My Bass Sound

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys

I would like some tips on my bass sound. I don't have a DI Box, so I normally go direct through my Roland Microcube. I don't like doing that, so I plugged my bass into my mixer, used a free amp simulator (Free Amp 3 Full VST), and messed around with different settings. It sounds okay, but it's not all that great. So if you guys could give me some advice on EQ, Compression, or anything else, please do so!

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=974835&songID=8820791

By the way, the drums are Cakewalk's Studio Instruments Drums. I made the drum part up.

Roll off some of the highs. It's a bit clicky. A good portion of that is the playing (slap tends to sound like that anyhow), but you can get rid of a lot of it by rolling off the highs (above 2000hz).

Bass is a really messy instrument to record anyhow, and even the most skilled, level player can get it all over the place in regard to how even the volume and attack are. Don't over compress the signal, as you lose a lot of dynamics. Check the wave form. You can see where you are getting the spikes, adjust your compressor to compensate the average dB spike. Slow attack, fast release.

I take it you can't mic an amp?

Try the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. It's so good, a lot of players even use it in their live rig...

Roll off some of the highs. It's a bit clicky. A good portion of that is the playing (slap tends to sound like that anyhow), but you can get rid of a lot of it by rolling off the highs (above 2000hz).

Bass is a really messy instrument to record anyhow, and even the most skilled, level player can get it all over the place in regard to how even the volume and attack are. Don't over compress the signal, as you lose a lot of dynamics. Check the wave form. You can see where you are getting the spikes, adjust your compressor to compensate the average dB spike. Slow attack, fast release.

I take it you can't mic an amp?

Try the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. It's so good, a lot of players even use it in their live rig...

Yeah, I've checked that out. It has a lot of good reviews too... except I don't have the money. Haha, that's the problem with everything.

I don't think it sounds bad. It's slappin' so lots of high end. I think it could stand a little low end boost. sub-100hz, maybe.

I don't think it sounds bad. It's slappin' so lots of high end. I think it could stand a little low end boost. sub-100hz, maybe.
I would agree there, but not that low in the freq range. You'd be stepping on your kick drum there. I would boost around 250-300, but just a tad.

Yeah, I've checked that out. It has a lot of good reviews too... except I don't have the money. Haha, that's the problem with everything.
You can always use amp modelers and such until you get a dedicated bass DI. Save your nickels and dimes, man. I had one for a bit, and they are worth every penny, especially when you can't mic your amp...

Fuck dude, that's awesome slappin and poppin. Really nice ands tight. I got no problem with the tone. You'd really need to test it in a full mix though.

Back