Midnight - alternative pop rock

not one of your best songs.] arrangement is what i mean. but sonically excellent. kinda just kept waiting for something. can't always have hit songs but your stuff is way in front of other hr's.

Very good song. Very good production. Some of these negative comments I didn’t quite get but I was curious of who was making the comments since they are so particular. So I looked that the individuals (no names mentioned) and what music they are producing. I truly expected their material to be at least the level of yours. But to my surprise it's nowhere near the level of your material. And pretty much “where to you come off with that if this is what you’re producing or playing.” But hey, musicians are individuals and I respect that. andrushkiwt I couldn’t be more impressed with the song Midnight.

You have too many things bashing the listener in the face: snare, kick, bass, loud guitars.

That's what I'm hearing, too. Everything is fighting to be loudest. It kind of works given how much is going on, but a more open mix where the instruments' volume matches their importance would be better, IMO. The bass sounds like the loudest instrument (in headphones at least), which gives the strange perception it's in front of the band. The vocal actually sounds behind the bass. The sounds are all good. I'm not hearing any offputting sounds. Just volume/instrument competition problems.

Some of this could be my headphones. Though, they are good, open back cans that I know well. Is nobody else hearing this? Then it's my monitoring.

I thought this was really good. Whatever that thing on the snare is, it's good. Drums sound excellent all around.

Guitars sound excellent.

Great kick/bass balance. Bass sounds good.

About the only thing I'd even consider changing is pulling down the guitars a db or so. So the vocal sits out a little more in front. But that's about it.

Some of this could be my headphones. Though, they are good, open back cans that I know well. Is nobody else hearing this? Then it's my monitoring.

Yeah, I don't know man. I'm not trying to make anything "loud" or louder than anything else, it's all balanced pretty well on my system. Though, to be fair, I checked out the SoundCloud version and it's a bit more compressed than the .wav I listen to. I mean, a noticeable amount of compression for sure. But nothing crazy.

Thanks for checking it out.

Very good song. Very good production. Some of these negative comments I didn’t quite get but I was curious of who was making the comments since they are so particular. So I looked that the individuals (no names mentioned) and what music they are producing. I truly expected their material to be at least the level of yours. But to my surprise it's nowhere near the level of your material. And pretty much “where to you come off with that if this is what you’re producing or playing.” But hey, musicians are individuals and I respect that. andrushkiwt I couldn’t be more impressed with the song Midnight.

Hey thanks. As you can see, most songs in the clinic have a variety of opinions. A snare is perfect to some and to others it's ruining a song... so I try not to get too moved by the good comments and likewise with the negative ones. I'll take the average. There's always someone who'll think X should sound like this or that. The more people mention something in particular, though, is when it's probably time to consider that thing more seriously.

Thanks for the listen and comment.

Absolutely. Just because one person doesn’t like something about your song doesn’t mean you should change it. Also, just because someone may not be as good of a song writer or mix master doesn’t mean that they don’t know what does and does not sound good either. I take everyone’s opinions seriously regardless of their experience or ability.

Me Likeee

This is a great tune. I only got to listen on my laptop so far but it even sounds good there. Kinda reminds me of Van Stephenson's album "Righteous Anger" and I loved that one. If you're doing a set of tunes I'd like to hear them together. You got some chops man.

Great tune as always, bro. I only read through a few of the comments, but it doesn't sound over-compressed to me at all. Great work on the arrangement- you're getting better and better at, well, pretty much everything. I could totally hear this on the radio.

I almost wanted the chorus to punch me in the face more, but still definitely awesome as is. The guitarist in me wanted a few high, well placed, tasteful note screams in a few spots, but probably not necessary.

Awesome effects with the vocals in spots.

Snare sound killer, nice work with the ghost notes. Could maybe use a tad more body, next time you're messing with the mix of this one, try a few db's of 220 on it and see how it sounds.

Awesome as always bud.

Awesome effects with the vocals in spots.

Snare sound killer, nice work with the ghost notes. Could maybe use a tad more body, next time you're messing with the mix of this one, try a few db's of 220 on it and see how it sounds.

Awesome as always bud.

Thanks dude. I'm glad you appreciated the ghost notes...not being a drummer, I had a hard time making sure the accents were appropriate for the song and rhythm. I think it worked out though.

If anyone's interested...I'll just leave this here. It's my scratch-pad-idea file for this song. Basically, it's about 5 minutes after I first came up with this tune, and the first recording I made regarding the chords and vocal melody. It's only my unplugged acoustic and loose singing. The bridge was written while driving. I took my phone out and recorded just the vocal melody for that one. But here's the first idea-file for this song:

Dropbox - 20180423_162623_Normal.m4a

I have, literally, hundreds of these types of files. Melodies and chord progressions with humming and/or free-singing. There aren't any logical sentences, just words and vowel sounds. Once I get the vowel sounds pin pointed, I'll write words that I'm feeling at the time around them. But the vowel structure is most important, to me. Just if anyone is interested in how these ideas become songs.

This mix sounds so good on my phones, I'm gonna sell my monitors. WAIT!... I don't have monitors. OK... I'm gonna sell VHSteve's monitors :D:p

This mix sounds so good on my phones, I'm gonna sell my monitors. WAIT!... I don't have monitors. OK... I'm gonna sell VHSteve's monitors :D:p

Thanks man, appreciate the listen/comment. Too late, I already stole Steve's speakers. ssshhhh, don't tell him

Back