Mercy

crowbgood1

Hi all. I've been lurking around this forum for a few years now. I'm not much of a post junkie.

At the moment I have stripped down my home studio, a four bay garage, to make the space look and sound better.

I will post progress once I start treating for sound and building drum risers, vocal booths etc.

In the meantime here is a track "Mercy" from the band I'm in "The Jacks". Recorded live. Only overdub is the vocals.

View attachment 2 Mercy.mp3View attachment 2 Mercy.mp3

Nice open mix, good sound for a live recording. Snare cuts through like a rifleshot. Whereabouts in NZ are you? (i'm in Coromandel). Post some shots of your studio too when you get it working

Only thing really noticeable to me are the "ess" sounds in the vocal. They really pierce through. I'm check out some de-essers, or rework their parameters, if you're already using one. Sounds like a particularly bright mic. Nice recording.

I found myself fast forwarding through the first 30 seconds to get to the vocals. So I guess that riff and groove wasn't capturing my attention enough.

The mix sounds good, though. A nitpick would be the vocal sounds a bit dry and upfront for my taste and the guitar solo tone. If you can get the vocal to just sit a little better via volume/depth/reverb it would help it sound more like a band than the karaoke feel. Some of that is taste, though, so if you dig it as is roll with it. Or make a 2nd mix and experiment with the ideas and see what you like better.

Back