My first post - Stay in the Game

Tom Paul

I am a singer songwriter and I record myself in Cubase 5. THis is a song that I will send out to a drummer friend in Nashville for some real tracks. I get the songs about as "done" as I can before I decide if it's worth some $ for drums. I have a GR MP-2NV and some really nice mics and instruments. The keys are all samples because I don't have a real piano in my studio. I wish I had a great room, but I don't so most everything is close mic'd. I mix in the box.

I guess you could call this Americana Rap. Oh, my 11 year old daughter sings in the chorus!

How's it sound for a demo??

Tom

btw...how can I post a clickable link to these songs in soundcloud??

This is good - the drums might be a bit loud in the verses.
Acrid Zimmerman sounding main vocals. It might be nice to pan the fem backing vox a little away from yours say 10-15 degrees away from noon. If she double trcaked you could put them either side iof your vocal.
Generally very good stuff.
It'd be handy if you commented on the posts of otehr folk. that's encourage them, they'd get to know you & your perspective and they'd be more inclined to listen & comment.
There've been a LOT of flybynights in here lately so people become reticent to comment.

Real nice tune TomPaul. For a demo it sounds damn good. But, for a demo the first 10 seconds need to be perfect.

I made up the 10 second mark, maybe it's 8 seconds.

Any way, I say that because there is a flub on the acoustic guitar phrase @ G# 4 seconds in that might make someone hit the next button. It sounds pretty bad if you're intent is to impress someone in Nashville. I know you didn't say you were going to send it to Nashville.

I think you'd get some raised eyebrows. I mean really. Then once it's in the mind it happens again at 10 seconds. That phrase being the center of focus at the onset needs to be perfect.

Next it sounds just like Tom Petty.

The groove is good the chorus is good.

This one went straight to my "Good stuff" folder.

Thanks.. I'll look at fixing the guitar. I appreciate your comments. I get the Tom Petty thing a lot..both because of the tunes I write and my singing. I'm not sure what I can do with this song. Do you think other artists would be interested in something like this??

1st off, nice tune. I dig the guitars. Overall the mix sounds "thin" on my system. Especially the vocals. The singer sounds too much like Petty doing Dylan, for my personal taste.

Aside from personal taste. I don't have much to offer.

Back