Molly's Lips (Nirvana/The Vaselines' Cover)

RaiNy

Hey! We recorded a cover of Nirvana's/The Vaselines' "Molly's Lips." Could you please listen to it and give me some tips?

1) How can I make the guitars sound more heavy?
2) While I was quantising the drums on Reaper, it could only do so for the 1/8 beats. Whenever I tried using the 1/16 method, it wouldn't quantise. Is there a way to resolve this?

https://soundcloud.com/thebaffledpenguins/mollys-lips-cover

Great vocal man! Really like the snare, the cymbals are kind of swishy though (that's probably soundcloud's fault :( ) The guitars sound like they might be too much mids? Maybe try dialing up the highs and lows. If you want the guitar bigger you might try double-tracking it, pan them a bit wide and add a delay to each side that plays in the opposite channel. Anyway that usually makes my tele sound pretty big. . .

I wouldn't make the guitars heavier. They're plenty heavy. I think they sound great.

Yeah snare sounds OK, but mostly because it's REALLY loud. I'd give it just a bit (more) reverb.

Vocals sound good.

Really the whole thing sounds very good.

Cymbals are a little swishy. But not bad.

Guitars might be able to be pulled down just a small bit.

How did you record the guitars - they sound quite simmy. There's clearly quite a lot of gain there - probably too much - have you tried really cranking an amp up to record them? They sound a bit to tidy - I know its only two chords but its Nirvana - try really giving it some shit!

Your vocal is good, probably best staying at that sort of level in the mix - but could you sing it a lot louder in the room? Again, really give it some shit!

I'm debating listening to this... one of my fav Nirvana songs, but they are a band I usually say "stay away from" and don't cover them. eehhhh, well JDOD liked it, so I'll give it a spin on my lunch break

I'm debating listening to this... one of my fav Nirvana songs, but they are a band I usually say "stay away from" and don't cover them. eehhhh, well JDOD liked it, so I'll give it a spin on my lunch break

It good, mate. In summary it sounds like the OP has tried to do a really good cover, when he should have been just giving it everything!

That was a pretty good cover, but honestly I'm more excited to see someone do the Vaselines.
People think songs like Molly's Lips, Son of a Gun, Jesus Don't Want me for a Sunbeam are Nirvana. They're all The Vaselines...Kurt loved them for good reason and covered a bunch of their songs.

You should have thrown in an acoustic guitar and done a true hybrid cover of Vaselines/Nirvana. That would have been interesting.

yeah I agree the guitars need more ooomph. Should have kept the vocal melody the same for the chorus...you took the second line down a bit, when it goes up. That chorus melody is perhaps the entire point of the song... it's pop. that melody is genius. Shoulda kept it the same. Lead and backing vocals are good, nice job.

2nd favorite Nirvana tune. In fact, I'm going to put that album in on my way home today. good call dude

they're vaselines' tunes. :P

Which Nirvana album are they on, In Utero? I never bought that one for some reason or got into it much. I had them on an EP called "Hormoning" that had those three Vaselines songs, a Devo song (Turnaround), and a Whipers song (D-7). Where they all released on a main album? Check out Hormoning if you can find it on youtube. It was a good EP. The Devo cover is great.

they're vaselines songs. :P

Which Nirvana album are they on, In Utero? I never bought that one for some reason or got into it much. I had them on an EP called "Hormoning" that had those three Vaselines songs, a Devo song (Turnaround), and a Whipers song (D-7). Where they all released on a main album? Check out Hormoning if you can find it on youtube. It was a good EP. The Devo cover is great.

Oh I'm very aware. You're talking to the guy who has read every book on the subject, heard about all of the demos and unreleased stuff, and has spent years reading every interview here livenirvana.com They are the entire reason I ever picked up a guitar and they influenced me outside of music in ways no other band could. They were a huge part of my life, for better or worse I guess. :thumbs up:

JDOD and I got deep into Nirvana a few months ago. He's also a big fan.

Oh I'm very aware. You're talking to the guy who has read every book on the subject, heard about all of the demos and unreleased stuff, and has spent years reading every interview here livenirvana.com They are the entire reason I ever picked up a guitar and they influenced me outside of music in ways no other band could. They were a huge part of my life, for better or worse I guess. :thumbs up:

JDOD and I got deep into Nirvana a few months ago. He's also a big fan.

That's awesome. I just looked up In Utero and none of those songs are on it, so I guess you meant Hormoning. That's awesome didn't know anyone else owned that EP. I bought it in Europe many years ago and it was all liner notes in Japanese. It's weird I never got into In Utero because it's a good album and the engineering is better (more raw), imo. I like Albini more than Butch Vig aesthetic wise.

That's awesome. I just looked up In Utero and none of those songs are on it, so I guess you meant Hormoning. That's awesome didn't know anyone else owned that EP. I bought it in Europe many years ago and it was all liner notes in Japanese. It's weird I never got into In Utero because it's a good album and the engineering is better (more raw), imo. I like Albini more than Butch Vig aesthetic wise.

Sorry, forgot to answer that one...they are compiled on Incesticide, except for Jesus.... only official release of that is from Unplugged, though there are many bootlegged versions from live shows

I remember looking up the originals by the vaselines cos I was curious... I was really disappointed. Not my cup of tea at all.

I felt the same. I just got too used to the nirvana jams that the originals didn't work for me. That was like, in 1994. Haha. I should reaxmine them now. Probably about time. :)

I felt the same. I just got too used to the nirvana jams that the originals didn't work for me. That was like, in 1994. Haha. I should reaxmine them now. Probably about time. :)

LOL - I found it even worse than I remember!

Ah, did you just listen? I'll do that tomorrow at work. What do you think of Bowies' man who sold the world? Jdod nola

i really like it. i like nirvana's, too...probably a little better since I always loved the spooky sound of kurt's acoustic on the unplugged sessions.

same with the vaselines -- i like both about the same, but maybe the vaselines a little more because of the "organic"/less produced recording. i just tend to gravitate more towards that stuff.

i really like it. i like nirvana's, too...probably a little better since I always loved the spooky sound of kurt's acoustic on the unplugged sessions.

same with the vaselines -- i like both about the same, but maybe the vaselines a little more because of the "organic"/less produced recording. i just tend to gravitate more towards that stuff.

Hmm... Incesticide, even though a compilation album, is about as raw as pop rock can get! I think Nevermind is about the only thing by them I'd call "produced". But I'm Utero is the type of "produced" that is aiming to sound "not produced". Know what I mean?

Oh crap. Sorry OP. Derailed.

Back