Metal track mix

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hello guys, I'm mixing this track for the forthcoming album of my band. I think the voice is too low and maybe the bass is rumbling too much. I need some input on the results of this mix. Any help or comment would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

It's late, so I can't crank it to check the bass, but the vocals are definitely a bit low. It was the first thing I noticed when listening.

I'll try and check back tomorrow when I can crank it and I'll tell ya what I think. =]

Thanks a lot. Sometimes I tend to bury the vocals, it seems that it happened again. Here's another go at the mix:

Last edited:
I can`t hear the kick drum very clearly which is very important for this style of metal. Try duplicating the kick track and using a band pass filter to isolate everything between 4-7k. This will leave the duplicated kick sounding like a "click" which you can then blend with your kick drum tone to help it CUT through the mix. Metal kicks are very cutty and clicky usually. Stay away from audible reverbs as it will make this sound like mud. Use reverb but only so you notice when its not there, but don't notice an audible reverb tail on anything.

Bring the vocals up more for sure. The overall drum level can be higher to. If the drum misses some hits and kicks then run it through a pass of beat detective if you have it.

Sick track brah :)

Another thing that might be hurting the vocal is the guitar arrangement. The guitar is blasting away non-stop. It kind of takes attention away from the vocal. It's not like they're frequency-clashing badly. It's just like two people yelling at you at the same time. You can hear them both - you just can't make sense of what either of them are saying.

Thanks for the input on the song. As you already stated, I was burying the kick on the mix. I did some improvements to the mix and I think it sounds more powerful and aggressive:

PS: Still wondering if I'm putting too much bass on the mix.

Killer song dude! I'm also having some trouble with my mix which lead me to this forum.

Your's is getting better for each remix. I just think the kick needs something more to it which is kinda my problem too
Will post a topic on my track as soon as I hit 10

Here's another track from the same album:

I think the voice now sits better, and the guitars are cutting through the mix.

I listened to the last tune and it sounds good - the bass is not too prominent and the vocals are ok too. Tight playing!!!

I didn't know they had metal in Spain. Cool.

NOt a bad mix. I kind of think the vocals might be a smidge to up front. Metal is a guitar driven music. I would would bring them up or beef them up a bit and just bring those vocals back a hair and give em a little bit of depth for atmos-fear...

It is metal. . .

Thanks for your input. We're finishing to record all the voices. In the meantime, we have these new songs mixed:

We also noticed that the vocal track was a bit high so we tamed it a bit. What do you think?

Back