Mixing advice on (Indie Rock) song

X'ed Out

Hello all,

I've been working on this tune for a while with a bud and would really appreciate any mixing input you have to offer. I'll be adding vocals soon but was hoping to get some fresh ears on this before then. I plan on getting it professionally mastered and would like the mix to be as good as possible before then. Thanks for listening and for any advice or input!

soundcloud.com/detweilerband/test-mix

A couple of things stand out to me as things to consider.

I didn't care for the drum samples. Particularly the kick. It was really wimpy and slappy sounding. The drum part was too busy for my tastes.

Some of the guitar parts were a little busy too. It didn't distract me from the mix as it stands right now, but if you add vocals they might be a distraction.

Was there a bass part in there? Tough to tell. But the mix needs a stronger low end. Oh yeah, I hear a bass (or lower end guitar part) later. Mix still needs a stronger, and more consistent, low end.

The distorted guitars were kind of mushy and too far over-driven.

A couple of things stand out to me as things to consider.

I didn't care for the drum samples. Particularly the kick. It was really wimpy and slappy sounding. The drum part was too busy for my tastes.

Some of the guitar parts were a little busy too. It didn't distract me from the mix as it stands right now, but if you add vocals they might be a distraction.

Was there a bass part in there? Tough to tell. But the mix needs a stronger low end. Oh yeah, I hear a bass (or lower end guitar part) later. Mix still needs a stronger, and more consistent, low end.

The distorted guitars were kind of mushy and too far over-driven.

Thank you for the input!
I've really been struggling with pulling out the bass/low end because of the effects on the guitar such as the POG and bit commander which create sub octaves. I want the guitars to sound full and "meaty" but would also like bass to come through. Just haven't found the right mix yet and not really sure how to get there without sacrificing the guitar. I also agree about the kick and will work to give it more click.
I really enjoy listening to and creating busy and somewhat technical music (as does my drummer) so that will most likely stay the same in mixes to come but I really appreciate your opinion and the advice you've provided. Thanks

The low end and low mid-range of a mix is really tough to get right. It takes lots of practice. Listen to professional mixes that you like on your monitoring system. Get a good feel for how the low and low-midrange sounds on those mixes. Use that as a reference point for your mixes. Again, practice. :)

Back