Memory Lane

Hi there,
What's your monitoring setup like?
I'm guessing it's really bass heavy because your mix is very thin.
Don't get me wrong. It sounds very well done indeed, but there's no low end coming through at all.

It sounds like you've taken a good commercial mix and high-passed the crap out of it! :eek:

Yeah it's quite bass heavy, I have super chunk traps floor to ceiling in each corner. I did this mix last nite and didn't reference it. Just goes to show how important referencing is, especially in a less than perfect room when dealing with the low end, I 'm certain my high pass filters are far too high on my tracks.... Cheers for the feedback man.

No problem. :)

Is it a new setup?
Referencing some similar mixes is always a good thing, but it sounds like your monitoring environment is wayyyy off.
Maybe take a look around the studio building forum for some advice?

What kind of monitors do you use? The pointed properly? Head height? Away from walls and corners?

If you have a sub I'd turn it off, and if there's any compensation switches on your monitors, set them to suit the environment.

I know space can be limited, but those are some good starting points. :)

I Have the KRK rokit 5's, and I set up the monitors using the guidlines and audio files in roey izahkis book 'Mixing Audio'. I have the monitors set up on proper monitor stands and mopads. I think that the desk is my big problem but not sure what I could do with it. Their are HF adjustments available on the KRKs but no LF, I wonder if I turned the HF up on the monitors would that be helpful.

I Have the KRK rokit 5's, and I set up the monitors using the guidlines and audio files in roey izahkis book 'Mixing Audio'. I have the monitors set up on proper monitor stands and mopads. I think that the desk is my big problem but not sure what I could do with it. Their are HF adjustments available on the KRKs but no LF, I wonder if I turned the HF up on the monitors would that be helpful.

Hmmm. duno.
I mean, those are pretty subtle adjustments.
Your mix is lacking in low end to the extreme.
Could there be a mistake/error at play here?

This one has two problems: it's way too thin on the ground, and it sounds way too much like Oasis. You can outgrow the second problem, but the first one needs to be dealt with now.

Well the low end is improved for sure, but the highs are crispy to the point of ear damage. The cymbal crashes are really rough.

Well the low end is improved for sure, but the highs are crispy to the point of ear damage. The cymbal crashes are really rough.

Thanks for the feedback Greg, your comments are appreciated and respected... I'm glad my low end problem has improved, this is helping me improve my understanding of my room. The difference between my first mix and second mix I put down to basic things. For the first mix, I did it quickly last friday evening when I got home from work, I didn't reference the track against other mixes, and I didn't take as many Breaks as I should have, and I reckon I had some ear fatigue... Whereas for the second mix I did the basics right, It was done on sunday when I was relaxed and not rushing to get it done. I referenced my mix against others, I took breaks and I wasn't rushing. I can go back and see if I missed anything on the high end, I suspect that the overheads could use a high end shelf, Or maybe some multiband compression just using one band focusing on the correct high frequencies.
Thank you Greg, Much appreciated.
Andrew

Back