More tracks for everyone to practice mixing and have fun with!

Nick The Man

First of all I'd like to give a big thanks to NL5 for assisting me in the upload process.

I have 10 tracks here, they all start at the same time. 24bit 44.1kHz .wav mono

The song is just a little improv jam, pretty psychedelic. The bass has some fuzziness goin on, just for a heads up.

This thread is actually a continuation of another thread I recentley made where I mixed the tracks and asked for advice on how to better my skills. But what better way then to give you guys the raw tracks and see what you can do with them, plus its fun! If this works out well, I'll have to upload some tracks from an actual song. Enjoy!

heres your link to the tracks: http://www.lightningmp3.com/upload/Jam Mix.zip

heres your link to the original thread I started: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=257026

Downloading now. SHould have something back at some point today.

Cheers NL5 for hosting! and cheers Nick the Man for the files!

Eck

Hey Nick, heres how I think it should sound roughly. Hope you like.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10823

I'm really digging the snare recordings.
What snare/mics/pre's were used if you don't mind me asking?

Eck

Nice! That was quick. I hear alot of the changes you have made, the cuts on the guitar and such. I really like how you got the bass to sound (if you could let me on that secret). toms also sound great, those are something I didn’t spend much time on yet. However, I can't get used to the kick sound. I think it’s just that metal kick that ive never been accustom to. After listening for a while now I really like the snare as well, what did you do to achieve that sound?

The snare is really nice, It's a Mapex Black panther with the gold hardware (if that makes any difference) Top and bottom mics are both 57's and they both run to my M-audio Octane.

I thought that I was going to be made fun of for the sound of my raw recordings, but I guess after hearing NL5s raw tracks, I can’t expect to get those.

P1100652.jpg

Hmmmm, well, I only spent a few minutes, and used presets from another project I'm working on, so it's pretty rough still Left the Tom tracks muted as well as one snare track. Fantastic tune to mix. My old band used to um, smoke, and play improv shit like this for hours. I kinda went for a bigger sound as well as pumped up the psychedelic aspect of the tune. If I get some time I'm going to tighten it up and put the tom tracks in there.

edit - link removed - new link below.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.
A true magician never reveals his secrets,
but I'm no magician I'm an audio engineer. :)

For the bass I firstly used a compressor to bring the bass track together more using a high threshold and lowish ratio.
Then I applied EQ (picture included)
Next I used a multi-comp from 160Hz or so down, to tighten up the low end a bit making sure I used makeup gain to bring the low end back up to the original level.
Lastly I used yet another compressor, this time with a low threshold and a higher ratio to tame the dynamics.

For the snare I used a little bit of the bottom snare compressed and with a cut in the low mids, boost in the lows and boost in the highs. I only used a small amount of the bottom snare as I think your snare rattler was a bit loose.
Top snare was compressed similar to the bottom then EQd in the same kind of way as the top snare.
I added a nice amount of room reverb with time of about 2.8s

Eck

I tried to make the jpeg ofthe EQ picture smaller than 64kb but I couldn't seem to, so sorry theres no piture.
I cut the low mids and boosted a (GOOD bit) around 590Hz and around 1.9k roughly.

Eck

Last edited:
Hmmmm, well, I only spent a few minutes, and used presets from another project I'm working on, so it's pretty rough still Left the Tom tracks muted as well as one snare track. Fantastic tune to mix. My old band used to um, smoke, and play improv shit like this for hours. I kinda went for a bigger sound as well as pumped up the psychedelic aspect of the tune. If I get some time I'm going to tighten it up and put the tom tracks in there.

How do you give your lightningmp3 file a name?
I just get a number.

Eck

It's my server - I can upload directly to it. :D

lol!
I kinda thought that was your server but wasn't totally sure.
Well thanks a lot for letting us all use it, you must use up some amount of transfer!

Eck

Did you artificial double track the guitar and nudge and pan?
If not what did you do to get the stereo field?

Eck

Eck

Heres my 2nd and last mix.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10831

I made the kick more funky stylee.
I also played about with the guitars EQ and also doubled the guitars and hard panned for a stereo effect.

I listened to the chili peppers as a reference and noticed I had a shit load more low end so I took a good bit of low end off the bass guitar.

So this mix is a compromise between my 1st mix and chili peppers low end light mix although I still have left plenty low end as thats what I like. :)

Forgot to mention the toms, I just cut the low mids and boosted the highs with mild compression before. And I manually edited the toms. There is probably too much low end on the toms but I'm sticking, :)

Thanks again Nick the Man and NL5.
Hope I helped out in some way with your mixing techniques Nick, I had fun mixing this.

Eck

Did you artificial double track the guitar and nudge and pan?
If not what did you do to get the stereo field?

Eck

It's one guitar track. Doing what you propose would cause phasing issues. I'm not sure what you mean by "get the stereo field". I used several different reverbs on all the tracks - different amounts of each one depending on the track. (edit - five reverbs total)

Last edited:

Eck

You have a weird thing going on with the bass - I don't know how to describe it, but it "flares" big time on certain notes. Maybe it's on purpose, I don't know.

On a side note - I kept the bass kind of "round" a la Santana, since one of the bass riffs in this song is "borrowed" from a Santana song. ;)

Way badass song - is this your band Nick?

Ok, fixed a few things, added in the toms, tightened it up a hair. Now, if I get some time I will automate the guitar, it gets a little to overdone - it's supposed to be over-the-top, but maybe not that over the top.....

I did this in about an hour, its kind of an experimental mix. I, too, was referencing RHCP . . . really just the drums, though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10839

A few thoughts:
- This is a headphone mix. Sorry, the 1yr old is sleeeeeeping.
- Love the snare! The bottom mic captured some crispness that I dig.
- Bass and kick were tough, but I like how the bass sits really LOW . . . ha ha! The kick is buried, though.
- I ran the drums (always wanted to do this) as an fx send to Guitar Rig 2. Theres a drum preset I've wanted to try, and you can really feel it around 4:00. There's a weird tapping throughout the song (delays) that add a certain something that I couldn't let go of. It kind of adds a bit of the ambiance that the guitar brings later, that digital reverberation. Because of this, I didn't do any effects to the guitar except EQ and compression. But I do wish I got to doubling it . .. darn!
- With the drum effect, I got the cymbals to ring f-o-r-e-v-e-r. They have a great swell just after the attack.

Last edited:
Back