New acoustic (mostly) song - Thank You

I think that you've got a great song going here, it's like a little bit of CSN&Y but with 1960s British kind of flavor. Great thing going on.

Since this song sounds like '60s or early '70s to me, with that nice mellow vibe (both in the music and the equalization of the instruments), I think that the drums are the only thing that don't quite fit. I think that the kick pattern and the fills that involve the toms sound out of place...they sound modern compared to the rest of the mix. I'm not sure what to suggest...maybe see how it sounds with less close mics and let the overheads do more of the work? That's a mixed bag because it might end up all cymbals and no kick/snare/toms.

Hmmm...I was playing with a song idea earlier today that I thought would sound great as a '60s psychedelia kind of mix and I was wondering how I would pull off drums in that style. I might fiddle around and see if I can squeeze that sound out of EZD.

First guitar solo kind of buries into the mix about half way through. Vocal is strong and well balanced throughout. The bass sound is much better! Drum rush is fixed. Still like the song! Great work.

Still think it sounds like 70s Grateful Dead...Other than a minor tweak to the lead fader, I'd probably call that good...but that's me. If you want to try to make the drums sound more period, you might pull that off with a bit of plate? Or just some full on larger room ambiance reverb (I still think it's funny that words like reverb and fader are not in the spell check dictionary on a recording website :laughings:). Coming forward in time with the guitar and bass sounds might be tougher...

First guitar solo kind of buries into the mix about half way through. Vocal is strong and well balanced throughout. The bass sound is much better! Drum rush is fixed. Still like the song! Great work.

Still think it sounds like 70s Grateful Dead...Other than a minor tweak to the lead fader, I'd probably call that good...but that's me. If you want to try to make the drums sound more period, you might pull that off with a bit of plate? Or just some full on larger room ambiance reverb (I still think it's funny that words like reverb and fader are not in the spell check dictionary on a recording website :laughings:). Coming forward in time with the guitar and bass sounds might be tougher...

Grateful Dead? Really - I don't hear that. Most of the songs I do with 12-string people say 'America', but that's when I DI it, too. I've got a large room reverb on the drums, but don't really want much more on it, but I'll listen to a little more and see. I was thinking the bass was up a little loud now, but that may be why the first lead part is soft, too.
Thanks for listening (again).

The only thing that stuck out to me was your tendency to oh oh the last note on melody lines at the beginning.
I like the bass lines but not the bass tone. The bass often sounds muffled - lack of presence maybe.

Last edited:
Rayc - not sure what you mean by "oh oh the last note on melody lines at the beginning"!

Tweaked the mix again, old versions have been deleted.

Finally having a listen on proper monitors...I missed my gear so I pulled them out of storage and put up a mini studio in my study. Small room so my bass perception is still skewed...

I hear what rayc means about the bass. Personally I like it, it sounds vintage to me. Maybe you could sweep around with an EQ and find some high-end definition on it, but I kinda like the mellow tone of it. It fits with the round-sounding guitar solo (which is perfect for the song IMHO).

I'm not sure if you tweaked the drums or not, or if they just sounded different to me over monitors instead of headphones. But I like the drums a lot more. I like the simple hi-hats early on, and the more jaunty hi-hat pattern as the song gets moving. And tonight they seem to fit better into the mix. Their stereo image is narrower, which I think is good. But that would most likely be monitors vs. heaphones on my end.

I did EQ the bass, changed sim cabs to 4x10, but there just isn't any high end in it!
Yes, I redid the drums, specifically for the verses and intro section

The last syllable in the 1st couple of lines have been sung like
I met the do og
in the par ark
We played ba all
till it was dar ark

Back