mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album

GONZO-X

mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album

i've got 10 songs almost finished for a new album release.
any suggestions on final tweaks, eq issues, translation issues, etc, are appreciated.

this is mix #1 of this song.

i'll only leave these up a few days each.

Issues:
i'm on the fence about using verb on this one, versus mixing it bone dry.
i gravitate towards the verb, because it smooths things out nicely.....
but i think a modern approach to this would be...... more modern.
LOL
ideas?

Sounds good to me. Full and crisp. Maybe a touch midrangey, but nothing too seriously out of kilter. Nice job

Real great playing, man. Amazing arrangement. It is midrangy. You want that bass to come up. The string rattle and choked notes on one of the acoustics were a little more noticeable than I prefer, maybe not an issue for you.

I'm going to use that harmonic trick the next time I record acoustic guitar.

I think around 1.5khz in the vocals and somewhere in the same ball park for the guitars. Maybe 1khz or 900hz.
There is also some over-thickening in the 200-300hz range. A multiband set up right could control it.

I think you are in the slight adjustment/sensitive territory. 1db here, 1.5 db there etc. Nice work again :)

First thing that pops out to me is those hand claps. They're very harsh. Claps are hard. How'd you do them?

I can see what the others are saying about mid-rangeyness too. I don't think it's ruining the mix, but it could probably be tamed a little.

Seems a pretty cohesive mix overall tho.

Pop on the right at 3:24. Could be soundcloud, but double check your source.

hey guys, thanks a lot for the critiques...

Sounds good to me. Full and crisp. Maybe a touch midrangey, but nothing too seriously out of kilter. Nice job
I think around 1.5khz in the vocals and somewhere in the same ball park for the guitars. Maybe 1khz or 900hz.
There is also some over-thickening in the 200-300hz range. A multiband set up right could control it.

I think you are in the slight adjustment/sensitive territory. 1db here, 1.5 db there etc. Nice work again :)
hey red, 1.5 on the vox, i'm not surprised..... i'll go in and focus on the lead vox, that's probably where my attempt at 'deessing' didn't work. i tried to use parametric eq,
but i think i need to move directly to an actual Deesser.... i like the Rennaissance DEes
i don't do 'multiband' generally,
so i'll look at where my roll offs for the acoustics, may be building up with the low mids of the bass.
that's a good spot to focus, so thanks

Real great playing, man. Amazing arrangement. It is midrangy. You want that bass to come up. The string rattle and choked notes on one of the acoustics were a little more noticeable than I prefer, maybe not an issue for you.

hi robus,
bass is pretty strong on my system, but maybe if i dial in the EQ a little cleaner on it, i can bring the level up.

the string rattles, well, i've got so many parts going (4 12-string danelectro tracks, 2 12-string Harmony guitar tracks, 4 Taylor guitar parts) i think the 12 string parts, especially the Harmony 12 stringer (a crap guitar, but i liked the sound of it) is probably the culprit.

i think i'll figure out where those things happen, and just take them out of the mix.
it'll give me an excuse to ride the mix with the extra tracks just where it builds....

First thing that pops out to me is those hand claps. They're very harsh. Claps are hard. How'd you do them?

I can see what the others are saying about mid-rangeyness too. I don't think it's ruining the mix, but it could probably be tamed a little.

Seems a pretty cohesive mix overall tho.

Pop on the right at 3:24. Could be soundcloud, but double check your source.
hey steve!
thanks for listening, and offering some good ideas...
the handclaps are all natural, i recorded actual claps in a room, a distance away from the mic, i think i did 6 tracks of them.
i have them running thru a limiter, and added high end....
maybe, a better approach, would be to lose the limiter, lose the high end, and try to mix them with the natural room ambience in there.
now i've got to experiment!

(probably sound cloud on the click, but i'll check that, thanks for the time stamp on it)

I was going to comment that I really like the aggressive acoustic work, and the string rattle is what makes this tune work for me. Not sharp enough on mixing to make any other comments, but I also like the syncopated feel, and your choice of instrumentation.

I absolutely love the guitar sound in this. Nice little riff too.

I feel like I could use more drums because this has a great rhythm, but I feel like I wanted a section with some really nice driving drums to take it to another level. May just be my personal taste because of my background. THe mix honestly sounds pretty good to my amateur ears. Very full. Love the guitar tones.

I don't know the style at all so I can't comment on that, but just on a mix perspective, it sounds quite good. A little thin and overly crisp to my ears but has clarity and good spacing. I'd personally cut some highs off the acoustics (they have that crisp/thin/Taylor sound, though I have no idea what guitar you're using) and boost the bass' fundamental a hair.

I was going to comment that I really like the aggressive acoustic work, and the string rattle is what makes this tune work for me. Not sharp enough on mixing to make any other comments, but I also like the syncopated feel, and your choice of instrumentation.
that string rattle, is only coming from the Danelectro 12 string tracks (4 tracks in all)....
it's one of those guitars that the strings lay real flat across the neck, and if you dig in,
it really rattles!
i kinda liked it too...

but i don't want it distracting,
so i think i'll automate the sub bus they go to, and bring them in and out... thanks for listening.

I absolutely love the guitar sound in this. Nice little riff too.

I feel like I could use more drums because this has a great rhythm, but I feel like I wanted a section with some really nice driving drums to take it to another level. May just be my personal taste because of my background. THe mix honestly sounds pretty good to my amateur ears. Very full. Love the guitar tones.
man, so many guitar parts, blended together... i tried mixing it with just one guitar, just to see..
like a folk song would be mixed...
it did'nt rock that way.
glad you dig this one, i'm leaving it in that 'folk' style,
it's as much for the song, as for the pacing of the album, which has rockers in front and behind...

I don't know the style at all so I can't comment on that, but just on a mix perspective, it sounds quite good. A little thin and overly crisp to my ears but has clarity and good spacing. I'd personally cut some highs off the acoustics (they have that crisp/thin/Taylor sound, though I have no idea what guitar you're using) and boost the bass' fundamental a hair.
i don't know this style either!!

heheh, that's the beauty of just hanging it out there...
you make up your own rules.
i agree with the 'thin' on certain spots,
and i found out this weekend, it's not the midrange, it's the high end.
i re-eq'd ALL of the guitar parts, in regards to high end, and they sit wonderfully now.

good ears, nola

---------- Update ----------

ok, took this one down,
moving onto the next one.

Back