Mixing crits please

r4m

I'm mixing this song and would like some feed back on what needs done yet.
Thanks
Bill

Vocals seem to be low. If you bring everything down a little or your vocals up a bit to make them stand out, I think that would be a good first step. Seemed pretty full, bass seemed nice a round. Not bad really. Just a little more forward on the vocals, not by much.

Thanks for the listen and advice. I'll bring the vox up a bit. Any critique on drums. Does the snare eq seem ok? I have kick, snare, tom1 tom2, hats, cowbell, overhead R, overhead L, Room R, Room L.
They are a live kit and bleed into one another. Adjusting verb, comp. and eq on one affects others, Kind of tricky to me.

The cymbals seem to be compressed to much, I hear pumping. I'd be careful about compressing cymbals. To me they sound bad if they are overcompressed and although you might only do a medium amount on the overheads, if you send that to a compressed drum bus which then goes into a master bus compressor, it's easy to overdo it. If you're worried about bleed you can try high pass and low pass filters to remove the sounds you don't need. Also gates can be used to get rid of some of the extra sounds if you want less bleed. Anyway, it sounded really good except for the cymbals and the pumping.

Here is a mix the suggested adjustments. I didn't have any cmpression on any drum tracks. They were catching the master compression. I pulled the overheads down a little. I pulled the guitars a little more out of the center. Added a little more bottom to the snare.
Do I have the master over compressed?

Back