Mix Review professional vs amateur

Lol

lol dude ones named "come around Mikes Master" so that kind of gives it away a little for me. but i'll listen anyhow.

Ok

I have a Question is the mikes master the one you actually sent to be mastered?

and was the result come around March?

if so I’m impressed with the result, because he used phase analysis to extenuate the vocal path by probably manipulating other frequencies in the sonic field. At the left and right balances.

or it was a different mix i didn't listen to close to find out but the "March" one is the more "professional" "master".

there are things i would have done different in it but that's the one.

oh wait up...i think i know what has happened.....

the "mike" master instrumentally is actually more balanced in the high FEQ so be happy about that (btw i can see what you have done or tried to achieve) but I’d say go back to the mix and do it and you will have a better result.

because your victim here has been the Vox.

Thanks so far

Thanks so far the answer is however "none of the above". They are two different mixes by two different people with me doing the mastering. I am by no means a professional at mastering, but I gave both the same treatment for fair play. I'll give the answer of who did which one after I get some more listens

Ok

so march is the "pro " one i don't know any one that would put the Vox back that far (for another persons mix) as on the other unless very Brave, and only some one brave enough would be the writer, so that is you. you are mike.

to help your sanity the big level difference is in the VOx just kep this mix but bring the vox up go back to the mix. see you have the headroom, you have the perfect amount of headroom for the vox so put them there.

also it has a little center mud, (i know all about it) but i think if the Vox were "there" it'd be ok.

it's a nice warm mix. instumentally.....vox dude.

I don't give a shit who did what. First mix is overall better to my ears. More open and spacious sounding. My only nit with the first mix is that the drums are clear and present, but the kick lacks meat and the snare is a little too cracky.

The second mix sounds a little darker, muddier, less airy.

Funny, the first today is the second from las night. They were switched! Now I look like an idiot for saying that I liked the second one the most. LOL

Not Switched

No they were not switched, I'm not doing to many tricks here, I guess I just want honest opinions on which one you like best and the flaws for both of them. I do want answers so I'm not going to be switching them!

I prefer the mike mix. There's some elements of the march 27th mix I like better, but to me it sounds too hollow. Mike's mix might be a little bit too far on the mids, but i think it's more in the direction i prefer compared to the march27 mix. I'm listening to this on headphones (beyerdynamic DT-770's) but the March27 mix sounds like it's coming out of a shitty stereo, while mike mix is pleasant to my ears.

p.s. I have no idea which one was the "pro" one. I just know which one i liked better ;)

Last edited:
Put the raw unmastered mixes up so we can get a better feel for how they were mixed.

I don't think either mix was done by a "pro". Too many simple things were left unfinished.

Back