Mirror, Mirror, in the dark.. (Known as, Beppe)

knownasbeppe

Hello fellow musicians!! This is little track I have been working on called "Mirror, Mirror, in the dark".

(I have made the drums distort in the middle to fit the setting and atmosphere of the song)

Here there be links:
https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe/mirror-mirror-in-the-dark-masterd

Lyrics:

A mirror in a dark room
Doesn't show the truth and..
Lovers in a black hole
Never show up on the other side cause..
We are all afraid to make amends with ourselves
So we stay inside to watch the..

Mirror, day and night
And I haven't found myself a reflection
Even in the light...

The writings on my wall
Gave me a false perception
The heroes on my shelves
Never return my phonecalls and..
I am so afraid to tell myself I don't need them
All I want to do is to watch the..

Pictures, day and night
And you found yourself a brand new reflection
Even in the dark..

AND YOU FOUND YOURSELF BEHIND YOUR WINDOWS
WITHOUT SICKNESS PUSHING YOU AROUND
WITHOUT A TRACE.. you are gone

With love
Known as, Beppe
Tommy

Last edited:
Everything seems compressed within an inch of its life. The mix doesn't work well at all. When you describe a track with words like "an emotionally fueled track" it works against the posting. The track should speak for itself. I really like a couple of the lines - especially "the heros on my shelves never return my phone calls" - but I guess you weren't looking for that kind of critique.

This one is promising. I like the somewhat operatic vocals and harmonies, especially on the chorus. The vocals have gotten better with each song you've posted. Your vocalist can sing, no doubt. Reminds me a bit of Queen. The first thing I would have a look at is that chorused electric guitar on the left. It is too loud is competing with the vocals. You've got some kind of buildup in the high mid frequencies that is grating, especially when that lead synth comes in about 1:25. Something sounds out of tune in that part of the song. There is some sibilence here and there.

Good work. Keep at it. Hope you'll listen and comment on tunes others have posted.

This is a pretty catchy song! Good dynamics on the vocals (writing wise).

Production-wise, the vocals do sound pretty squashed and mid-rangey. I'm hearing a ton of the extra noises you usually want buried: sibilance, lip smacks, etc. too.

Some of the synths are a tad pitchy. What are you using for those?

For both of these synths I am using "Massive". I think I know the problem for the pitching and that is that I am using too much chorus on my FX-channel (since I used MIDI there shouldn't be any problem with me playing the wrong keys or detuning).
I agree with you on the mid-rangey sounding vocals now that you bring it up. I just got myself a pop shield for my microphone, so hopefully I won't have that same problem in the future! :D

Thank you for the feedback!

I really like the points when the wall of sound hits. Really nice. The vocals are well performed but seem kind of boxy, it's a little distracting. Maybe some eq could help that? Or some light effects, things seem pretty dry to me, I think the vocals at least could use just a little verb or something. Great song, you always write such cool songs. . .

Sibilance is the first thing that popped out to me. Every "s" is really exaggerated. I like this otherwise, really good tune and composition. It's like Queen and Weezer made a baby.

Sibilance is the first thing that popped out to me. Every "s" is really exaggerated. I like this otherwise, really good tune and composition. It's like Queen and Weezer made a baby.

I think you forgot beatles too. I definitely here some of that. I liked it! I'm listening on headphones so I can't comment on the mix....nice job.

In the intro, I think the vocal and the guitar are competing for space. They're both occupying the 1K-4K space.

The vocal is noticeably dryer than the rest of the tracks.

Bass is sitting about right.

Guitar tone seemed to work well in the mix.

The synths sounded OK, but sometimes covered the vocal.

Interesting song, and very catchy. For some reason the vocals remind me a little of the Kinks (who I like alot). As others have said the vocals need a little air, and maybe a cut in the low-mid area. The synth at 2:00 is pretty loud and buzzy. There's a mike bump or something right at the end of the song.

Back