Need feedback on my recording (homerecording / punkrock)

vamike

Hi!

I've recorded a bunch of songs with my band and some feedback would be great. (recorded in our practice space)

the track is mixed + limiter, stereo tool, and some other "effects" that I think work pretty good.

here's the song:

thanks!

This sounds really cool man. The performances are really good over all.

Is your final compression/limiting a bit heavy, maybe?
I mean, it's not ruined but I did wonder if you could get a bit more of the dynamics back.

Thanks for sharing. :)

thanks! I'm pretty happy with it so far. the limiting is pretty heavy, you're right. How can I get that "loudness" back when I turn down the limiter?

Ooh, you're asking the wrong guy. I usually just make do with being a little bit quieter than commercial mixes, I'm afraid.

Sounds pretty solid. Good guitar and bass tone.

Is this meant to be a mix or a master? If it's a mix, you're probably better off not using the limiter. Pass it off to a mastering engineer to get the "loudness"

The vox are a bit up-front. You might want to knock them down a tad and add some 'verb.
Snare could probably stand to be a bit louder too.

I thought this sounded really good. Good sounding guitars.

The guitars and vocal sound like they're in different spaces. The vocal is much dryer.

The only thing I didn't much for was the drums. Too mechanical and there is a "sameness" to every hit.

Love the ring on the snare. Great bass and guitar tones. The guitar at 1:55 is a bit loud. The vocals are kind of in-yer-face, which is okay for the genre, but maybe a bit (just a touch) of verb.
This is a very good effort. I too, was wondering when there's be more than brick wall...but remember, we're professionals (hahahahahahahaha!) and we're a bit picky. :)
Great tune. Well performed. Great tones on everything. What's not to like?

Killer song! The performance has tons of heart, and the production captures it. It does seem to me that the vocals are just a bit up front. Other than that, well done. :thumbs up:

Thanks for the comments! Really appreciate them! I'm gonna try to implement your advice.

@ VomitHatSteve: both, kinda. as there is really no budget I try to do my best to get the tracks to a point where we can release them online whithout doing something I/we will regtret ;)

as for the drums, in the original recording the snare and the bass drum were shitty so I sampled them (=> sameness). It may not be perfect but acceptable (first time I did the whole recording by myself, next time I'll do a few things different)

I could hear compression, pumping the mix, but I don't mind it. there was a time before I knew what the sound of compression even was. it's all smoke and mirrors I tell ya. I hate to say it but this song in particular calls for a just a little more width. I hate to say it but I think Two inch tape, lexicon hardware reverbs and just a little more amplifier distortion on the outro guitar amps and you'd have a song that could happier fit in with the radio. For not it's still just a little too demo sounding for the radio, even by 1994 standards. Keep in mind I have no problem with less than absolutely the best professional fidelity, I just think this song is ready to graduate to that next level if it's your original and you want to shop it around it.

Back