Negation 3

Wow that's crisp! Ran that puppy up about to redline and it's SWEET! (You don't want to know how loud that is with 220W/M3-8s in a 10x12.5 room)
The snare starting around 3:00 could be a bit louder...only nit I can pick. (It gets with the program at about 3:45.)
Are you running two bass lines at points or is that a REALLY lowered guitar? It sounds AWESOME!
Lots of hiss at 6:00.

Second proggy-ish tune in a row. New member, but damn, I might like it here. I like the live sound to the recording. It sounds like a great mix with an ever so slight blanket coating. Doesn't need to be bright, but could use a touch of sheen.

Wow that's crisp! Ran that puppy up about to redline and it's SWEET! (You don't want to know how loud that is with 220W/M3-8s in a 10x12.5 room)
The snare starting around 3:00 could be a bit louder...only nit I can pick. (It gets with the program at about 3:45.)
Are you running two bass lines at points or is that a REALLY lowered guitar? It sounds AWESOME!
Lots of hiss at 6:00.

thanks brokenH!
appreciate the comments...

on the mix,
i did not mix this, False Haruspex mixed it all, i just provided solo guitar parts.

i think a lot of the drums/bass were done live, in the room together,
so it does have that live feel,
which to me, is so much more important than how tight the mix is,
i guess it's a good place to compromise.

there is a second guitar part that comes and goes throughout the album, this was dubbed on after i did my parts,
they mostly support the chord changes and introduce cool grindy qualities here and there....
so it may be that one of the guitar parts (which DO sound down-tune to me) may have an effect on it...

but there are synth parts scattered throughout as well, could be one of those!

i think the 'HISS' you are hearing, is actually a synth

I enjoyed it. Why is anything with a slight middle eastern theme or flavour considered prog in modern times?

Good players. Sounds like a fun tune to riff out to. Pretty tool-y in some places. Good stuff.

The mix sounds pretty live-off-the-floor. Many frequency battles that don't flatter the piece. Very centered. The tones all sound really good. The mix doesn't take away from the musicality, but the song isn't really presented as well as it could be.

Good riffage.

Second proggy-ish tune in a row. New member, but damn, I might like it here. I like the live sound to the recording. It sounds like a great mix with an ever so slight blanket coating. Doesn't need to be bright, but could use a touch of sheen.

glad you liked it sammy,
well,
on this one, i did not mix it,
only provided the solo guitar parts.

i think the guys had a specific sound in mind,
and it was not meant to be super polished.
more raw, more real, less studio refined.

at least, that's the way i hear it.

---------- Update ----------

I enjoyed it. Why is anything with a slight middle eastern theme or flavour considered prog in modern times?

rayc!
hehehe,
i hear you about 'middle eastern'.......
that's funny.

thanks for listening!

I'm a prog freak and I didn't think it was prog.

broken,
yea, i agree about 'prog', i don't really hear it like that either.
the stuff i write for myself,
is more prog than this.

for me,
the 'labels' don't make any diff at all.

Good players. Sounds like a fun tune to riff out to. Pretty tool-y in some places. Good stuff.

The mix sounds pretty live-off-the-floor. Many frequency battles that don't flatter the piece. Very centered. The tones all sound really good. The mix doesn't take away from the musicality, but the song isn't really presented as well as it could be.

Good riffage.

thanks for checking it out, fishy....

this wasn't a 'riff' kind of song,
all the parts i can up with, where written out over time.

i can't say that the guys didn't start with riffs,
but at least when they came up with them,
they kept them in a certain flavor, at a certain level, they definitely had a 'plan'.

can't really comment about the mix,
i wasn't involved in it,
but i know i probably would have mixed it differently...
but i let go of that part.

i take the mix as part of their vision for it,
there are wide stereo elements that come and go,
so for the bulk of it, i think they liked it being more mono.

does not bother me at all,
in fact,
works really well in headphones or ear buds,
which MAY be the intended method of listening to this one......i don't know.

either way, thanks for listening

Back