My first 'Album'

_mike

Hi guys,
New to the site and just wanted to get some feedback from people who know what they're talking about haha. Basically I made this album which transitions from electronic music to various guitar pieces. Lame name, but it was for an art project so i got deep (or something idk :laughings: )

Made using my trusty laptop / free software as a starting point, now moved into Cubase after the album and it's beautiful in comparison.

Let me know what you think, thanks :)

You may want to post just one song instead of the whole album. I think you're likely to get more responses with that approach. Asking someone to listen to and comment on almost 22 minutes of music is a bit much to ask --- especially when you haven't bothered to offer feedback on anyone else's tracks.

That said, I listened to most of the first song, and it sounded pretty good to me. Lots of cool sounds and rhythms going on. The only sound that "didn't work" to me was the MIDI-sounding bass guitar at around 0:47. It was kind of too fake to sound real but too real to sound synthesized, so it stuck out to me.

Hi guys,
New to the site and just wanted to get some feedback from people who know what they're talking about haha.

To some "haha" would be an insult when you are just joining a audio community. As far as my thoughts, I will simply give you a pass due to inexperience. I never made it past your first song. As mentioned above, when the bass kicked in, I simply hit stop. That's the con. As far as the Pro goes, it sounded very clean.

Remember, you very seldom get a second chance to make a good first impression. Maybe if you give some background into your experience, you may get some very good advice on how to proceed. We all can grow regardless of how many decades we have been doing this, as well as how many children and grandchildren we have put through college, while doing this for a living.

To some "haha" would be an insult when you are just joining a audio community.

Man, you are reading way too into that. Why do you automatically assume he was insulting people? Why isn't it possible he was laughing at himself? He doesn't have much knowledge, he knows it, and he is looking for help, laughing at himself in a friendly way..? I believe your interpretation of that comment would be in the minority. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sounds are pretty good, I like the variety. Some of the noisey stuff is rather harsh, grating. But decent nonetheless. My internet wasn't catching up with the file, and it lagged quite a bit. Not your fault.

It was a lot of music, and so I spot listened.

It was interesting. There seemed to be enough changes going on to keep up interest.

Some of the synth sounds were nice. I like some of the big stereo synths.

The bass sound was a bit cheap sounding IMO. I didn't care much for it.

The cello sound was pretty nice IMO.

The clean guitars sounded pretty good to me. Pretty full and non-abrasive.

I didn't care as much for the distorted guitars. Not much chug to them. They were pretty fizzy.

There were some sections where the low end was almost all kick - little/no bass.

Hi everyone,
First off I just want to say thank you for replying, it's helped a lot hearing the good and the bad - more so hearing the bad so that I can work on it. I'd like to also apologise for starting of on the wrong foot (all unintentionally, trust me). I think that this forum is so full of really good insight that it seemed a little intimidating to me to start replying to other members with my own thoughts.

famous beagle said:
You may want to post just one song instead of the whole album. I think you're likely to get more responses with that approach. Asking someone to listen to and comment on almost 22 minutes of music is a bit much to ask --- especially when you haven't bothered to offer feedback on anyone else's tracks.

That said, I listened to most of the first song, and it sounded pretty good to me. Lots of cool sounds and rhythms going on. The only sound that "didn't work" to me was the MIDI-sounding bass guitar at around 0:47. It was kind of too fake to sound real but too real to sound synthesized, so it stuck out to me.

Thank you, I appreciate that it may seem a bit of an ask to get people to listen to the entire thing, at the time I didn't think too much into it and just wanted to get involved with the forum. Apologies for that. I think bass is where I struggle a fair amount, I get what you're saying though, I think I could do with working on bass parts more and really getting them to sound better in the mix.

Mack Caster said:
To some "haha" would be an insult when you are just joining a audio community.
This was merely an informal tone, I didn't mean to offend anyone, certainly not trying to insult anyone's knowledge or experience. I appreciate the feedback nonetheless, thank you.

TripleM said:
The clean guitars sounded pretty good to me. Pretty full and non-abrasive.

I didn't care as much for the distorted guitars. Not much chug to them. They were pretty fizzy.

This is what I've been thinking for a while; struggling to get the distorted guitars to have a little more oomph. Too much treble on top of overdrive/distortion perhaps?

No Problem [MENTION=197198]_mike[/MENTION]. :thumbs up: I look forward to hearing some of your work. I will be watching for it in the mp3 clinic.

I listened to the first tune. Cool song with a lot of ideas. Some of the MIDI sounds are retro in a cool way, and some really let you down. Sounds like you're going for the vintage 90s sounds. I loved those too but, man, there's so much better sounds now.

Okay, checked out the second one too. Nice. It's got a Wyndham Hill vibe, like George Winston.

This is what I've been thinking for a while; struggling to get the distorted guitars to have a little more oomph. Too much treble on top of overdrive/distortion perhaps?

Too much preamp gain. Maybe too much top end. But definitely too much gain. In my opinion.

Back