mp3 or wav

sparky123

ok. I see this is an mp3 site but I have 3 tracks recorded with my 15 year old daughter and would like to know how to get this on the Home Recording Forum for some feedback. These tracks are wave files so maybe someone can show me how to get these tracks into the forum. Currently have the tracks on cd after burning a mix. Though i'm sure many of you have done this many times i'm not sure how to get these tracks here to this site. I do have a basic Soundcloud account.

Just load them up to Soundcloud or whatever as WAVs and the site will convert them for you, I believe*.... I don't think any of these music sites will host WAVs for you as a default.

And, for the record, this is not an "mp3 site" - this is a recording site. No-one records in MP3 - it's a conversion applied to enable people here to listen to songs so that massive downloads aren't required.

* I could be wrong. Just try it and see how big the resultant file is....

I believe you can attach mp3s directly to posts here. (You may need a minimum rep though)

I'm not a huge fan of soundcloud actually. I might recommend bandcamp instead. I'm pretty sure they allow wav uploads, and if you enable free downloads, we can each listen at whatever fidelity we want. (i.e. audiophiles with fast internet connections can get a lossless flac and hear what you REALLY recorded rather than some mp3 artifacts :D )

I believe you can attach mp3s directly to posts here. (You may need a minimum rep though)

I'm not a huge fan of soundcloud actually. I might recommend bandcamp instead. I'm pretty sure they allow wav uploads, and if you enable free downloads, we can each listen at whatever fidelity we want. (i.e. audiophiles with fast internet connections can get a lossless flac and hear what you REALLY recorded rather than some mp3 artifacts :D )

you can upload 24 bit FLAC files to soundcloud, that's what I do instead of WAV or mp3 and to me it sounds amazing, when you upload to soundcloud as a WAV it converts it into an mp3 file for streaming and ruins the quality.

I found for soundcloud if I do an MP3 192 variable it doesn't convert, or it at least completes the whole process much quicker. With a wave, it does convert, to what I know not, but have to assume 192 MP3 since it is probably the best MP3 format to stream. As far a FLAC, I don't know how this format is supported. That has been this format's problem for a long while.

I always encode into variable bit rate MP3, with 100% target quality (LAME encoder via Reaper). I'm always satisfied with the fidelity. When I upload those to SoundCloud, it doesn't seem to make any noticeable changes to them. I've heard MP3s from other users where SoundCloud has absolutely mangled the high frequencies on them. Not sure what the difference is.

Could be the converters on the soundcloud server side taking its own compression (due to scaling) verses pre-converted using a higher grade algorithm (just speculating).

I do know when I am setting up systems with 100's of users (mainly CAD models [3D] to PDF [2D] conversions), because of the load, we lower the quality.

wow! didn't expect so many responses. and I do appreciate. the problem is , I can upload to soundcloud ,but, how do I send the songs to this forum from there?

Maybe my last reply was not posted.. thanks for all the replies, but my question is .... after I upload to souncloud how then do I get the songs to forum?????

Maybe my last reply was not posted.. thanks for all the replies, but my question is .... after I upload to souncloud how then do I get the songs to forum?????

When you post click the "Go Advanced" button, put your link in the text box, highlight it and click the Soundcloud button above the text box.

Been out of town for a while,,, appreciate all ya'lls info. Got the song to soundcloud, now how do i get it here to this site. Sorry, but i'm computer illiterate.

Been out of town for a while,,, appreciate all ya'lls info. Got the song to soundcloud, now how do i get it here to this site. Sorry, but i'm computer illiterate.

See my post right above yours. When you start a new thread you "Go Advanced" automatically. If you reply to a thread you'll have to click a button to "Go Advanced".

Soundcloud transcodes to 128kbps MP3 (see SoundCloud | I just uploaded and my track is distorte...).

Uploading a wav or flac is best. When processing an already encoded file, the transcoder will chop out even more of the audio data. Going from a 192 to 128 MP3 might not make much audible difference, I'm not sure how that works; but going to a different codec (e.g. from ogg vorbis) could be worse - although if the quality of the uploaded file is high enough, there might not be a noticeable difference.

If you make a sound downloadable, the original file is provided, not the transcoded file, which is only used for streaming.

thanks again .. i,m getting closer to learning how to do this. after i click " go advanced " what do i put in as the title? song name? and what is the link you're referring to, to put into the text box?

thanks again .. i,m getting closer to learning how to do this. after i click " go advanced " what do i put in as the title? song name? and what is the link you're referring to, to put into the text box?

When you are viewing your track on Soundcloud, you want to copy the link from your browsers address bar to paste into your post. If you put it between a soundcloud tag, then a playable widget will appear in your post, rather than just a link.

For eaxmple, if your post looks like this:

[SOUNDCLOUD ]https://www.soundcloud.com/...[/SOUNDCLOUD ]

but with the spaces removed from the tag (between the square brackets), you'll get something like this:

Go to your Soundcloud account. Under the song there are several icons. One is the Share icon. Click that to bring up the sharing options, then type Control-C or right-click/Copy to copy the highlighted link. Then come back here and paste the link (Control-V or right-click/Paste) into the text box. Highlight that link and click the Soundcloud button.

Back