My apologies Donna Summer

Bulls Hit

Many of you guys were kind enough to listen and comment on an instrumental sequencer jam I posted a couple of months back.When I went to add vocals I was struck by the similarity to a Donna Summer (RIP) hit from the late 70s, one she did with Giorgio Moroder. Once I made the connection I couldn't break it, so with all due respect to Donna...

Interested in any impressions of the vox, how they sit, do they fit, sound naff...etc.

Last edited:
I have no idea where you're going with this, honestly, but I didn't listen to Donna Summer, either... IMO you need to do some surgical EQ cuts in that percussion if you want those vocals to be intelligible. There's too much going on in the low mids. You could try some excitation or boosts in the vocals, but I'd start with the EQ, or consider vocals in a higher range even. (Once that's settled, then bring them forward some, relative to the rest.)

Well the chord progression is almost I feel Love - but there the similarity ends. At first, I was convinced my grandson's minions track was running at the same time - but it wasn't. Very sorry, but it was a kind of Moroder synth thing but the distortion and repetitiveness killed it for me.

keith.rogers - Yes you're right re the low mids, I just dropped the vocal onto the existing backing without any eq adjustment. I'll go back and try make some room. Thanks for the ears.

rob aylestone - Yep I Feel Love is what it almost sounds like but I couldn't get it out of my head. Thanks for checking it out

It's incredibly busy - the hard-panned synth things. The drums are all high-EQ, roomy and no meat. I bet if this was summed to mono the vocal would disappear completely in the mix.

mjbphotos - Yeh I screwed the original drum recording by neglecting to record the kick so I tried to rebuild it from the room mic. Looks like I still need to tweak them some more. Thanks for the listen

Man, what a bad ass groove!
I love this. I think the vocal sits well and fits well. Synth sounds really good. All your tracks are impressive IMO. I don't really have anything to suggest...I like it the way it is.

I'm digging the instrumental, but the vocals make it sound like Beck covering Skinny Puppy.

I'd definitely double-check the pitch on the vocal, and do some serious work on the EQs per keith's earlier suggestions.

Definitely a Beck vibe on the vocal.

The thing that stands out most is the lack of dynamics. Just way too much compression on the drums especially. The groove is sweet and the vocal melody is catchy. It's a good song and groove buried in compression.

Not hearing Donna Summer. It sounds like an idea that needs to be developed further. Toward the end, you have a break in the energy level. Maybe make that the basis for a changeup?

The song is really good, I agree with Nola. It is a Beck-ish vibe buried in compression. I listen a couple times, pretty catchy.

Man, what a bad ass groove!
I love this. I think the vocal sits well and fits well. Synth sounds really good. All your tracks are impressive IMO. I don't really have anything to suggest...I like it the way it is.

Hey thanks man. I tried to pm you re that other jam but it says your inbox in full....

VomitHatSteve - Thanks VHS. Yeah agreed the patient does need further surgery..

Nola Yes there is some compression on the drums, but not that much (and there's no more than a couple db on the whole mix). Thing is I don't want any dynamics on the drums. On this jam I want them all loud all the time like they are in the room. But yes there is some muddiness there that needs attention. Interesting re the Beck comparison, apart from the radio hits I don't know any of his stuff. Thanks for the feedback Nola

Robus - Her original track was I Feel Love. The Blue Man Group do a great version of it. Yeah a friend of mine has added an end treatment which we're just mixing up. Cheers Robus

Back