The Motivation Radio - Be My Anita Pallenberg

WarmJetGuitar

Hey there...
This is my first post in the MP3 clinic but hopefully not the last. Haven't been focusing that much on writing my own music in the past year, more recording other bands and playing various instruments in a duo with a friend who writes all the songs.
However I do run a casual solo project. It has elements of psychedelic rock but also reflects my love for 60's pop and at times Nothern African music. The latter not for this track though. The drumbeat is stolen from Be My Baby hence the title. I do admit to not being Hal Blaine though. I played all the instruments and got a friend to sing along with me to save my mediocre singing with her great vocal abilities.

The song is recorded entirely on tape and mixed on a DDA Q with no digital effects at all. Though I did a bit of compression and master EQ in Adobe Audition to archieve more loudness.
How do you like it? I'll probably remix it later for a EP or album.

https://soundcloud.com/jonathanjgaard/the-motivation-radio-be-my-anita-pallenberg-feat-maria-alwan

First off, congrats on posting your first song...its kinda scary not knowing how it will be received.

I am listening on a crappy system right now but hears what I am hearing:

1) Main guitars are really tinny and bright
2) Vocals are very buried and hard to understand. Could be that everything is walking on everything else as not much separation.
3) was this done to a click track or metronome? Sounds out of time on parts...could be something else out of time too

I immediately got the 60's psychedelic vibe you were trying to get across. I think some EQ to separate the instruments better would be a big benefit.

I like the garage psychedelic feel, I like the overall sound even the verbed unintelligible vocals. The slide guitar part sounds like it could be performed better, but it fits the vibe of the song I guess. Recorded to tape? Sounds nice. I really don't have any criticisms, enjoyed the listen!

Bruthish:
1) Main guitars are really tinny and bright
2) Vocals are very buried and hard to understand. Could be that everything is walking on everything else as not much separation.
3) was this done to a click track or metronome? Sounds out of time on parts...could be something else out of time too

First of all, thanks for the feedback mate :-) I'm not really scared though as I'm used to recording other peoples music so I'm all for criticism.
1. Yeah I know, but I like them like that for this kind of song. It's a Vox Marx IV and a cheap Tele copy through a AC15, I personally dig the jangly treble of that combination. However theres a fuzzy guitar way low in the mix, I'll probably try to give it a notch more next time.
2. Yeah, probably true... I'll try and low cut a bit more next time.
3. It was. And the tambourine is a wee bit out of time. I'll probably redo it for the EP or album. I recorded all the instruments while high on a strong opioid, which has advantages as well as disadvantages :D My reason for not retracking is that the tambourine is recording in a concrete corridor for reverb and I can reach the controls of the tape recorder while I'm there. Which makes punching in virtually impossible unless I get someone else to do it. Which I will for the EP I guess.

"I like the garage psychedelic feel, I like the overall sound even the verbed unintelligible vocals. The slide guitar part sounds like it could be performed better, but it fits the vibe of the song I guess. Recorded to tape? Sounds nice. I really don't have any criticisms, enjoyed the listen! "

Thanks a lot dude :-) Yeah, recorded to a Fostex G16C. I like it but hopefully I'll get a 2" 24 track before too long. All the reverb is a combination of two different springs and a corridor, put a mic out there while recording the drums.
You're into recording on tape too?

Back