Monkeys in the Playground

Yeah the whole thing sounds lo-fi which is fine if that's what you're going for. Everything is scratchy and distorted from vocals to snare. Song is well written and performed. The word "Americans" has too many syllables in that one spot (I would have used Yankees or something). As a Canuck I get your Justin lyrics but I wonder if anyone else would lol. He says "umm" so often I'd like to kick him in the nuts.

I listened to the latest mix and A/B'd it with the first. Honestly, I thought the first one was better. The first one is squashed more than the last. But the vocal is clearer and more upfront. Everything is a little clearer in the first mix. The last mix is muffled.

It's funny how these things go: I've been in a few threads where some like old mixes better than newer and vice versa. I've been trying to take people's sonic opinions and apply them to the song and listen to both the song and to your opinions, and I thank you for them. But I don't know what to do when the thread gets to a position like this where some like a mix and some don't :)

Actually it's a nice position to be in - fellow artists and engineers are taking valuable time off to listen to my stuff and to help me make it as good as possible. :thumbs up: I'm just a guy in his basement studio on weekends doing this, so I really appreciate it.

As for the mixes, I liked the one 2 mixes ago, with some squashing on it!

Thanks to all,
Timbo

There's a quote on this site somewhere that goes something like "if the mix doesn't annoy someone in the room it's probably not ready." Maybe there's some truth in that.

Iggy working with Bowie is what I hear as key influence.
Spitfish is OK but not too easy to set right. I found a freebie called Tonmann or similar that was easier to set.
I like the track - I saw a tour of Iggy that was based mainly around Idiot & L4Life and this would've fitted the show well.
Good stuff.

Back