Need some Feedback on this mix.

alkie

Need some Feedback on this mix UPDATED.

Hey, here`s my submission for Starset`s Telescope Mix contest... I`m looking for some mix critiques before deciding if this will be my final submission for the contest.

EDIT 4/19/15 Thanks for the input I have removed the link until I reupoad the new mix in part with the suggestions.

EDIT 4/21/15 Here`s new mix using posted suggestions, Me think the bottom end is cleaned up now

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportu...missions/21f12814-e788-11e4-aa5c-0e71cabc7a3b

Cheers,

Alkie

Last edited:
The lead vocal sounds good to me. I'd lose the autotune tho.

The "ping pong" keyboard in the intro kind of makes you dizzy if you're on earbuds.

The mix lacks a solid low end. There are sections where you get a thumping kick and synth bass. But during the "fuller" sections, there isn't a sustained low.

Also the vocal gets a little covered in the fuller sections (the section that begins with the line, "I will travel...")

I wasn't in love with the kick thumping and the low seemed like it at some rumble. I could see the vocals coming up a bit or maybe when the bass is tamed they might work better.

When all the instruments come in (~1 and 2:15), it gets very muddy - the kick has a huge amount of overtone/reverb to it which makes it worse, vocals are lost in the mix at this point. In the end part the compression has really killed the drum sounds. I agree about the autotune - is it necessary to go to that robotic extreme?

Last edited:
the bass drum isn't right at all, too much sub bass, it lacks power in the bass area and it does get muddy when the chorus hits, there aren't many transients in the mix, it needs to cut through more, it's probably the brickwall limiting, but it's mostly the mix, the low end needs cleaning up.

Last edited:
The lead vocal sounds good to me. I'd lose the autotune tho.

The "ping pong" keyboard in the intro kind of makes you dizzy if you're on earbuds.

The mix lacks a solid low end. There are sections where you get a thumping kick and synth bass. But during the "fuller" sections, there isn't a sustained low.

Also the vocal gets a little covered in the fuller sections (the section that begins with the line, "I will travel...")

Thanks for the feedback, I`m working on those points, sadly there`s nothing I can do about the autotune as the competition only gave a full mixed Vocal stem.

Back