"Money" (Pink Floyd) jazzy acoustic cover

stijn_fi

Used a Zoom R24 to put the channels through to my PC. Samson C01 for vocals, Fender USA Jazz through my tube pre-amp and direct out to the Zoom and acoustic steelstringed Fender guitar plugged directly into the Zoom. Reaper for mixing.

First time for me that I didn't equalize based on "what sounds good to my ears", but based on this chart: Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network

What do you think of the arrangement/mixing? I was a bit unsure about my vocals, don't I sing a bit weird?

Well I sure made my mix based on what sounded right, but what I meant to say was that earlier on I started eq'ing from scratch, just pulling db's on some frequencies, and this time I looked up what frequencies were relevant to what instruments and went on perfectionizing the equalisation of the sounds from there, which seemed much more efficient.

Do you both mean that my mix from the YT-video doesn't sound good? Could you be more specific? I was kinda pleased with it to be honest, haven't got much experience yet, so I would really appreciate it if you could point out the biggest problems in my mix :).

Well I sure made my mix based on what sounded right, but what I meant to say was that earlier on I started eq'ing from scratch, just pulling db's on some frequencies, and this time I looked up what frequencies were relevant to what instruments and went on perfectionizing the equalisation of the sounds from there, which seemed much more efficient.

Do you both mean that my mix from the YT-video doesn't sound good? Could you be more specific? I was kinda pleased with it to be honest, haven't got much experience yet, so I would really appreciate it if you could point out the biggest problems in my mix :).
Just keep n mind that I'm only commenting on the sound, not the performance. I find it muddy, with a build up in the low-mids, while the vocals have some sibilence as well as a kind of harsh tone in the low-mids. I've never recorded acoustic guitar, so I wish I could gve you some tips on it, but I can't. I think the bass sounds pretty good.

I think the bottom line is, you need to throw out charts and use your ears. It's not horrible, and the arrangement is interesting and obviously different, which isn't a bad thing.

I thought it was pretty interesting, it wasn't that bad as a base mix.

Now you should go back and make it sound like you want it to sound (guides are guides, not law).

Needs some high need to clear it up at the top, need to get the bass sound mixing with the guitar, once you have those instruments working, bring the vocals back in. I've heard worse (mine to be exact), but it is a decent first start.

Ok, thanks for your comments! I find it hard to give each element its fullness without making a mess of it and keeping the contours, especially when there's also drums in play (kick+bassguitar is a real bitch). Thanks again for the advice, I'll definitely use it in my other mixes and in a revision of this recording I want to make (haven't got decent studiomonitors for the next three weeks so it will be early november when I post the next version, bleh).

...and kudos for making it your own arrangement. I tend to pretty much stick to trying to stay true to the original version when I do a cover. So, hats off to you for making this your own.

Back