More Pain by Numbers.....

R

RAMI

Hey guys,

I posted a different version of this a few months ago, but since then I re-did almost everything, changing the vocals, drums, guitars, and re-writing parts of it. So, it's almost a new tune.

Let me know how it sounds. Thanx

PAIN BY NUMBERS

Pain By Numbers (Words and music by RAMI)

I've been terrorized I've been cheated
Crushed and crucified incompleted
Bullied burned and brutalized
Cast right out and thrown aside aside

Chorus:
Twist your knife in my back don't mind my heart attack
Just let me feel something more real than pain by numbers

Told to take my time then rushed and hurried
Riled and ridiculed judged and juried
Bullied burned and brutalized
Cast right out and thrown aside aside

Chorus:
Twist your knife while you carve the last piece of my heart
Just got to feel something more real than pain by numbers

Chorus:
Twist your knife while you carve the last piece of my heart
Twist that knife in my back and pay no mind to my heart attack
You make me feel something more real than pain by numbers

Last edited:
I really love this tune Rami. Especially like the bridge section that contains the "pain by numbers" line....very Beatlesque. The tune has a lot of kicks and a variety of riffs but it's not an overkill. It's just right and stays interesting without becoming monotonous. I love the change in vocal presence in the one passage...did you put headphones on a mic to achieve that transistor radio low fi effect?
As fast as the mix goes it's beautiful IMHO.
Can't pick any nits on this one.
Great work bro!

I really love this tune Rami. Especially like the bridge section that contains the "pain by numbers" line....very Beatlesque. The tune has a lot of kicks and a variety of riffs but it's not an overkill. It's just right and stays interesting without becoming monotonous. I love the change in vocal presence in the one passage...did you put headphones on a mic to achieve that transistor radio low fi effect?
As fast as the mix goes it's beautiful IMHO.
Can't pick any nits on this one.
Great work bro!
Thanx a lot, Jimi. I really appreciate that. For that radio effect, I used a stock plug-in that comes with REAPER called the "JS:Remain Calm_org/paranoia mangler". I hesitated to even have that effect in the tune because I know it's been done to death and might be a little cliche. But I really thought it suited that part, and it doesn't last too long, so I went with it.

Thanx, man.

Rami, IMO this is the best mix I've heard from you. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. The kick and snare are perfect. You still got your poppy snare but it has a hint of meat to it that fits perfectly. Bass is locked in. I really like the aggressive mix of the guitars without being too over the top. The vocals are in there sitting just right without having to be all up on top of the mix. I like that. Sounds really great to me. Very very very very well done. :)

Rami, IMO this is the best mix I've heard from you. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. The kick and snare are perfect. You still got your poppy snare but it has a hint of meat to it that fits perfectly. Bass is locked in. I really like the aggressive mix of the guitars without being too over the top. The vocals are in there sitting just right without having to be all up on top of the mix. I like that. Sounds really great to me. Very very very very well done. :)
Wow! Awesome, man. Thanx.

I was pretty happy with the mix, but couldn't help doubting myself a bit, considering all the changes I've made lately, equipment-wise and recording-wise. A few tunes ago, I pretty much took my set up apart and started over with a different overheads configuration, re-tuning every drum, etc.....I'm glad it paid off.

I got rid of the bottom snare mic and the room mic and went back to the simple 4 mics on the drums. Less headache and better result.

Thanx Greg.

For sure. I aint blowing smoke dude, this is easily the coolest mix I've heard from you yet, and your shit is always pretty damn good. This mix kicks ass. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing. Mix levels, tones, everything. IMO, this should be the new "standard" by which you judge all of your mixes going forward. It's that awesome to me.

For sure. I aint blowing smoke dude, this is easily the coolest mix I've heard from you yet, and your shit is always pretty damn good. This mix kicks ass. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing. Mix levels, tones, everything. IMO, this should be the new "standard" by which you judge all of your mixes going forward. It's that awesome to me.
Very cool, thanx. I'll use this as my reference from now on....until I take the next step down the road. :cool:

I agree with jimmystone, the best part of the song is the bridge from about 1:50 to the "pain by numbers" at about 2:06 (my use of numbers not meant to be ironic). It is where the singing and the song become the most direct and engaging.

Fantastic performance, mix, and production... but I fear the song is a bit scattered and lacking focus...

I agree with jimmystone, the best part of the song is the bridge from about 1:50 to the "pain by numbers" at about 2:06 (my use of numbers not meant to be ironic). It is where the singing and the song become the most direct and engaging.

Fantastic performance, mix, and production...
Thanx, man.
but I fear the song is a bit scattered and lacking focus...
Hmmmm....Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/"solo-ish"/chorus. Scattered, really? Thanx for the listen, man. :cool:

Really good mix. Everything sounds excellent. Drums sound especially nice.

The only thing I'd suggest is to nudge the vocals up when the chunky distorted guitars are playing. Just a bit, like a db.

That's about all I can come up with. It sounds really good.

And I'm happy to report there are no pops. :)

Really good mix. Everything sounds excellent. Drums sound especially nice.

The only thing I'd suggest is to nudge the vocals up when the chunky distorted guitars are playing. Just a bit, like a db.

That's about all I can come up with. It sounds really good.

And I'm happy to report there are no pops. :)
Awesome! No pops! And I already doubled the vocals, so you couldn't go there either. :D

I think I agree about the verse vocals, just a db, if that.

Thanx a lot buddy. :cool:

Great stuff. I'm glad I started checking out this end of the forum. There's some great tunes up around here and very constructive, helpful comments as well.

I don't like this song as much as the last original you posted, but the sound is excellent, in my opinion. One thing your songs always have is great harmonies with your background vocals and lead vocal.

I don't like this song as much as the last original you posted, but the sound is excellent, in my opinion. One thing your songs always have is great harmonies with your background vocals and lead vocal.
Thanx man. It's not my favorite tune of mine by a long shot, either. Lucky, it's an older one, so it's not something I'd have written recently. Like a few people mentioned, I also like the chorus, but I find the verses a little too "pop", almost dated. I love the guitar sounds I got though, and I think the tune "sounds" great. But I'm not crazy about the actual song.

Thanx man. It's not my favorite tune of mine by a long shot, either. Lucky, it's an older one, so it's not something I'd have written recently. Like a few people mentioned, I also like the chorus, but I find the verses a little too "pop", almost dated. I love the guitar sounds I got though, and I think the tune "sounds" great. But I'm not crazy about the actual song.

I know what you mean. And it isn't a bad song by any means, it's just that you already set the bar well above this one. I agree that it does "sound" great, though.

Back