Need some listeners to my slow song

keem85

Hi there. I'm currently working on a home recording and I could need some advice. I'm fairly new to home recording but I need honesty and for people to give me constructive criticism :)

Thanks

-Kim R

Hey, this sounds pretty good. I am not a fan of the drums though. The guitars and vocals have plenty of life to 'em, but the drums sound kinda lifeless by comparison. Not horrible or anything, but with an arrnagment this sparse in places, the drums kind of stand out.

Piano sounds nice too, although the panning seems a bit odd - as if the keys stretched from one speaker to another and back again. Guitars sounded very nice. Vocals seemed well performed, but maybe overly dark? I dunno, I guess I'd look at shaving a little off the bottom end somewhere...good job. With real drums or more energetic samples, this could sound much fuller and better I think.

Wow... someone's listened to a LOT of Floyd!... This sounds very good - the sounds you've gotten are like a familiar warm blanket - very smooth & cosy - I really enjoyed it. I don't have any criticism - the mix is spot on & the performances are too. My only quibble is that the opening guitar lick is pretty much the exact same intervals that open "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", but without all the echo etc.
Overall, great job!

Thanks for your tips! I will have a look at the drums and make them more alive.. Thank you so much for your time! About the opening lick; I havent thought about that because I really didn't fetch any ideas from pink floyd, really! I actually made the opening lick in tune from my vocals to make them similar.. But I will actually switch it out now that you mention it.. I don't want to have anything that sounds like a rip off :)

-Kim R

Agree with Heatmiser about the drums, they could sound livelier.
Don't worry about parts that sound like existing stuff, it's kind of hard these days to do anything really original. This is a very good track and it's well-written and performed.

Joey :)

Yep. Good effort. I like the voice/vocals the most - mainly 'cause I just don't have a voice like that.

Is this mix dry? Or have basic effects thrown in? As stated previously I think drums are fairly raw (dry). If it were me, I would be doing something to smooth them into the mix a bit, but It's not my creation! You may like it that way, and that's cool.

Also, I don't know how you've sync-ed up everything - the keyboards are noticeably preceeding the drums (or drums lagging the keys). It's stands the most just at the very start, then it gets harder to hear in the mix. Just an FYI.

Cheers,
FM

Thanks! I'm so really greatful for all the compliment and the advice.. I wanted to make the snare a little mit more roomy with small amounts of reverm and I am currently looking after a good humaniser plugin as we speak..

About the drums lagging the keys or otherwise (you were talking about the hammond right?), it's the key-click thing on the hammond activated.. that's what's clicking

-Kim R

Hi Kim,
Nice work, better than your previous submission I think. I think the vocals are a bit too loud here and there (3:12 e.g.). In some parts the guitars go out of sync with the drums, I don't hear it as much with the keys but 1:15-1:50 and onwards the slow arpeggio on the left is lagging which hurts the rhythm of the song a bit. I dig the tempo change, and the piano sound. Thumb up.

Thanks singlespeak! I love your honesty. I will have a look at what you said as soon as I have the time.

I'm also trying to route one of my superior drummer sounds to a Cubase bus so I can add reverb to some of it and make the sounds more alive! But I don't know how to do it. If you know how, please teach me! :) If not I'll continue searching the net.

Also I am looking for a humaniser plugin to make it EVEN more alive. Do you know of any good humanisers?

-Kim René

edited

I've now updated the file. I've lowered some of the vocal volume and re-played the guitar on the verses..

This time I didn't hit the notes on the 1's on the comp guitar, on the verse.. I think in my opinion that this gave the vocal more space and also a space for the listeners to breathe and relax instead of that non-stop-without-a break comp I had..

I've also edited abit on the drums, but they are still too dry so I'll continue to work on them

Back