Mix Feedback wanted - Classical Piano with Strings & Trombone

Sorry for the lack of response. It's down to most of us on the forum doing rock. We don't have a lot of experience with your genre.

It sounds real good from what little I've listened to this genre. Your mix could be improved. The midrange is too in-your-face. Strings, keyboards, and whatever else are fighting for for volume and space instead of settling into a groove. Your low end is honky, not really deep.

The mix needs air, a better feeling of the instruments being distributed throughout a space. You've got everything panned inward, crowding the center. Lower some levels, pan things farther out, and leave stereo center a little more spare. Tame the frequencies that are giving that low end honk, and bring up the bass.

Well done. Those are real acoustic instruments, right?

Sorry for the lack of response. It's down to most of us on the forum doing rock. We don't have a lot of experience with your genre.

It sounds real good from what little I've listened to this genre. Your mix could be improved. The midrange is too in-your-face. Strings, keyboards, and whatever else are fighting for for volume and space instead of settling into a groove. Your low end is honky, not really deep.

The mix needs air, a better feeling of the instruments being distributed throughout a space. You've got everything panned inward, crowding the center. Lower some levels, pan things farther out, and leave stereo center a little more spare. Tame the frequencies that are giving that low end honk, and bring up the bass.

Well done. Those are real acoustic instruments, right?

Yes, it's real instruments. We are working on a new mix of this one. A work in progress can be heard here.

Innocence Mix V3 - Feedback please by Michael Keihl | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hey there, classical musician here.

The piano sounds great IMO.

The violins sound as if they were mic'd farther away so they sound thinner and more in back of the mix. Not sure if there is some phase cancellation going on there. What was your mic method? Would be helpful to know.

Same goes for the trombone - it just doesn't stand up to the piano in this mix. That could be mix levels but I think it may be mic'ing technique as well.

Back