mixing

dadex78

Dear all,

I am a homerecording newbie and I am trying some recordings of voice-guitar-cello band.
I would appreciate your opinion about my job: how can I improve?
Please find below link to one of the mixed songs:
soundcloud.com/dadex78/meriti7-w

I used track equalizers, reverbs and compressors in Nuendo.
Then I mixed the mixdown in Waves: lowpass filter at 60Hz, LinMB and L2.

After using L2 I found that there are some distortions, the wave has some cuts where volume is louder... where is the mistake? bad equalizing? bad compressing?
Thanks in advance to everyone!

I can't listen (work) but first, I'd ask you how hot your tracking.
I shoot for headroom. Keep your average level at around -18 up to -12 with peaks up to -6. If you're "just below clipping", you're too hot. Keep in mind, I'm talking tracking here, not mixing or mastering.

A way I was taught (thru some fine fellers here) was to keep my faders at unity all across the board and bring my trim (input gain) up to to the desired levels. This also makes for faster mixing.

Just some thoughts...

I didn't listen as well since you stated the source peaks have flat lines. That is going to cause most likely cause it to sound bad. You can't or very hard to fix source. One item to suggest as dog indicated, don't let your line levels be a concern other than getting a clean sound. If they are low but getting a full recording, you will push it up later through compressors, gain and limiters for the down mix. Source needs to be as clean as possible, if you want to clip, do that as a part of the mix.

Remember, if the source is bad, then you are going to have a hell of a time fixing it, if at all. Good clean tracking signals, worry about how loud it is later.

I don't think it sounds too bad personally. I couldn't understand a word but the song sounds pretty decent. Performances are good.

If you didn't clip while tracking (recording) then just turn down the L2 a bit on the Master until it doesn't clip or use a little Automation on the few bits that clip. If the clip is recorded, there's not a great deal you can do to fix it. Better of re-recording and, as advised above, keep an eye on your levels going in.

Posted the SoundCloud link for you. :thumbs up:

Overall, like Mr Clean, I didn't think it was too bad.

It does sound very dry, and maybe a bit more reverb would create a bit of life.

Every now and gain I hear harmonies not sitting quite right with the chords being played.

I recommend you post that song in the MP3 Mixing Clinic and then wait a bit.
Some people are guaranteed to have a listen and help you out.

^agreed on the mixing clinic
I personally feel like you have some fighting for the mid-low end of the spectrum. Not that it sounds bass heavy, just a little crowded. My suggestion would be to let the cello take the low end and pull the low off the guitar and vocals a a bit. More so the vocals. Or perhaps add a little brightness to the guitar. Anyone else feel the same?

Great song. Very nice to listen to.

Guys, I do appreciate your support, thank you so much!
I took a look to my recordings and I found that there is no clipping and all the tracks have picks at -6. These are good news, I guess...
If recording is ok I could try to work the tracks to get a more equilibrated mixdown (with the automation, as stated by Mr Clean: reducing L2 does not solve).
I will add some reverb and will adjust the mid-low end of the spectrum.
If you have further suggestions please share. I will keep you posted!

tip for mixing, keep the L2 off for your first mix. Turn up your speakers if it needs to be louder. Get the mix right, everything below clipping. Once you have the mix sitting well, then bring it up to where the dancing, just touching the peaks. If the mix is too low to hit your threshold, then add gain to boost the output. Don't smash it.

The goal is to bring up the levels on final, make it a little louder and just touch the peaks (bring up the low waves and push down the high waves). You can smash it, once you understand that is what you want to do, but for now, just bring everything up and not take all of the life out of the mix.

Back