Movie Soundtrack

GorillaProblem

Ok... I need some major opinions on this one.
It's supposed to be the backing track to a city scene...
basically fast-motion, moving shots of cityscapes, driving down highways,
timelapse shots of the city at night etc...
Mainly my own opinion is it's too busy sounding...ie, too many instruments,
and the guitar doesn't seem to fit.... sorta gets in the way and contrasts
too much with the other instruments. (the strings were new so they squeak like hell)

Anyways, critisisms and outright cut ups are welcome cause I know I need to do
something with this but I've got brain freeze from hearing it so many times.
Thanks for any help!

Peace & Grooviness
schmange

Schmange's Guitar Tricks
http://www.schmange.com

Saturday, March 16, 2002
3:11:50 AM

I think with your "visual" setup...it works fine. As music, on its own, it might lack a bit, being so repetative and all... I'm not going to comment on the recording, because listening to your past stuff, and this too...you're pretty much there anyway. This seems like it might fit a documentary kinda thing..kinda what you initially describe...because of the length. A steady changing video image will help keep the audience's attention there...but your music is fine....but I see it needs the video ( no pun intended)

Sounds like something you would hear on a Video game during a Cut scene.I could visualize the scenes you described easily to this music.

Maybe cut that keyboard part at 2:19 thats hitting the single notes sounding kinda like a Koto_Other than that it is a great "starting point" for the purpose you described.

In my opinion it feels a little unbalanced with the drums panned to the right like that, especially in the beginning of the track.

Otherwise it was very 80`s sounding in a cool way.
I almost missed a cowbell on every beat! (joke)

hmm... yeah yer right. I didn't even notice that.
I think the problem might be that I do everything on headphones (3 a.m. and assholes for neighbors)
so when I mixed it I was assuming the stereo mix would sound wider than it would
coming out of speakers.... basically I tried for what the natural drum placement
would be... snare and hi-hats on the right... toms going from right to left
and splash/ride on the left hand side. Guess I'm gonna have to center them a bit more.
Thanks!.

Peace & Grooviness
schmange

Schmange's Guitar Tricks
http://www.schmange.com

Monday, March 18, 2002
8:25:09 AM

ok... lemme know if this mix is any better... if anybody cares that is..
I threw out the guitar tracks & redid em as 5 seperate stereo tracks.
Basically, the last version had SQUEEKs all the way through it from
the guitar strings while changing chords, so I recorded each chord on their own track then
bascically bounced em down to one. (actually in Cubase I just put em all
into one group)
Also remixed the entire thing. Especially the annoying, one-sided drum thing.
Still have to add vocals and something that
holds the whole thing together, but some opinions would be appreciated.
(like what the hell kinda vocal would even fit on this??)

The old version doesn't exist anymore so I just used the same link for the new mix...

gorilla man....I don't hear any main problems either...personal preference on the kick, and for those you can't deal with synthetic drums, will probably hate it... I don't mind it personally...maybe take off a little of the reverb on it. One thing I don't understand...apparently this is a new medium for you to record to...but your other stuff seems much more musically *accomplished* over this, and no problems in the recordings what so ever....actually. So...why the brain freeze on this? I have a feeling you're at a level much higher than you're appearing in THIS particular thread....

...just a observance from the peanut gallery.

Nope... what ya see is what ya get unfortunately :)
I've spent a lot of time in studios, but never actually sat down
with something like Cubase VST with unlimited tracks
and effects to play around with. I've had the regular MIDI version
of Cubase since 1993 but I've mostly done cover tunes so
I could play live guitar to them.
A few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge
and upgrade my computer and get a new mixing board.
The first stuff I posted here was studio stuff recorded in analogue, one instrument at a time, on everything from a 4 track to a 16 track
and usually with a live drummer. I was basically experimenting with my old masters to see how they transferred to digital and learning this whole MP3/Cubase thing.

Now I've kinda got a handle on Cubase & I'm venturing into doing full recordings from scratch....well sorta... this one is a midi file I wrote about 8 years ago but left sitting around cause there was no way I was gonna spend thousands to record it in somebody elses studio just to see how it sounded with no vocals or any idea where to take it.

Basically I'm making the transition from spending all my money in the studio and
trying to rush through everything... never liking anything I did.... (or doing joke tunes like I Got A Girl and Chuckies Song just so I could do *something*), to having hundreds of tracks and the equivalent of a room full of virtual synths, drum machines, rack effects...etc, and all the time in the world to record and not knowing what to do with it.

The next step is to see if I can actually *do* the stuff I've been hearing in my head for the last 10 years.

GorillaProblem said:
The next step is to see if I can actually *do* the stuff I've been hearing in my head for the last 10 years.

well...if that isn't the mother of all statements..! Let me know how you do it, if you succeed;)

If a tune ends up sounding like it did in my head at the beginning, I think I'll drop dead from shock....I can't even imagine how other people can translate from brain to CD, but apparently all the "people that know their sh)t" know how...hhhmm...I kinda go with the flow...eh? Keeping it sounding good, and sustaining and keeping the attention of others seems to be easier....but still a difficult task....one that keeps me a musical peon:(

This Insanity tune sounds like you spent your money right recording it yourself. I can't "see" what spending a bunch of dough on a fancy studio will do for this. It already sounds great.

>the next step is to see if I can actually *do* the stuff I've been hearing in my head for the last 10 years.

I find it important to sort it out whenever I hear voices in my head. Usually a good song in there somewhere!
That's how I wrote, "The Race to the Rubber Room"-
Voices in my Head.

drstawl - Schizophrenia???? ;)

mixmkr - I like what you said and think it is true. I would also drop dead if everything came out like I thought it would.

I would also add that for the people that do have that "ability", it would be kind of a curse. Let me explain... If everything worked as you planned it, there would be nothing to smack you from left field and make you look in new directions. You'd stick to what you know and that's it. You'd probably be creatively dead, or on the road to it.

You always have to keep learning. "If you are comfortable, you're dead." (I think that's a Nietzsche quote...)

-Sal

Back