Need an oppinion on the mix and master...

DarkArchAngel

Hi there!

This is my first attempt on pro mixing and mastering...

I would really appreciate your opinion on song I uploaded on SoundCloud...
I'm kind'a lost in the middle of the process right now...

What do you suggest should and could be done, to improve the overall sound? It's still demo sounding and
I would really like it to sound it as pro...

I'm in learning process and I would really like to learn how to mix and master music on a decent level.
so I'll be happy of any suggestions...

Progressive instrumental metalcore genre.
Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-911555486/reality-check/s-rYsrN

Uploaded 192 kbit/s mp3.

Thanx for your time, appreciate it.

Regards!

Last edited:
The best place here to have your work critiqued is the MP3 Clinic, so I'd resubmit the thread there.

And don't forget to read the rules ....

Timbo

Uploaded 192 kbit/s mp3.

No need to compress to .mp3 before uploading. Upload a .wav file and let Soundcloud do the compression. Otherwise you're compressing an already compressed file causing unnecessary degradation of the audio quality.

When you post in the Mp3 Clinic upload an .mp3 directly to this site rather than linking to Soundcloud.

No need to re-post. I'll move it now. :)

Sounds damn good man. Unfortunately I am having foundation repairs to my studio so I am crammed in a little 7x8' isolation room with my gear so can't trust what I am hearing as far as balance of frequencies.

Last edited:
Good tight guitar playing.

The guitars are over driven and don't have much punch tho. They're one constant level.

I could use a little more low end from the bass.

Lead guitar was well played and sounded pretty good.

And yeah, I think if you upload a wav you won't get those swirly cymbals that you have.

Yeah, swishy, double-compressed cymbals are really killing it for me.

A lack of low-end also seems to be a pretty significant issue here. That's probably a big part of why it feels like a demo to you.

Around 1:18, it sounds like you have some timing issues. It might be intentional, but the drums are hitting something like half a beat behind the guitars.

Hello!

You guys are great! Nice response in just 24 hrs! :)

Thanx bouldersoundguy, I uploaded "wav" now, sorry for sore ears from multi-compresed mp3 :) My bad. :facepalm:

Here's the link:

YellowDwarf I will respect the forum rules, I promise ;) Thanx for warning...

Thanx jimmys69 for moving subject to right place on the forum. And Your comment did put smile on my face this morning as I checked first responses. Hope your studio is repaired really soon.

TripleM thanx for your comment and nice words about guitar playing. Interestingly, rhythm guitars are not really all that much compressed in the mix. I used DensityMKIII, ratio 2, 300 release, max 2db compression... Must be mastering compressor chain's "fault" that guitars appears to be over compressed...I'll check that out and see what can be done...

VomitHatSteve thank you... I think you just confirmed my suspicions. I think more of the problem is lack of low end on kick drum than on the bass itself. I'm thinking about boosting kick at appr. 50-60 HZ and maybe lowering it at apr. 150-200 Hz to compensate and maybe boost a bass just a bit at apr. 80-100 HZ... Would you agree?
Timing around 1:18 is actually intentional. :) I like this kind of dysrhythmic fills in song...

Hope to hear (read) from you guys really soon! And I'm looking forward for comments
from other forum members as well! :)

Regards!

at first I thought it was virtual guitar because it's so tight...not sure if that's a good thing. Around 1:14 - 1:20 there is really terrible timing clash in the lead guitar, it needs to be re-recorded in my opinion, it's very sloppy playing and ruins the vibe of the track, it happens again at 2:44, it throws you off and not in a good way. I think you can do it better than this personally!

If I was playing this, I would try and make the rhythm guitars a bit less tight, and the lead guitar much tighter, because I feel like the rhythm guitars are a bit machine like, and try punching in the lead parts, there's no need to re-record the entire solo, that would be madness.

Thanx bouldersoundguy, I uploaded "wav" now, sorry for sore ears from multi-compresed mp3 :) My bad. :facepalm:

I haven't actually listened yet, mostly because I haven't had the time. Also, I like to download the file and run it through some tests in my software, and downloading makes it easier for me to listen on my home system instead of on my computer speakers. The mp3 upload feature (in a new post or using Go Advanced) makes that possible. There's a Soundcloud tag as well that makes their link into a player right in your post.

at first I thought it was virtual guitar because it's so tight...not sure if that's a good thing. Around 1:14 - 1:20 there is really terrible timing clash in the lead guitar, it needs to be re-recorded in my opinion, it's very sloppy playing and ruins the vibe of the track, it happens again at 2:44, it throws you off and not in a good way. I think you can do it better than this personally!

If I was playing this, I would try and make the rhythm guitars a bit less tight, and the lead guitar much tighter, because I feel like the rhythm guitars are a bit machine like, and try punching in the lead parts, there's no need to re-record the entire solo, that would be madness.

Guitars too tight? ??? I have to say I have the opposite opinion. I tend to wish for guitar players that can play this tight. If you mean the obvious muting in and out of breaks, yeah, that seems a bit too abrupt. Though that is typical for the genre.

I totally/completely agree with you about the solo parts you mentioned. I would give opinion to punch those parts in as well.

Strangely, I do not have ability to see the time display on my Soundcloud. I know exactly the spots you heard the solo not meshing, but I am curious how you found the exact time without downloading?

:)

Upon further listen, the 'string squeaks' seem to be exactly the same on each side, but just out of sync. I bet this is just a delayed copied guitar track on the other side and panned. It strangely does work, but I feel the weirdness of it not being full because of it.

View attachment 98110
Guitars too tight? ??? I have to say I have the opposite opinion. I tend to wish for guitar players that can play this tight. If you mean the obvious muting in and out of breaks, yeah, that seems a bit too abrupt. Though that is typical for the genre.

I totally/completely agree with you about the solo parts you mentioned. I would give opinion to punch those parts in as well.

Strangely, I do not have ability to see the time display on my Soundcloud. I know exactly the spots you heard the solo not meshing, but I am curious how you found the exact time without downloading?

:)

---------- Update ----------

Upon further listen, the 'string squeaks' seem to be exactly the same on each side, but just out of sync. I bet this is just a delayed copied guitar track on the other side and panned. It strangely does work, but I feel the weirdness of it not being full because of it.

maybe that's what I was picking up on?

Hey guys!

Thanx for your responses.

First about guitars; nope, hass efect does not work for me.
Guitars were multi-take recorded and best matching pair was selected. Recorded individual riffs and mixed to the song at the end.
I think you have been misleed by programmed drums... I think they are to be blamed that song does not have that natural feel you (we) miss...

Thanx about pointing out the timing problem on the lead guitar track...I will definetly check that out...
I guess I have lost the objectivity listening over and over again in the working process...

What about the frequency consistency of the song? I know now the low end is a bit weak...
What about lo mid range, is it full and clear enough for you? I will probably need to cut that area a bit to cmpensate for boosting freq. below 100 Hz...

Any freq. range you think should be improved?... How does it sound on your speakers - studio monitors?
Another "pair of ears" is much more objective than just mine I'm sure of it... :)

Thanx...

Regards.

Yeah, the hass thing don't work. Glad you didn't use it, but I must say you then had some tight guitar playing. Props there.

So I can't seem to get time information from Soundcloud, so attaching a screenshot where I hear a really bad timing issue with the drums. The kick comes in early and makes the solo sound out of place. I wonder if you just messed up an edit there. It comes back in on time but there is something fooked there.

Attachments

• Where shit goes bad.JPG
    Where shit goes bad.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 4
I will also say that that snare sample without any variation is making is hard to listen to. Adding some layers and variation of the hit will help there. A constant repetitive tone (like a cowbell) is one of those things that can cause listeners to get annoyed really quickly.

What is the plan for this? Is there a vocal on the way?

Hi Jimmy69.

Tnx for your comments. Weird you can't see the timeline in SoundCloud, I can see it just as Btyre2013
explained. BTW Tnx Btyre2013 for that!.

I will check time issue you pointed out... I'm taking one more week off this track, to regain objectivity.

The plan for this; song is one of 11 - appr. 55 min. long album. No vocals on this one.

Be well.

Regards.

Hi Jimmy69.

Tnx for your comments. Weird you can't see the timeline in SoundCloud, I can see it just as Btyre2013
explained. BTW Tnx Btyre2013 for that!.

I will check time issue you pointed out... I'm taking one more week off this track, to regain objectivity.

The plan for this; song is one of 11 - appr. 55 min. long album. No vocals on this one.

Be well.

Regards.

Cool man. Yeah, I have always found it good to take a break for a while after getting close to finishing a mix.

About ten years ago I was producing a record that I was a part of over the course of a year. One song had a cello accent part in it. The mix was finished and someone mentioned 'where is the cello part'? It was so ingrained in my head after hearing the song so many times that I believed it was there. It had been muted...

And not sure what happened there before. I have the time now on Soundcloud. Internet poltergeist I suppose... Spooky! lol!

Look forward to hearing more man. Feel free to run the whole record by me when you are done. I'd love to hear it and give any suggestions if I feel I can be helpful.

Cheers!

Just noticed this thread was updated.

The splash cymbal is still pretty swishy.

There's a lot more low end tho!

Hi!

Thanx Jimmy69 for your revision, you've been helpfull already.

And thanx to you all for your comments so far.

I'll be glad to inform you about progress of this mix and about progress of the album.

Regards.

Back