Need your suggestions. must do Hi-fi stream for now

Freudian Slip

I haven't recorded in a while due to an medical condition to do with my ears.
My wife has been on me for some time to write her a song. As she puts it "even the dog has a song". So yesterday afternoon I wrote and recorded this. It was a bit of a rush job because I wanted it done before she got home. It took about four hours in all. You will also here there is no solo yet (sliced the sh*t out of my finger) as soon as I am healed I will lay one down.

Anyway with my ears I could really use some input on the mix.

THanks

It's called "Just Like"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=589306

F.S.

PhilGood you should be able to listen to the MP3 you just can't download it. I tried the download and got the same thing but the Hi-fi stream works fine.

F.S.

Hey Freudian

Cool song. Well worth finishing...

Although the guts of the song is great, I'll just pull out a few (personal) niggles.

Songwriting: I want to hear a second echoed "Just like" after most of those "Just likes". Otherwise there's a sonic gap. Not sure whether that might make it too poppy, but that's my first reaction.

Recording: generally great arrangement, but, for me, your awesome vocals don't sit with that acoustic sound. Either softer vocals required :confused: or ramp up the guitars and make the whole think rockier.

Love to hear how it ends up.

ciao
aspiring

aspiring said:
Hey Freudian

Cool song. Well worth finishing...

Although the guts of the song is great, I'll just pull out a few (personal) niggles.

Songwriting: I want to hear a second echoed "Just like" after most of those "Just likes". Otherwise there's a sonic gap. Not sure whether that
Recording: generally great arrangement, but, for me, your awesome vocals don't sit with that acoustic sound. Either softer vocals required :confused: or ramp up the guitars and make the whole think rockier.

Love to hear how it ends up.

ciao
aspiring

As for echoing the the "just like" Thats a great idea! I will give it a shot and see what comes of it.

On the vocal vs guitar I am starting to try and mix that in a little more. Believe it or not that is me singing mellow (and ignoring my vocal training ;) )
It's rather wispy for me LOL. brought the whole vocal arangement down into
the mix a bit and we'll see what you think when I get it a little further along.

I have also rolled off some more of the bottom end on my voice starting at about 125hz. have also rolled off a bit on the bottom of the bass and I pulled the kick down about 2.5db. So you will here that all when I get a little further along.

Great suggestions! Thanks for taking the time.

F.S.

PS this song is pretty far out of my realm so I am willing to try the poppy things out. ;)

Last edited:
Good tune- I really liked the tone of your vocal- it has a hint of Bowie with something I can't place- this is just a suggestion- I think it would sound cool if you added a second guitar part, when you start the second verse- perhaps picked, or the same chords up higher on the neck. Or it could be a totally different instrument- I don't know what you play. It just needs something extra there I think.

P. Wellman

P. Wellman said:
Good tune- I really liked the tone of your vocal- it has a hint of Bowie with something I can't place- this is just a suggestion- I think it would sound cool if you added a second guitar part, when you start the second verse- perhaps picked, or the same chords up higher on the neck. Or it could be a totally different instrument- I don't know what you play. It just needs something extra there I think.

P. Wellman

Thanks P.

I've been told I sound like bowie, morrison, danzig you name it:) I put up one song a few years back and got told I was the love child of David Bowie and Barry White LOL. I just said I could do alot worse than that.

I'm screwing with it right now. I just got the bandages off one of my finger so I might be able to arpeggiate something. I might have in the begining when I first recorded it but, there was no way I could pull it off. I want to do some fills and a solo but I'm not having great success. I just erased everything I had been recording for the last two hours;)

I think it's time to walk away for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion!

F.S.

Well Aspiring, I tried three differet versions of echoing "just like" . I just could not get it to work for me. After a quick mix of the first version I did I had to check my pants to make sure everything was still there;) It was worth a shot. Maybe if I had three sexy ladies swaying to the song over here to belt it out for me I could get a feel I like. (in the song I mean). Actually Ivan Nevill or BB king would work great. It's just too much of my own voice.

I have always liked songs pretty sparce compared to many anyways. I like the melody to carry it. I will keep working on something to spice it up though.

Anyone want to send me a solo? :D

Would also like any mix advise.

One interesting thing I found mixing this is that I had to duck the open hi hat where ever I was using an "s" at the same time. No one but me has heard the new mix yet. But on the current mix that's up it sounds like I am spitting out some real slobbery S's. I have never had to do that before.

F.S.

Last edited:
OK Guys. If you could check this out and let me know what you think of the mix I would thank you. I think the backups might be a bit low. Make fun of my solo if you must;) I'm not much of a soloist, especialy at the monent.

I did some fills to try and make the song a little fuller but I mixed them low. I need to find more diversity in my fills and even out the volumes a little. But this will give you the general idea.

You will more than likely have to play the hi-fi mp3 version instead of the download.

If anyone knows a better free server let me know.

here is the link.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=589306

thanks

F.S.

Just had a listen, great song. :) The solo was real good, I loved the tone of the lead guitar...what kind of setup did you use for the solo if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not an expert when it comes to mixing but everything sounded fine to me on my desktop speakers. :cool:

No matter about the echo lines, Freudian (although maybe you could post photos of the underwear arrangements you went through in the process :)): the new version sounds great! The fuller acoustic and lead fills close up that sonic gap I was talking about.

Guitar and vox now sound much better matched too. Excellent song. Sounds very pro. If you had a producer and engineer you could whack that on the radio. Your wife's pretty lucky.

That solo is OK. Over on my side of the ditch, solos have gone out of favour -- so I'm not used to hearing them. But I know in North America they're still king.

Thanks for the catchy hook for the day...

aspiring

i don't really listen to your type of music but to me it sounds like a pitch problem.. play around with it see what you get

also the dubbing of the vocals... perhaps channel delay it and pan it more an eq low cut on the dubb will help bring it out and warmen up your voice a bit

solo.guitar said:
Just had a listen, great song. :) The solo was real good, I loved the tone of the lead guitar...what kind of setup did you use for the solo if you don't mind me asking?

QUOTE]

Thanks Solo.guitar:

The setup I used was a prs through a peavey backstage (sheffield edition) into a sm57 mic a little off center. I pulled the pre gain way back on the channel so it would fit with the song a little better and I had a little verb on at the amp. In the track I used a pretty long delay dialed down in the mix.

aspiring:

Thanks I have many a song without any solo also. But have to through them in here and there. I'm sure I will redo it when this gash in my finger fully heals up.
Thanks for your comments & suggestions

Decipha:

I have the backups panned pretty god but i could go more. I haven't placed a eq on them yet but have been pondering it. I think I will when it gets down to the nitty gritty. I have a hi pass on the lead vocals at 150hz and a little pull down at about 300.

When you say pitch problem do you mean speed or off note? I know there are some sour notes in there;) just not sure wich you mean.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll check back later.

F.S.

Wow you wrote a song for your dog before your wife, I like that. I wrote a song for my wife once, "Shoot to kill". I guess since the dog went first, this song better be good. Nice tune, I"m surprised no one mentioned that it reminds them of Gordon Lightfoot yet. That's what I'm getting. Nice job.

Ray J said:
Wow you wrote a song for your dog before your wife, I like that. I wrote a song for my wife once, "Shoot to kill". I guess since the dog went first, this song better be good. Nice tune, I"m surprised no one mentioned that it reminds them of Gordon Lightfoot yet. That's what I'm getting. Nice job.

LOL! Well you know the dog don't care too much;) If I wrote her a equivelent song she would not be too thrilled! The dogs name is linus, He's not the dog in my avitar. That dog has since passed. But all the songs about linus use his full name wich happens to be "linus the Pinus" a name well earned I might add :D . I can't beleive I let that one out.. LOL.

Now the Gordon Lightfoot is a total new one on me. But I am singin this song different than any other song we have done. I am singing way lighter and wispier on purpose to add to the feel and try to match the guitar and what not.

I am really glad you like it. thanks for your comments. Now I will have to go dig out some Lightfoot;)

F.S.

Back