NEW Album Mixing

Nick The Man

My friends and I are recording an album of about 10-12 songs and I will be doing all the recording, mixing, and mastering(and/or lack there-of). So far we have recorded the bulk of four songs and we will soon do the vocals and then I will mix.

I wanted to start this thread in advance, becuase I will be posting all of the songs as I mix them. I would appreciate some feedback from everyone, because I have done a couple of mixes on here and recieved some good tips and tricks to make the mixes better.

Also, hello to everyone again! I have been absent from this site for a very long time... too long... too long.

My friends and I are recording an album of about 10-12 songs and I will be doing all the recording, mixing, and mastering(and/or lack there-of). So far we have recorded the bulk of four songs and we will soon do the vocals and then I will mix.

I took basically the exact same approach with a recently completed CD. My .02: start mixing sooner rather than later. At the very least, start doing the basic editing (cut and paste kinda stuff, comping tracks), low cut eqs, phase flips, track alignment, and any fx you can add non-destructively. I found that after a year of recording our 12 songs (one session every week or two), that I had WAY more hours of mixing ahead of me than I ever imagined. If you have a spare hour or two, start chipping away at it.

And be sure to keep detailed notes, so you know what you've already done. I drew up a grid - with the songs on the X axis, and the various editing/mixing steps on the Y. I didn't follow it exactly, but it helped keep me organized, and kept me from repeating steps.

Back