My new track - Lonely Ranger - help me make a better mix

Really cool song! Great song writing.

First thing that I noticed was the finger taps...assuming they are from the strumming your doing where the fingernails hit the body. Probably wouldn't be bad if they had some kind of pattern to them but some are off sounding. SO not sure if it was intentional to have them in there.

The second thing is that everything seems muffled. Maybe do a little bumping around 1K-4K.

Great tune man

Nice song. Love the guitar solo. The problem I had with this is the drums/percussion. It jived in some places and not in others.

Pre 80s songs are sometimes kind of like this (Neil Young/Dylan) But, it's always just for half a beat or so, so it's not particularly noticeable. In this tune, it's noticeable.

I don't know how you record. But, I know I've laid down a click track and play acoustic. Then I add drums, and sometimes, even though I played with a click, it's not perfect. Then I have redo the guitar. If you do something like this, or basically add drums after laying down the acoustic, it's really hard if there's a minor timing error to get live or programmed drums to lay correctly.

Still a nice song.

Just so you know, I turned off Edith Piaf to give this a listen. Sorry, just not as good. But, there aren't many that are. Can't understand a word she's saying, but damn what a voice, and the music... simply the finest.

Nice song. Love the guitar solo. The problem I had with this is the drums/percussion. It jived in some places and not in others.

Pre 80s songs are sometimes kind of like this (Neil Young/Dylan) But, it's always just for half a beat or so, so it's not particularly noticeable. In this tune, it's noticeable.

I don't know how you record. But, I know I've laid down a click track and play acoustic. Then I add drums, and sometimes, even though I played with a click, it's not perfect. Then I have redo the guitar. If you do something like this, or basically add drums after laying down the acoustic, it's really hard if there's a minor timing error to get live or programmed drums to lay correctly.

Still a nice song.

Just so you know, I turned off Edith Piaf to give this a listen. Sorry, just not as good. But, there aren't many that are. Can't understand a word she's saying, but damn what a voice, and the music... simply the finest.

That's great advice about the drums. I did record the acoustic to a basic drum beat then re-do the MIDI drums afterward (Addictive Drums). Makes sense that my guitar is going to be off the beat here and there. Next time I'll re-record them after the drums.

As for Edith Piaf, I think I'm a little out-classed :)

Really cool song! Great song writing.

First thing that I noticed was the finger taps...assuming they are from the strumming your doing where the fingernails hit the body. Probably wouldn't be bad if they had some kind of pattern to them but some are off sounding. SO not sure if it was intentional to have them in there.

The second thing is that everything seems muffled. Maybe do a little bumping around 1K-4K.

Great tune man

Yeah, I struggled with some upper mid noise on the acoustic guitar. Might have been fingernails, as you say. Whenever I tried to make guitar more present, it accentuated the problem noises. Was hard to find a balance there.

I did push the vocals around 2K. I was worried too much...surprised you want more but good to know

I like the song-good singing. That clicking sound...sounds like a headphone cable hitting the guitar-it goes on the whole song...I'm surprised you put up with that noise for the hours it must have taken you to mix this. That is a luxury we have as home recorders, being able to re-do something-so what is that sound? The mix sounds good-I second the muffled overall sound, I bet if you scooped a bit out of the bass guitar and kick drum it would brighten up a good bit, but that's just personal preference. Nice arrangement adding the keys and nice solo-I like the tone. Really sounds good, the song is getting across fine, but even if I wasn't critiquing this on a forum I'd be asking myself what is that clicking sound?

I like the song-good singing. That clicking sound...sounds like a headphone cable hitting the guitar-it goes on the whole song...I'm surprised you put up with that noise for the hours it must have taken you to mix this. That is a luxury we have as home recorders, being able to re-do something-so what is that sound? The mix sounds good-I second the muffled overall sound, I bet if you scooped a bit out of the bass guitar and kick drum it would brighten up a good bit, but that's just personal preference. Nice arrangement adding the keys and nice solo-I like the tone. Really sounds good, the song is getting across fine, but even if I wasn't critiquing this on a forum I'd be asking myself what is that clicking sound?

Do you notice the clicking most in the intro, or is it bothering you all the way through? I think I need to back off on the acoustic guitar upper-mids.

Do you notice the clicking most in the intro, or is it bothering you all the way through? I think I need to back off on the acoustic guitar upper-mids.

It's going on the whole song, loudest in the intro, but continuous. It's almost loud enough to be perceived as some kind of rhythmic instrument that's playing completely out of time to my ears. Apparently i'm in the minority so i won't suggest taking 30 minutes and re-recording that acoustic. Adjusting eq would only hurt the tone of the guitar, which otherwise sounds great. If you don't mind it and others don't notice it must be my listening environment.

Back