my first track -- wanna listen?

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
hi y'all --

well, after having started recording about 4 months ago, I more or less finished a draft for my first track. It's sort of "electronica" with my own tenor sax. Hope it's not too cheesy and "danceable". Wanna listen and give me your opinion?

Thanxxx a lot!

Sort of muddy sounding to me. You might cut the mid-bass some. The sax wasn't loud enough and there could have been more of it. of course, as a sax player, I always want the sax up in the mix but still, this is pretty low in the mix.
I think this is a pretty good first effort although I'm not a big electronica guy.

This kind of music ain't my thang, so I'll just comment on the mix.;)

Sounds fairly balanced but kind of muddy. The percussion needs to have more snap and the sax needs a little sizzle.

Pretty good for a newbie.:)

What's funny to me listening to this is that I started doing home recording about 20 years ago, and I was getting that same drum sound from a Roland 606 Drumatix. I didn't like it, and just wanted to get more realistic drums... now people want that sound, and those units are big sellers on Ebay. Of course I was trying to sound like Iron Maiden with it! LOL

That track wasn't bad! I liked the electric piano sound, and the bit of "overdrive" on it (intentional?). Horn playing good too. Keep posting!

I agree with the mix being a little dull. I am not sure what's causing the "dullness" tho. Try cutting some lows on the bass or drum maybe..dunno...or pick some bright instruments. But, I like this song itself tho, a fun one.

Yea, I would like to hear the sax better, too. Just something to focus on, you know.

AL

thanks for your replies, guys -- I appreciate it! Can't tell you how much I learned over the past few months by just reading your comments.

I've made the hi hats/bongos/percussions crispier (high shelf + peak filter), brought out the sax a bit (less reverb, more gain), tried to eq some of the mid-bass out and replaced the file (same link as above). Hope it sounds better.

Schenker --

it's funny that you mention the Roland 606! I almost got one from Ebay but finally opted for a new EMU XL-7. The 606 is too expensive these days coz it's so popular, as you said [quote from Ebay: "get a piece of Chicago house history" -- for $1200,-! The box was in really bad shape, lots of dents/scratches, etc, and some buttons were missing].

The piano is Logic's "vintage piano" soft synth (evp73). Sounds almost like a warm Fender Rhodes, doesn't it? It's the only soft syntyh I used, the rest is outboard gear (Oberheim OB-12, Korg MS2000, EMU XL-7 and Korg EM1). The tenor sax is recorded with my brand new Neumann 184 mic (with the Aphex Tubessence 107 pre-amp and Alesis 3036 compressor in chain). I spent way too much money over the last few months to afford better gear which I needed. Ah well, I'll get there some day :-)

I've replaced the song with a slightly different and longer version, which hopefully sounds better (same link as above).

Thanxxx for your reply & comments!

I didn't hear the original, but this version doesn't sound muddy to my ears. However the low end is really lacking. The "main" keyboard part covers it up.

If you solved the muddiness by bringing down a large portion of the low end, I might suggest bring it back up and doing an EQ cut somewhere around 250hz-300hz.

Back