My label's first artist demo/album

pandamonk

Hi guys,

Been a long while since I posted in here, but here is the 1st demo song (will be 8th on the album) of my label's first artist.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=18699

The drums were recorded with the t.bone BD300 on kick, t.bone SC300 on snare, and a pair of Naiant MSH2s for overheads. Guitar was recorded with a pair of Naiant X-Qs and vocals with a Studio Projects B1. These all went into my Tascam FW1804 and into Cockos Reaper.

Looking forward to getting some feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Lee

Last edited:
It sounds good to me on RP5s and some isolation headphones. If I could suggest anything, it might be to limit the vocal by a decibel or so. Otherwise, it's really good.

It sounds good to me on RP5s and some isolation headphones. If I could suggest anything, it might be to limit the vocal by a decibel or so. Otherwise, it's really good.
Thanks for your reply. I'm really happy with it. I tend to limit the vocals too much usually, and always regret it. I must have overcompensated for it this time :p.

It sound a little weird. Like its missing a couple instruments. Its a little lacking timing-wise here and there. Specially the drummer and singer at the beginning.

It sound a little weird. Like its missing a couple instruments. Its a little lacking timing-wise here and there. Specially the drummer and singer at the beginning.
You are definitely right. It's missing a bass especially. We will add this, a violin and tambourine for the album.

The timing is also a slight issue because we recorded scratch tracks and no matter how hard I tried, the guitarist/vocalist couldn't keep in time to the click track. So, when I was recording the drums, I found it really hard to play to the click using the scratch track as a guide. I think I did a reasonable job, but a couple of bits are slightly out.

The guitarist/vocalist was struggling during recording to know where he was in the song, playing only to drums, so I included the scratch track, but this threw him slightly from the drum timing. Anyway, this was the best we got it after 2 days recording just the guitar and vocals, so it'll have to do.

What do you think of the mixing/recording quality?

Last edited:
I like it alot. I'm a fan of less is more and you've got a great sound there. The mixing is fine, the vocals great and the timing issue gives a nice off beat feel that fits the song. If you add a bass to this keep it delicate.

Recording's pretty good, but the timing issues make it sound more like a scratch track. The voice is too far on top of everything and makes it sound detached. Arrangement needs more dynamic, it drags a little. You all have to get used to playing to a click track if you want to do this properly.

Recording's pretty good, but the timing issues make it sound more like a scratch track. The voice is too far on top of everything and makes it sound detached. Arrangement needs more dynamic, it drags a little. You all have to get used to playing to a click track if you want to do this properly.
I'm used to playing to a click, but the scratch track made it hard. I think I did alright, but then the guitars and vocals aren't perfect, so it makes it sound worse. This is one of the filler tracks of the album. We even considered dropping it, but well probably keep it as a filler. He has some really good songs, but only have scratch tracks and drums for them so far.

Thank you for your post. They are really helpful, and you are definitely right about the vocals.

Thanks

What do you think of the mixing/recording quality?
I think the recording is good, but needs work at mixing. But ill be really honest. The drum timing is what really kill this song. I think it also needs like strumming guitars to change the playing which can be really monotonous at times and to fill the gaps. Also a nice bass complementing the kick to fill that bottom . You are on the right track. I know you dedicated a lot of work into your studio and I admire the hell out of you for that. Keep us posted. :)

I listened again and I think once you've got the rest of the arrangement in there, you should re-post this so we can hear it with bass and stuff. It might glue everything together.

sounds cool. i do agree that the vocals kind of leap out perhaps more than they need to. i didn't read all the comments, but is there bass in this tune? i hear some thing that's sort of bass like, but i'm assuming that's just finger picking the low e on the guitar? about 1/3 in there seem to be a mini-stumble on drums or guitar. this is a nice song...the drum fill about 2/3 in is a little off too...some possible drum spots here and there... is that a professional drummer? for some reason i can picture this song really building up by layering on another instrument or two as the song goes on (but drop back to stripped down by the end, but the simplicity is nice. cool little ditty.

I think the recording is good, but needs work at mixing. But ill be really honest. The drum timing is what really kill this song. I think it also needs like strumming guitars to change the playing which can be really monotonous at times and to fill the gaps. Also a nice bass complementing the kick to fill that bottom . You are on the right track. I know you dedicated a lot of work into your studio and I admire the hell out of you for that. Keep us posted. :)
Thanks for your response. If you hear the drums along with a click track, they're pretty close, but you might be right.Yeah we definitely need a nice bass to fill the bottom.

Wow thank you.

sounds cool. i do agree that the vocals kind of leap out perhaps more than they need to. i didn't read all the comments, but is there bass in this tune? i hear some thing that's sort of bass like, but i'm assuming that's just finger picking the low e on the guitar? about 1/3 in there seem to be a mini-stumble on drums or guitar. this is a nice song...the drum fill about 2/3 in is a little off too...some possible drum spots here and there... is that a professional drummer? for some reason i can picture this song really building up by layering on another instrument or two as the song goes on (but drop back to stripped down by the end, but the simplicity is nice. cool little ditty.
Yeah it's just finger picking the lower strings. The drummer is me, and I know what you mean about the fill. I was unsure of the song, 'cause the scratch tracks weren't great. I quite like the fill though, but I might move it around.

I'm not a "professional" drummer, but I have been playing quite a while and do know what I'm doing.

Check out my drum videos at www.youtube.com/user/Bomb5hed

There's a little too much bottom E boom for me & it seems to be panned off centre with it. This'll need a serious filter job if you're going to add bass guitar to the mix. As it is you might pass it now or throw some MBC on it to keep it tidy.
Song seems pretty good.
The voice is a bit above it all - but that'll change as the arrangement fills out I suppose.

There's a little too much bottom E boom for me & it seems to be panned off centre with it. This'll need a serious filter job if you're going to add bass guitar to the mix. As it is you might pass it now or throw some MBC on it to keep it tidy.
Song seems pretty good.
The voice is a bit above it all - but that'll change as the arrangement fills out I suppose.
I know, I felt so too(too much E). But we tried to re-record it and it wasn't going too well, so we just kept it. Yeah, the guitar was recorded with two X-Qs, one at fret 5-7 and one at 12-14, these were panned L&R.

I wanted to record bass first, but the bassist is too busy just now, so we did the guitars/vocals and made sure to record the guitars away from the sound hole. If the bass really doesn't fit, we'll just re-record the guitar(if he can remember how to play it :p).

I might use the drum editing abilities of reaper to pull the bad parts of the drums into time with the guitar/vocals.

Panda:
I´m listening on (what should be a :D) well treated small room (22 traps) and what I have to say is that everything sounds excelent.Vocals sounds fat and clear, drums ok too/not boomy BD, good guitars...
While drum timming issues are obvious, I was trying to "hunt" the tempo and seems you don´t recorded with a click -something "near 83BPM"- but not exactly.NO problem,I think Beatles never used these things and...:D:cool:
Waiting for bass guitar.

Congrats, good job!

Ciro

Panda:
I´m listening on (what should be a :D) well treated small room (22 traps) and what I have to say is that everything sounds excelent.Vocals sounds fat and clear, drums ok too/not boomy BD, good guitars...
While drum timming issues are obvious, I was trying to "hunt" the tempo and seems you don´t recorded with a click -something "near 83BPM"- but not exactly.NO problem,I think Beatles never used these things and...:D:cool:
Waiting for bass guitar.

Congrats, good job!

Ciro
Thanks Ciro.

I did record with a click. Well done, it was at 165 bpm.

Bass guitar will certainly help.

I think the drums could use some more of a big-stage effect. That'd make the song amaazzzinggggg.

It sounds very nice so far though. I like it.

<33

Back