New Acoustic Song. How's The Mix?

This sounds great. You probably don't need to do anything else to it.

If I really scratched the bottom of the barrel, I would say to make the guitars a little bitty teeny tiny bit brighter...just my two cents, and probably not even worth the time and effort of doing.

Good job.

Brad

Thanks. I used the new Waves API compressor and EQ on his voice.
The acoustic was miked up with 2 AKG 414s.
I really like how it turned out.

Kinda John Denver with a slightly higher range ..... cool......:cool:

Just like Brad says - this is just right as it sits now. Super clean and clear with just the right amount of sustain and effects.

Great mix....:):D:):D

Kinda John Denver with a slightly higher range ..... cool......:cool:

Just like Brad says - this is just right as it sits now. Super clean and clear with just the right amount of sustain and effects.

Great mix....:):D:):D

Thanks for the feedback.
It took longer than I exspected to get it sounding just right, but it's worth it when your done, great feeling.

Is there any piano? or bass?

This sounds really awsome. Howd you mic it with the two 414s? XY?

What mic for the vocals they are soo clear and crisp. This is the kind of vocal sound I have been looking for.

Great recording.

Is there any piano? or bass?

This sounds really awsome. Howd you mic it with the two 414s? XY?

What mic for the vocals they are soo clear and crisp. This is the kind of vocal sound I have been looking for.

Great recording.

No Piano or Bass, just acoustic guitar and vocals.
I put one 414 just barely below the sound hole of the guitar and one about at the 14th fret. One 414 is panned hard right and the other hard left.
The vocal mic is a S.E. Electronics Gemini. The Waves API plug-ins helped with the vocals too.

Sweet recording Goodland!

If I were being overly picky I'd say the guitar gets a bit boomy around 98-100 Hertz -- most noticeable on that second chord (low G? Just a guess). That's usually where critical mic placement gets tricky on acoustics.

Aslo, I would take a tiny bit off the top end of the reverb on the vox.

For the acoustic solo, I would maybe add something to bring it up a little in the mix. Maybe double it, add a little compression, or a tad more verb.

But that said, it does sound really good to my ears. Nice job. Rez

I suppose you could stand to sculpt a bit of the low range from the guitar. To my taste, that's what I'd be doing, but you might like it like that. The strummed guitar I mean. Just a little bit though.

It sounds real good.

The mics sounds a bit too close together for my taste. I like them real wide.

I could swear I heard phone bleed before the first vocal harmony came in. (I know I hear things.) :)

Too much guitar below 200hz for my cans. The vocal sounds good but it needs a little more separation from the guitar. A different key is one possibility.

A nice tune -very pleasant voice - cool lyrics that are delivered unexpectedly.

It sounds real good.

The mics sounds a bit too close together for my taste. I like them real wide.

I could swear I heard phone bleed before the first vocal harmony came in. (I know I hear things.) :)

Too much guitar below 200hz for my cans. The vocal sounds good but it needs a little more separation from the guitar. A different key is one possibility.

A nice tune -very pleasant voice - cool lyrics that are delivered unexpectedly.

Thanks for the advice.
I personally thought the vocals were VERY separated and clear.
That was one of the main praises I was getting from others.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by phone bleed.
But hey, everyone was born with a different set of ears so sometimes there is no "right mix" if you know what mean.
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

Just wanted to let you know that I went back into Pro Tools to do some fine tuning on the song, the slight boominess in the 100 - 120Hz was practically gone. I think this is due to difference between hearing it in 24 bit (In Pro Tools), and then hearing the same song in 16 bit.
That's why it's always a good idea to check your final mixes on as many sources as possible.

Last edited:
Ok, here's my second mix.
Just made some very slight adjustments.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Nice.

Very nice, I wouldn't change a thing.
Just proves again that it's not only what you play, but what you don't.
Keep it up.

Back