hear my voice crack noticeably, and there are a couple of times when the sound clips from guitar being mastered too high. i mainly wanna hear comments about the mix. i used an SM58 (windscreen off for guitar windscreen on for vox) for this whole thing. it was overdubbed instead of live off the floor. the lead part in between verses might have a weird sound to it because i used a quarter instead of a pick (funny how picks disappear within a 5 minute period). i used my 4 track as a mixer and ran it into cool edit pro 2.0. i did a slight hiss reduction to this, enough to remove the noticeable hiss without taking away to much of the sonic quality. but this was recorded, mixed, and "mastered" all within a 30 minute time span of me having to go to work. so anyway, i just rambled my ass off. if you're still here go to
www.nowhereradio.com/emopunker
its called radio in the singles section. thanks

The guitar's low and high's are fairly well balanced in the intro.

The vox is overprocessed ... you used too much reverb.

When you are tempted to use a lot of reverb because you aren't 'hearing what you want', start using a tiny bit of delay, that makes reverb go a long, long way.

Your vocal is good enough, and the 4-track tape adds the warmth and ambience that we sometimes seek with reverb and all the toys in our software.

'dog shedding razor blades'

This is a hook for an entire song, I'd make a point of using that line a lot. You have a lot of material here, cut it, make it efficient so it works better as a 'song'.

At 0:15 the guitar is booming in the bottom a bit. Use a dime next time ? :D

Gee, if you sing this ok in the morning, later in the day your voice is going to be pretty good huh ! ?

When your vocal is complex, and we do need to understand the vocal here ... and you have made a fine attempt to mix it well above the guitar ... and that's good.

But when the vocal is fairly complex, sibilance will interfere with our ability to understand the words. Back off on the effects.

'Big fat fucking bone to pick' ROFL !

This is some sincere shit that's for sure !

This is heartfelt stuff, I'm glad the chick wasn't in the room ... :D

Keep working on this music idea.

You do have some intonation challenges and you can fix this by singing and practicing singing long tones with an electronic tuner.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing the growth of this idea.

Back