My Guitar Player Found My Masters

BearFrog

So, I live in Nashville and formed a new lineup based around songs I recorded back in Cleveland.

My guitar player found my masters, took out the drum tracks, and decided to re-record the guitars and bass (we've key to re-record keyboard) and re-record my vocals.

Now, my experience to home recording is somewhat limited. Any tips on mixing to make the overall sound of this product sound better?

Be warned, there is some profanity at the beginning of the song (it's an in-joke for those of us who were involved in the Cleveland metal scene at some point in our lives).

I'm looking for advice on making the quality of the vocals and the guitars go up after recording them, and drums as well. My producer in Cleveland insisted on using Line-6 for everything and Drumagog to make the drums sound better, and my current guitar player insists on using his Marshall stack and avoiding MIDI (except for keyboards). Thoughts?

Attachments

• tonight soloandvocals final.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 12
The song had a lot of energy. Generally well performed.

I thought some of the guitar double tracking in the intro could be a little tighter. I'm a stickler for that - most people won't care.

The mix is missing low end. I'm not hearing much from the bass. Was there a mic on the kick drum at all? I can't hear it.

Guitars in general are a little "mid-rangey". Too much energy in the 2Khz-3khz range and not enough in the 250hz - 600hz range. Some good lead playing though.

The snare sounded a little thin and a bit weak. Needs more low end power.

Vocal sounds dryer than everything else and sounds like it's in a different place from the rest of the tracks.

Some timing issues near the end. Also the backing vocals that shout "today" (I think) seem off timing-wise in spots.

I believe I'm hearing some clipping in spots. You might have gone a little too far with the limiter.

Anyway, those are the things I would check on.

^^^^ All of the above (good and not good points :-) plus the guitar seems to be dominating in spots like the solos.

This song is loud enough. Rhythm guitar is off - not enough punch and annunciation. Faster tempo would help. Vocals weak. And the place where the vocals is "tonight" a couple of times wanders. Not the vocals - the music is just wrong . It is like you have some wiz bang effects you want everyone to know about Should be more of a hook there.

Back