My first finished song and mix in YEARS!

tubedude

It's probably been a decade since I last posted a song here. Maybe longer. Hopefully I'm on a roll now.
This is actually an older one, written around 2000-2002 I think. Not quite as dark and heavy as what I'm currently writing and working on, but I wanted to hear it "finished" so here it is. This is the same singer I'll be working with on my newer stuff, so this was good practice at getting back into the flow and working with his vocals. It took me 5 revisions to get the mix to this point, and while it's not perfect, it's not bad. Vocals were all done the first day that he ever heard the song, so I think we could have gotten much better tales of we had tried. But still, pretty freaking good I think. He's nice to work with.
Let me know how you feel about the song and the mix both.
I'm excited to be working again. :)
https://m.soundcloud.com/user7585884/fade-away-mix5

Hey Man, welcome back. Really strong singing, wow it just gets stronger as the song goes. Hold on to that guy he sounds like a winner! As far as the mix-My only complaint is drums, seems like the snare should be right up there with the lead vocal, the programming? seems pretty good, the first set of tom rolls didn't sound quite right going in to the first verse-and again that little snare riff around 1:13 and a few other places---drummers will be listening too and they will notice things like this. Guitar work is really nice like the layered harmony stuff towards the end, tones sound very good. You have a good balance between the voice and guitar, it just sounds a bit like they rhythm section phoned it in IMO. Sounds like you two are capable of some pretty epic rock music I just think it should sound like a band playing together as much as possible. But that's just my opinion.

During the verses, that L guitar is fighting with the vocal pretty ferociously. It's competing more than it is complementing, even into the pre-chorus. Most of the guitars come across on the brittle side, to me, and combined with the high-pitched vocal, it isn't something I could turn up very loud without bordering on the harsher side. At 3:50, the top end buildup reaches its peak with the extra guitars thrown in.

Drums sound really good, and great vocal performance.

Thanks guys. Tweaked the high end down some more and maybe got the guitars thickened up better. I'll post the finished one when I get a chance and you can compare.

The guitar on the left sounds cool. In fact, all the gutiars sound good.

The singer has a lot of power. But the vocal is a bit harsh. The screams at the beginning were too startling.

There is kind of a buildup in the the 1K - 3K range with the guitars and vocal really fighting it out. This is especially the case in the chorus.

Bass sounds OK.

The cymbals were a little harsh. The snare and kick are buried behind the vocal and guitars.

The mix as a whole is compressed pretty hard. It got a little tough on the ears after a while.

Vocals sound like Alice in Chains! Sounds great. Good tones on the guitars. kick is a little too far back. Maybe just 2db up and see if that helps.

Hey, I remember you tubedude :D Man yeah, probably a decade eh? Been away a while myself.

Music sounds pretty cool... Army of Anyone and Soundgarden come to mind. Well balanced mix from what I can tell in this "non ideal" listening environment. I've come to realize that feedback from people in "normal" listening environments is just as useful as that from people with low-noise control room setups. It's how the music would be heard by a potential "buying public" anyway.

Always good to reconnect with the best parts of the past. Hope to come by here more often and see other back-in-the-day people like you again :)

Hey what's up tube dude.

Sounds cool. Good performances.

I like the vocals but they do seem a little more in back of the mix at times. When he's wailing it's about right. Maybe there is some comping to do there.

Drums sound a little bit back as well IMO. Maybe it's just the gits crowding other things out. I like the guitar sounds but they definitely have more strength than the drums and vocals. Bass drum could use more boom and flap. Perhaps boost at 80Hz and scoop and boost again at 2500 ish.

I thought I recognised the name..welcome back. I'm a sucker for those guitar effects. I think the drums should be more present up there with the vocal. Otherwise sounds good on headphones. look forward to hearing your new stuff..

Back