Metal/hardcore pre EP test

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
Hi there,

Im gonna be recording half(everything but the drums) of my metal band shortly. Doing the drums in studio, everything else+mixing at mine.

http://www.myspace.com/captainanstis

On our myspace page is a (downloadable) track i did, with programmed crappy drums you can ignore if poss.

Everything but the drums is how it will be recorded, although more time and effort will be spent.

Vocals are through a Red5 LDC. Guitar and bass DI'd through a V-amp pro. That simple.

Could you guys have a listen and tell me what you think, plus any suggestions for things to do/change when we do the actual EP?

Things i realise:

1. A real guitar amp+mic would be better. I know, i dont have one nor do i know anyone with a decent one nor do i have the cash to buy one, not an option at this stage.

2. Vocals are recorded in a bad room. Again not much to be done, we're gonna erect high freq absorbers in the form of duvets on mic stands in the hope that this will help.

3. Real drums will change things, i've mixed real drums before, its a pain, not looking forward to it. Well i am, but at the same time it'll be hard.

4. Im thinking about using an SM58 for the screamed sections. Will give it an AB with the LDC.

Thanks for any input at all!

Chamelious.

I made it through about :50.

I will be honest, I hate the vocal. I can't sing very well. I will admit it. But what I hear on this track isn't singing, and it gets annoying past the first couple bars.

Beyond that, the guitars are scooped, and the drums sound like a kid beating on a plastic pail, so it sounds just like the genre. I personally can't stand the new 'metal', but what you've done sounds just like what I've heard before.

I know I sound harsh. You probably want to gouge out my eyes and fornicate with my empty skull, but you did ask for good or bad.

Sorry I had to give you the bad.

FWIW, get the hell off myspace and switch to an mp3 host that will do you justice.

http://www.lightningmp3.com

is a good place to start.

Thanks for the comment, its fair enough if you dont like to vocal but its fairly typical of the genre, i was looking for recording advice really.

The drums yeah as i said, they're programmed and diffciculty to pull off in metal, hopefully when recorded live they'll do better.

The worrying part of your post is about the guitars being scooped, im not sure how they've ended up like that as i hate the "scooped mids" tone, and i play with loads of mids. If the mids have been scooped out im not sure how its happened...

Perhaps 'scooped' was the wrong choice of words there. Sorry. I was talking about the sound in general. Truth is, you managed to get the guitars sounding pretty nice, considering the genre. I have always thought that speed metal/death metal/screamo guitars were waaaay too saturated. I am sorry I am not a fan of this kind of music, but it is a pretty good job overall, vocal notwithstanding.

Nice job, really.

Perhaps 'scooped' was the wrong choice of words there. Sorry. I was talking about the sound in general. Truth is, you managed to get the guitars sounding pretty nice, considering the genre. I have always thought that speed metal/death metal/screamo guitars were waaaay too saturated. I am sorry I am not a fan of this kind of music, but it is a pretty good job overall, vocal notwithstanding.

Nice job, really.

Thanks for your honesty. Unfortunatly it seems that most of the guys with knowledge and experience on this board aren't into this kinda music. I can kinda understand its probably an annoying genre to record frequently.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your honesty. Unfortunatly it seems that most of the guys with knowledge and experience on this board aren't into this kinda music. I can kinda understand its probably an annoying genre to record frequently.

Thanks again.
Actually, there are quite a few of us who do like it. The problem is that easily 75% of what gets posted here is some metal of some sort. It gets old sometimes. Doesn't make it wrong or right. I think annoying is close, but that doesn't quite cover it either.

Its fair enough. In my local area theres actually a short supply of metal bands. Its all indie and soft rock.

Cool! I actually liked it, guitar tone was great, I didn't mind the drums but as you say a real drummer would be great. I want to hear some rapid fire double kicks!

Thanks dude, like i said we're in the studio getting some real drums done in the next week so i'll post something when that gets done!

Back