Music - please rip apart

Greenshoe

Would like feedback on the stuff I'm working on:

www.greenshoemedia.com

Any honest/blunt feedback on mixes, writing, performance, etc. much appreciated, esp. on stuff I've done in the past few months:

Misery
Is It Over Now
The Passenger
Stranded
Different

Thanks in advance

Didn't have time to listen to them all

I caught the first half on 3 or 4 of them. I won't comment on content of lyrics. That is an individuals thing. Generally, the vocals were burried. I prefer to have the vocals clear and clean, especially in songs as wordy as these. You need to work on your diction. Some of the faster worded passages get a bit garbled.

Some interesting musical structures.

sloop, thanks for the honest feedback. Always interesting to hear what people have to say online in different message boards and from others who are listening to it on my monitors at home.

As for vocals being buried, I had a tendency to do the opposite, so I guess I have to find a balance somewhere. In terms of clear vocals and diction, I hear ya - it's something I'm working on both from a performance, writing and tracking standpoint. I can always blame it on the gear :-)

It might be the fact that I was streaming, but what I heard was a very thin sounding recording with little top end (high freqs) and a lot of clipping.

The timing and performance seemed okay, would like to hear it again with more definition.

Oops, should have mentioned, Misery is the track I listened to.

You heard clipping? I'll have to check my levels...maybe it was the instrumentation on the track itself that you were expecting to hear - from the 2nd verse onwards it's clean guitars, and a couple of virus-type synths I used in the background, I don't know...I use the L1 Ultramax as a rough mastering/dithering tool, and it does funny things sometimes (or maybe all the time?)...as for the file itself, it starts at 24-bit, then bounced to 16-bit, then converted to 160kbps mp3, then converted (again) into a Flash swf file...and the lack of high end really is paranoia on my part, as my experience has been that if i really don't tone those down, the high end turns to mush or is exaggerated when i dither down to 16-bit and mp3...

thanks for the feedback though!

I'm pretty sure the problem is the fact that I'm streaming.

I prefer to do the - right click save as - thing but couldn't do it with your site. The lower the bit rate you stream at, the more definition a recording seems to lose.

I listened to some more of your music, I like your song writing and playing, for what it's worth, very melodic.

You asked for it, you got it.

Misery

Some slight intonation issues in the vocals. I really had a problem with the lyrics. The abundance of multi-syllabic words is awkward and disrupts the flow. How's that for an ironic comment?

Is it Over Now

Your vocals are a little breathy and could be more centered in the diaphram. I think you have it in you but you sound tentative. The tinkly piano-type thing is a little loud, but a nice touch. Much more economical lyrically and melodically.

Passenger

Not crazy about the 'drum' sound. Once again the lyrics need to be attacked with a broadsword. I'm sorry about this, but I'm of the opinion that lyrics need to be musical first, and meaningful, or clever, second.

Stranded

Reading the lyrics, the music took me by complete surprise. I'm not sure I dig the disconnect between the two, because I don't quite get why you'd be cheerful (or even ironically cheerful) singing these lyrics. On the other hand, the lyrics were decent and the music was good. They should just have different partners I think

Different

See above on lyrics. The vocals are a little buried.

Phyl, thanks for the feedback. I've gotten enough comments on the whole streaming thing...I was just trying some things with web design (I'm a huge Flaming Lips fan, hence the similar background color scheme..) and liked the idea of just clicking and listening...i figured most people don't have the patience to download entire mp3 songs...since i have craploads of space i'll probably upload higher quality mp3s and give users a choice.

ashulman,

thanks for the feedback on the lyrics. I do tend to be a bit wordy, especially in the past few months - the original lyrics were a lot less wordy, esp. on Misery, Passenger and Different. I've been listening to a lot of rap (Outkast, The Roots, Dr. Dre, etc.) so that may have had something to do with it.

as for the song 'Stranded', it sounds more depressing than it was intended. While I do believe that the listener's interpretation is more important than the author's intent, for what it's worth, i came up with the idea while waiting for an eternity at the California DMV to renew my license one day (really).

the 'Passenger' drum sound was just experimenting with non-acoustic drums; I'm starting to dabble in electronica/hip-hop kind of sounds lately.

I listened to all of them. Liked Stranded the best. But I was really hearing it for what it could be. That song is screaming for some "edge". Nice cutting guitar leads between vocal lines. Blues but with distortion. And a vocal with an edge. With some intensity.

But I'm s sucker for most anything with a good b-3 sound.

kjam22, thanks for listening!

i find distorted guitars to be hard to play and track properly, especially for more rhythmic songs. i can't seem to get it to sit in the mix properly without it turning to sludge, especially with organ parts going on. so i decided to just stick with clean sounds until i can figure out how to mix distorted guitars properly. any suggestions in terms of how to approach the mixing, signal path, etc. for distorted guitars?

and for edgier vocals, i know what you mean. i'm still wrestling with the technical side of vocals and for now, the edgier vocals just don't work for me without it sounding well...horrible. maybe in time...

See..... I think guitar is one of the easier things to record. At least it is for me. (I've been really struggling with an acoustic drum set lately) But I mic an old band master amp. 63 fender blackface. Use pre-amp effects to get the "tone" I want and then mic the amp with an sm57.

go to

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2124&alid=-1

Scroll down and listen to "dead flowers". That is similar guitar to what I think the song needs.

And I put a b-3 on almost all of my songs. The one titled set my soul free has b-3 through out it.... but with a clean lead guitar.

I like Stranded okay. I would just produce it a little different is all. Personal taste thing from just another musician.

kjam22, from my computer speakers at work here at least, i dig the song and mix. is that a tele you're playing? i unfortunately don't have great amps (a blues jr), and *ahem* a Pod that i use to track direct either with a Les Paul or a 62 Fender strat.

In "dead flowers".... it's an 83 strat playing backup..... and a 92 Les Paul playing the leads. Strat is straight into the fender, no effects. Les Paul is through a Korg effects unit.... then into the amp. Amp is miced with a 57 about 6 inches from the cabinet and just off center of one of the speakers. (same way I always mic it)

Embedding MP3 in shockwave

In your code I'm seeing you've embeded the MP3 in .swf files and these will then of course stream in our browsers ...

Please, for the purposes of this forum, it is better to provide your examples as MP3 that are directly downloadable, so we can play them in Windows Media Player or our favorite software.

Many times, members like to play the MP3's in software that allows us to use all the tools we are familiar with to analyze the mix in terms of frequency response and many other factors we can then tweak ... to provide you with response.

We can actually try different mixing techniques on your MP3's and then respond through that testing.

Also, shockwave plays music differently than the standard aps we are familiar with.

Also, the dial-up users here, which is the majority, and the majority of them post far less than those high-bandwidth members here ... simply don't have the bandwidth to listen much ... are not going to review you, especially a new member.

A lot of board regulars aren't going to touch the shockwave streams.

Please make a special page available on your domain webspace with links to each MP3 at approximately 128kpbs, and post that page only to this forum.

You don't have to make it accessable from your homepage, just for this forum.

For example :

http://www.greenshoemedia.com/homerecording.htm

That page could then have a simple list of links to the tunes you want us to review.

My bandwidth is not much better than dial-up, so I would benfift greatly by just using my download manager to download all the links on the page in the background while I do other things. Then I can review all of them right in a row, and do second listens ... etc ...

I really, really would like to hear your work, your lyrics are very challenging, I want to see how you approach singing them and wrapping them in music. At the very least, PM me the links to the MP3's at 128kbps.

The whole enchilada .... ahhhhh

Catch 22
------------

The vocal is mixed well 'out front', that's good, just a little too much reverb for my tastes with headphones on, but sounds better on my big JamBox referencing tool :-).
Substitue just plain old delay, a very, very short delay for reverb when you find yourself not getting as much as you want from reverb, rather than overdo the reverb.

The delay feature of a reverb unit is not the same as a dedicated delay unit or 'plug-in'.
I can just about understand every word the first listen.
Your lyrics are generally challenging to sing.
There are some intonation inaccuracies in the vocal.
Bass and guitar are well mixed, but you can still bring them down a bit, maybe 2-3db, to let the little organ shine through a bit more. If anything is to loud, it's the bass.
I would like to hear more of the guitar during the solo at 2:10, yes, the bass is to loud.
Perhaps you have overcompressed the guitar track ?
Yeah, during the solo that guitar needs to 'float' on top of everything, the percusion and the bass are to loud there, bring them down 2db, and bring the guitar up 1db.
What I'm thinking is a 'brush cymbal' keeping time, that may be a little loud.

Goodbye For Now
---------------------------

The vocal is mixed at the right level on the very first line.
But as the instruments get going, the vocal 'falls' into the mix.
The vocal is not mixed out far enough here, or again there is a bit to much reverb.
Watch the level meters, if the level meters are at, or exceeding the vocal, well, the vocal is NOT on top of the mix and generally speaking in this genre the vocal must be WAY out on top of the mix ... not 'just a little on top of the mix' ... WAY OUT ON TOP.
The woodblock is a little hot, bring it down a touch, because of it's sonic characteristics it cuts through the mix very, very well already.

At 1:23 that cymbal crash obscures the words under it, that's a vocal track no-no.
You must already realize my tastes for the vocal are to be able to understand the words and NEVER have to even think, for a split second that I'm going to have to struggle to understand the next lyrical phrase.
The lyric is GOLDEN, especially in this style, we must be pampered here, we MUST understand the lyric and that demands 'vocal headroom'.

Joanne
------------------
Again that woodblock is a touch to loud, because it has a naturally dominant sonic quality, drop it '3db' and we will still know it's there. It's the hottest thing in the mix right now.
The vocal is really good on this tune. I think you really like to sing this song.
The bass is booming out a little on the bottom end, you could roll that off.
I think the acoustic guitar is more important than the bass here, please consult your meters.
Remember, the bass is a 'line-level' instrument and you and the guitar are 'acoustic instruments', acoustic instruments at the opposite end of the spectrum from the woodblock.

This is a superior vocal performance to the first two tunes.

Start examining your 'preparatory' breath, I feel like you are holding tension in the top 'six-pack' muscles of your abdomen. Let that belly fall out to get that preparatory breath in, gently flex the knees.

Practice just breathing in time to the song without singing. One gentle slow exhale for four beats, and one gentle inhale for four beats, a very slow breath at first with a small volume of air. Increase the speed of the inhale and exhale and the total volume of air as the song continues, as you 'need'. That's how much you need to sing it well.

Keep rythm and you will soon notice that it is the 'amount' of air you take in and the speed at which you do that, that becomes the key in not 'suffocating' or 'hyperventilating'. It is analgous to bow speed and pressure and the contact point on the string.

Then practice taking one breath for every 2 beats, then one for every 8 beats and remember a breath is an inhale AND an exhale and each is equally important. This is an excellent practice technique to develop a keen sense of preparation for singing lyrically complex songs. I have taken this technique from a teacher and incorporated the breathing techniques I have studied in the martial arts and hatha yoga, it works.

I like Joanne.

Longest Ceremony
--------------------------------

The instruments are much to loud here, the vocal is getting swallowed.
By the time the acoustic rythm guitar comes in ...
Lower all the instruments DO NOT raise the level of the vocal.
Create headroom for the vocal.
This is a good singing performance, the range is limited and it's peppy and you are doing a good job here so let that vocal out of that instrument prison you've mixed it into.
YOU ARE THE STAR, your VOCAL is the star, don't cheat us, don't cheat the lyric.
Now I can understand the lyric because your pronuciation is good, but I want at least 2db or 3db more on the vocal.

The organ just before 2:50 is just to loud. What am I supposed to be focused on here, the staccato organ jabs ... or the vocal. Leave no question about that matter. Create more headroom for the vocal, always in this lyric driven style.

Naked Disguise
-------------------------

Drums are louder than the vocal ??? just by a hair maybe, look at your meters. At 0:10 and 0:11 no matter how much I listen I cannot understand that bit of the vocal.
Create more headroom for your vocal.
You already know what I'm going to say about 0:44, the vocal is buried.
Lot of commotion going on there, the vocal needs a lot more headroom.
1:20, drum is to loud, think about the sonic characteristics about this snare it is 'designed' to cut through the 'battlefield' during a WAR ... take it down 3db at least.
At 1:54, again the instruments are simply stomping all over the vocal.
At 2:26, the vocal is nice, but a bit to much reverb.
It seems the better the vocal section is ... the more you want to pretty it up ? Bad habit, (mix wise).

Rangoon
---------------
That sidestick is to loud, you know that.
There is not enough headroom for the vocal.
I'm having difficulty understanding the lyric on this first listen.
I like your string arrangement the cellos filling on the verse.
This is a nice song, I'm at the hooks now ...
Yes, nice string arranging.
I'm going to be blunt, you need some vocal lessons, some serious technique work will take you to a new level.
You HAVE what you need, you need to learn how to use it better, and you are obviously intelligent.
Check out some yoga classes, hatha yoga, check out the practice of breath.
Get yee to a vocal 'teacher' at a university, someone who specializes in 'technique', seek out a baritone tenor or a second tenor, because you are a second tenor ... baritone tenor. Don't get a teacher who wants to teach you songs and reperetoire, get a 'technician'.
At 3:48 you really open up on that hook word, 'Rangoon', and I know it's in there, tension is keeping it in, pay close attention to the top two primary muscles in your abdomen when you are singing, they should be loose around your heart, your rib cage should be open and distended ... yes ... at all time.

Rangoon is a pretty song, we can hear your sincere affection for Rangoon here.
That stick is annoying the hell out of me ... lol :-)
At the end, look into using a fade on all the instruments, it's tedious work, but it's worth it and it distinguishes the mix from the amateur to the pro. Better yet, send all the instruments to a single bus and fade them all at the same time.

Refugee
-------------

The percussion in the beginning is mixed much more thoughtfully here, the nice guitar is secondary to your voice and yes ... the vocal is mixed much better here. Good vocal performance here also.
At 0:40, I'm gonna break that sidestick or woodblock into a jillion pieces ... bring it WAY down.

This is a cute song.
Nice pedal steel ? But that stick is killin' it.
At 1:51 the bass is much to strong, bring it down 4-6db, really.
Look at the meters here, the bass is going to be peaking way above the other things ... yes ?
3:06, bass still much to loud.

Good vocal performance on this tune.

Take Me Away
------------------------------
Instruments came down nicely when the vocals came in, did you sidechain compress the bus the instruments were on ?
Yes, I want more vocal here, the bass is booming just a touch over the vocal, the guitar is too loud.

I'm comparing everything in your songs to the vocal levels, because ya know ... that's what you are all about, the vocals, so the treatment of the vocal is absolutely key in all of your works.

I'd like to hear a string arrangement in this tune and cut the funky guitar except in the intro. IMHO.

When Worlds Collide
--------------------------------
Nice cello intro.
When that fine ass classical guitar comes in, mix the cello way, way back. Let's hear that flamenco guitar. We've already had a taste of that cello melodic material, push it out of the way, let us munch on that nice acoustic guitar work.

At 0:44 when the vocal comes in, I'm hearing some keyboard instrument, it's too loud and too busy.

Yes, we need not only more sonic headroom for the vocal, but a bit more space in general here.

Bass is to loud, I'm at 1:38.
Ok, the hook at 1:51 should be SOARING above the mix ... need a lot more headroom here.

I can understand the lyric for the mostpart in this song, the tailends of some phrases are getting swallowed up in the bass and the geneal sonic clutter sometimes.

If you are using mastering compression, or when you are normalizing all these songs, you can overdo this, dynamics are good. We do have volume knobs on our equiptment, it doesn't have to be perfectly normalized ... now I'm talking about a lot more work here but that's your mission ...
I like the use of the cello here, that's a pretty good soundfont-sample.
The percussion is really to loud here, but I understand you are probably trying to cover the artificial cello sample here ... maybe.

Shiver
---------------
Ok, the vocal mix is ok, but that stick is simply much to hot.
The stick is never a solo instrument ;-) , bring it down hotshot :-)

By 0:34, you are bringing in this shimmering organ thing, well ... it's to loud, bring it down a few db please.

At 1:14 we have a very gentle lyrical moment ... these 'raindrops', and that stick is like HAIL on a tin roof :-) ... you really don't need that.
The use of block or stick in soft music like this should be extremely sparingly used, it yanks our heads around ... don't cry wolf with it.

Shadow Boxing
Ok, I'm jamming along in the beginning.
Shades of Paul Simon here.
Listen to Paul Simon's music, see how they treat his vocal, that's how you should be mixing most of yours.

The instruments all need to be sent to one bus and then run a single compressor on that bus, so the vocal can always show a meter level above that bus, I really think that is a possible solution to get a better mix for your vocal.

Once again, run all the instruments to a single bus, and compress that bus.

I like this tune, I could drive down the highway in a convertible with the wind in my hair and all that with this playing ... tapping the foot here.

At the end of Shadow Boxing you 'drag' your chord formation up the neck of the guitar, this is amateur don't do it, it ruins the mood you have created with the song, unless it is really an artistic device you really mean to be in the song, otherwise it's kind of like saying 'this sucks' ...

A Blind Faith
----------------------
Very nice pretty guitar in the beginning, nice guitar sound.
This is near the heart of your vocal range, and the vocal is mixed nearly properly.

The guitar is a little dominating. Again check out my suggestion of seperating your vocal from all the instruments by sending all the instruments through one compressed bus, and the vocal is free to go through its own less compressed bus.

This is a NICE song, you enjoy singing it, I can tell.

If you really fill up your belly in preparation for this low vocal part and release all tension 'Before beginning the exhale and the phrase' ... that can get even better, and it's nice now, nice hook in your lower vocal register.

Is It Over Now
Buddy Holly ? :-)
Your voice is nice here, but it's just dripping with so much reverb ...
Paul Simon coming through a bit again, study his mixes and how the pros are treating his voice.
'Do we both know how' , nice job on that high part in the vocal.

'Do we both know how', the second time is good too, that's a tough bit to sing there.

Your vocal is one of the best takes here on this song. You get lazy on some of your pronunciation and I think it's because you don't have the lyrics in front of you. Take the lyrics and print them at a 14 font size, and just glance at each phrase before you sing it. Memory is great, but sometimes taking the 'brain CPU' cycles to remember can detract a bit from the intense amount of brain power it take to ... sing well under the gun of the recording session.

the guitar is just too loud, consult your meters. Your voice should really be soaring above everything on this mix, at 3:49, thereabouts you are up in your head-voice and you really open up your sinuses on one particular word, that's fantastic.

The third hook, 'Is it over now' is really done well. Notice how much louder one guitar is than the other, the sparkly guitar the strat, is much, much louder than what sounds like a semi-hollow body.

That's a good performance, just bring the guitar down.

Different
----------------
Vocal is just buried. Get the lyrics in front of you here. Your pronunciation is suffering here.

Passenger
----------------
Nice Jazz guitar in the beginning. The string orchestral hits are really faky here ...
Perhaps put a full slapback delay on these orchestral hits and mix them way, way back.

The bass is to loud.
Your vocal performance is nice here, don't let the bass stomp all over it.

At 2:15, I like this change, and the cello is nice. Good string 'Idee Fixee'.
Nice Break Section.

You gotta have a fade on the end of this, it just hits a little wall at the end.

Stranded
---------------------
A country tune. LOL .
I like the 'mexican horn section' IMHO.
The instrument are a bit loud again, I have to struggle to understand the lyrics they are at the 'understandable threshold' some are not understandable, and I always refer to the understandability of the lyrics on the 'first listen'.

Thank you for sharing a lot of 'you' with us here at homerecording.com , the opportunity to review the mix on an entire album and more has been a very good learning experience for me. Please post your equiptment list for the majority of this work.

studioviols, WOW. Thanks for spending the time to listen and write such a detailed response and feedback!

In short - all my mixes really need some work; my goal for doing all the stuff myself was to get some rough ideas down, and in time go to a studio and re-track and re-mix some of the stuff, especially the vocals.

Here's what I'm using:

- Mac G4 450 (argh, loud fan)
- Digi 001 w/ Protools LE, use mostly McDSP plugs for comp, EQ, and tape saturation, and Waves for reverb and use the L1 for dither/rough master
- Monitor through Event PS5s
- Studio Projects VTB-1 with RNC (very light) for vox
- M-Audio DMP3 for acoustic guitars
- Guitar POD 2.0
- Bass POD
- Reason 2.5 as sampler/soft synth
- Korg 01/W for synths, keyboards
- Neumann TLM-103 for vox
- Rode NT5 stereo pair for acoustic guitars
- Martin DM
- Takamine nylon string
- Les Paul Studio
- Fender USA 62 Strat
- Yamaha bass (cheapie, don't know the model)
- 4/4 cello (very old) that needs a bridge replacement

I track and mix in a less than ideal room in my apt - about 10.5 x 10.5 x 8 which I've put some Auralex foam on the walls to deaden the nasty slapback echo.

For the cello parts you heard in some of the songs - as you guessed it was fake. Since I do play cello, I wanted to use a real one, but couldn't mic it properly and the bridge needs to be replaced and the fake cello is bascially a placeholder for now.

I guess you don't like the rimshots and woodblocks huh? :-) I tend to mix the upbeat drum parts - snare, rim, woodblocks rather hot; I listen to a lot of hip-hop and I guess it seeps into my stuff, albeit in a roundabout way.

Funny you should mention Paul Simon. I haven't listened to him in years, but was one of my favorite artists back in the cassette tape era - you inspired me to go to the local Best Buy today to get the new best of CD. I also don't listen to much country except for Willie Nelson, Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, but growing up in Alberta (where kd lang was from and is the texas of canada) country music was the soundtrack of daily life, so I guess it just shows up in stuff I write.

As for the vocals, there's a couple of things that are happening: I have been taking some lessons for about a year, and I'm at the point now that I can focus on technique OR performance, and not both yet - she's been nagging me about yoga for a while, and only started doing it; and it doesn't help that I smoke (trying to quit...ha ha). I'm sure that my square room with CPU fan noise is less than ideal acoustically for recording as well. Also, over time I'm becoming less impressed with the Neumann TLM-103 - while it was a huge difference compared to the crappy Chinese mic that I got free, it does have a harsh quality that I really have to EQ, even when I'm tracking off-axis about 30 degrees. The VTB-1 may also be an issue as well, I don't know. I also have no idea what I'm doing in terms of EQing, compressing vocals. I'm getting a much better handle on tracking and mixing other instruments, but tracking and mixing vocals still stump me.

Anyhow, thanks for listening and I definitely know what I need to work on. I posted stuff on boards like this one to see if I'm generally on the right track for demo-type material. I'm going to continue writing and recording, and if I have the balls to follow through on my plans, in about 6 months time with some more money saved up I'm going to quit my job and go back to Vancouver - re-track, re-mix some of this stuff and try to self-release and distribute an album (hopefully my MBA isn't worthless) and pursue acting (yes, really).

Just a prelim note... (actually typing this AFTER reviewing your songs...) If you'd like more comments on your stuff, please limit it to at most two songs... if not just one at a time. It's not a rule, but the clinic seems to work that way... the more choices people get, the more likely they are to run away :D

Thanks.

Catch-22

Full spectrum... great mix... vocal is heavy in the low mids... mic choice, or a small cut below 150-180Hz...

This sounds like the late 60's/early 70's...

Did you have a cold when singing this? Sounds a bit more nasally than avg.

Your songs seem to need background vocals in a bad, bad way... really that would be a great avenue of improvement (IMNSHO).

Shadow Boxing

Really nice, full spectrum of sound... that said.. the vocal has a *touch* too much low-mid... try a roll-off around 180Hz and see if that doesn't make the voice sound small, or unnatural.

Mixed pretty professionally... nice job. I like the little maj 7th flavors thrown in there during the chorus. Very sweet. Such a sad, but hopeful chord...

Vocal may need a more charismatic delivery, but that's a personal preference. Some BGV vocals would really set this off, IMO... esp. during the chorus.

Very enjoyable composition. NIIICE performance. Some nice saxophone on this would really, really help it too. Hopefully LT. BOB SEES THIS!! :D :D (uh... the Lt. is a helluva sax player...)

The "wocka wocka..." almost wah wah pedal sound throughout is really cool... is that just palm muting, and finger squeaks? It gives the song movement. I love it.

Chad w/5 (for "Shadow Boxing")

Just a prelim note... (actually typing this AFTER reviewing your songs...) If you'd like more comments on your stuff, please limit it to at most two songs... if not just one at a time. It's not a rule, but the clinic seems to work that way... the more choices people get, the more likely they are to run away :D

Thanks.

Catch-22

Full spectrum... great mix... vocal is heavy in the low mids... mic choice, or a small cut below 150-180Hz...

This sounds like the late 60's/early 70's...

Did you have a cold when singing this? Sounds a bit more nasally than avg.

Your songs seem to need background vocals in a bad, bad way... really that would be a great avenue of improvement (IMNSHO).

Shadow Boxing

Really nice, full spectrum of sound... that said.. the vocal has a *touch* too much low-mid... try a roll-off around 180Hz and see if that doesn't make the voice sound small, or unnatural.

Mixed pretty professionally... nice job. I like the little maj 7th flavors thrown in there during the chorus. Very sweet. Such a sad, but hopeful chord...

Vocal may need a more charismatic delivery, but that's a personal preference. Some BGV vocals would really set this off, IMO... esp. during the chorus.

Very enjoyable composition. NIIICE performance. Some nice saxophone on this would really, really help it too. Hopefully LT. BOB SEES THIS!! :D :D (uh... the Lt. is a helluva sax player...)

The "wocka wocka..." almost wah wah pedal sound throughout is really cool... is that just palm muting, and finger squeaks? It gives the song movement. I love it.

Chad w/5 (for "Shadow Boxing")

Back