Metal core song needs mixing!

aklugger

hey guys check this out. this is my first attempt at recording metal, looking for anyone who would want to help me with the mixing and mastering process. Constructive feedback is much appreciated from everyone -=) enjoy.

the plugins used are addictive drums and amplitube and this was done in garageband.

Attachments

• DEMISEDGATESPERFECT!.mp3
    8.9 MB · Views: 111
Right off the bat, cymbals are way to loud, especially hi-hat. Bass drum is a touch too low. Also try to add more dynamics to your drums. I know they are programmed, but you can make them sound less so by changing the velocity on hits.

I would tend to agree with NotDannyW. Good first attempt, however you dynamics will make it sound alot more natural. The loudness of certain elements is easily
fixed, but the dynamics you need to work on.

A touch of reverb to the snare will help it sound more natural and a little *and i mean a little, amount of reverb over the drum track will make them sound a little larger as well.

Mitch
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Owner / Head Engineer
Jonestown Audio

yea for sure

yea i deff agree with you guys, the drums were done in logic and when i did this song i didnt know how to import individual layers of drums only as a hole. i have learned since then so i can make drums sound much better now that i can manipulate the kick/snare/etc independently . thanx for the advice. I ended up outsourcing the mix and mastering of this song to distrophonix i will post the mastered version when i get it back this week.

You sent it for mixing at this stage? There's a fair bit to be done pre mastering to get your money's worth.
You need to fix the drums, the bass needs definition, the guitars are mostly fizz with no meat and there's no melodic element to give a focus to the piece.

Just a couple of tips for high gain guitars...
It usually depends a lot on the sound you're going after and what you like, but... there isnt' usually anything good above 10k
Try lowpassing at 8k just to check how it sounds
Also, try cutting a bit around 300Hz and 700Hz. That can usually eliminate some boxiness and improves the overall tone... Oh, and always highpass them... I go up to 110, but that also depends on your taste :)

I think the overall mix is a bit muddy. I'd use multiple guitar tracks for a wider stereo feel. The guitar sounds like it needs some detail, more treble and definition. Solo parts sound too dry. It sounds too centered overall and the kick drum needs a bit more punch. I agree with others, Dynamics need to be worked out :) But not bad for a first try though. I think everything can be solved with a better mix! :) It'll sound awesome after that I'm sure. Quality isn't bad either.

thanx for your feedback guys, and to answer your question rayc, no i sent distrophonix my song stripped down, all clean guitars/ no compressors etc, i got the mix back, sounds very good! i now have sent them some synth done with massive and the vocals to add to the track, im thinking i will be getting it back next week i will deff post the final song =)

I would suggest contacting some of the guys on here that specialize in that type of music. I would of helped you out for free and Metal, Hard rock is my forte

here it is

Ok guys here is the first draft i got back from distrophonix. This is just the mix so its not mastered. tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 01 Brothers Mix.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
Some good points, and some I am not fond of at all. Quite 'mono' sounding to me overall, and the kick drum is consuming the low end in a bad way IMO.

I agree with Jimmys69,

The mix sounds really dark. Really dull, and the vocals are pretty much buried in everything else.

Yes, and it makes me wonder (because you stated this is a mix, and not mastered yet), are they planning on charging you more to master the song? It sounds to me like it already has a limiter on the output bus. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the mix does not move me at all.

The drums are ruining it for me from the start. Not the programming, but the completely sterile sound of them. The drum sound needs to be fixed, before anything. It just sounds annoyingly sterile to me.

I just don't hear the mix being anywhere near suitable for the scope of the project. I heard more possibilities (or at least enjoyed the tune more) on your mix. There was a somewhat defined stereo spread on your mix at least. Or maybe I just got lost in the drum tone, and forgot to listen.....

You do have two guitar tracks, I hear them . But do you have two tracks of the main rhythm part? I don't hear any of the goodness, that two separately tracked guitars will produce. The fact that all of these seem so 'mono', well it leads me to have a negative opinion, and subsequent negative judgement of the ability of the guys that charged you for a mix.

What do you feel about the mix that they have provided you aklugger? Your opinion is really the only one that matters. If you like it, then anything I say, is just redundant, and just my opinion. Which of course, is only worth something to me. lol.

GIven what can be done with amplitube and addictive drums. blah. well, to be honest it doesnt sound good at all. 1/10. sorry i wouldnt even know where to start on pointers , first off it sounds like your using old strings, very old strings on your guitar...

Back