My track - instrumental - what do you think?

stigbn

Hi

I just registered, so I'm new to this forum. Hi to all!

I've been making music on the computer for some time and I also play guitar.

Here's a track I've been working on :

https://soundcloud.com/stigbn/2015-09-after-the-rain-vers-3

It's sort of ambient slow rock with some fusion maybe.

The rhythm guitars are synth-based, only the solo is played on a real guitar.

I'd like to know what you think both as a "song" or composition and the mixing.

The only thing I would change would be the volume of the guitar solo in places. It seems to get louder here and there. Level it out and bring it back a bit into the mix and it'd sit sweet.

Other than that, it sounds great. I enjoyed the track. (You've got to be a Pink Floyd fan?)

Good stuff :thumbs up:

Thank you mr Clean! I'll look at the levels!
Yes I like Pink Floyd. But this track was probably more inspired by stuff like Terje Rypdal, who used to mix heavy guitar sounds into ambient music.

Chill track. There are some slight syncing problems with the preccusive parts on the song unfortunatly. The mix is good. As I said, very chill.

With love

Hi knownasbeppe:

Thank you. However I can't hear any problems with the percussion, or maybe I just have a very lose way of defining 'sync', I don't know. There's only one percussive track and it stays in place 4/4 in all the track. So it must be some of the other instruments that you feel are deviating from the pulse. It might very well be, but at my current level of music-understanding I can't hear it (or maybe I don't care if they are not so tight? I like 'lose' music? ok, if it's constantly out of sync I get it, but I like if it's sort of 'floating' round the beat. But anywa,y I might not quite understand the problem).

Chill track. There are some slight syncing problems with the preccusive parts on the song unfortunatly. The mix is good. As I said, very chill.

With love

I know what you mean. But it's not a syncing problem. It's just overdubbed tracks that are working ever so slightly against the other's grain. No biggie. I always work the groove primarily, but that's just me.

"Waterways" is good too.

Dobro: Yes, maybe that's it. I always play very intuitively over the beat, so maybe there are things "against the grain" here and there.

Paw1: What a great track you linked to there. I remember Rypdal's albums from the late 70'ties, he used this distorted guitarsound in an otherwise soft, ambient acoustic sound. So unlike anything else at that time, only maybe John Abercrombie did something similar, but more jazzy.

Bruiser1964: I never listened much to Jarre, but indirectly his music are probably in much other music. Thanks about the sound. The solo is an Ibanez S though a metal "w" amp in Amplitube 3 and with a lot EQ cut out around 3-5K hertz. Other guitar sounds (arpegio rhythm) are from a Kontakt library (Evolution Strawberry).

Dobro: Yes, maybe that's it. I always play very intuitively over the beat, so maybe there are things "against the grain" here and there.

Dunno. Maybe. But the times I've come up with stuff that sounded remotely like you've done rhythm-wise, it was because I'd been overdubbing live playing over a beats part. Tons of fun. It's like playing to a click track with character.

Back