Mayfield: Now with Jimistone

Robus

EDIT: Here is a version of this song with jimistone from the forum singing. Still has my programmed drums, but the plan is to add real drums.

Thanks!

Latest mix with jimistone's vocal:

Mayfield_Ray Taylor_mix 14.mp3 - Google Drive

Mayfield
Words and music by Ray Taylor, 2017

In the smooth expectations
Of a movie reel winding through our timeline
We begin to feel it
Really do believe it’s true
Cherry wine is on your lips
And therefore on my mind
And the day really slips away
Well how do we get to the morning
Against all better warning?

That’s a line for another day
A little Mayfield on
We’ll be fine
If you feel it
Means that he ain’t really gone
Stick right to me
Superfly in a tighter glue
Why move on up alone?
Let's move on up in two
But how do we get to the morning
Against our better warning?

Well we’re moving through the days
The file and keep, the toss and sweep
We got to make it
Really got to take it in tonight
Summer magic warms us
Like some old music flowing through us
From the corners of our minds
And the mandolin was fine
But how do we get to the morning
Against our better warning?

Last edited:
I really like the music. Your vocal melody does need some work, though. I was beginning to work out my own melody which involves bringing in some lines a bit sooner, and others delayed a measure or two. I couldn't keep it up because it got out of sync. Mine drifts a little more towards the non-abstract, but not too much - just enough to tighten it up with the music a bit. I think the vocal melody needs to be in the same groove with the music, and I'm not hearing that in most of it as it is now.

I thought this was a good start. I like the big delay on the guitar in the intro. Fit the song well.

Bass sounds nice.

My only complaint is that everything is so clean. Clean guitars, clean keys, clean everything. A pad guitar part with some distortion might warm the mix up a little.

I would like to play around with adapting a melody of my own - - for you to use.. or not. Would you object to posting a file without your vocals? If you're not comfortable with that, I understand.

Yeah, the lead vocal was the big thing that stuck out to me. The delivery is a bit shaky.
The bgvox might be a touch dark too.

Everything else seems pretty-well balanced.

New vocal take in the OP. I've worked out quite a few melody and phrasing issues. It's going to come down to the quality of the vocalist, and the one I have in mind is good.

I like the song Robus. Great arrangement and mix too.
I really like the line "A little Mayfield on we'll be fine (Although anyone under 50 probably is clueless on who "Mayfield" is)
I think that line should be used a couple of times in the song instead of only once. Especially since Mayfield is the title of the song.

Thanks jimi. I kind of like the way the Mayfield references pop up in the middle verse, then the lyrics move on to other thoughts.

Mix, bass and drums is money Pleasant as fuck to listen to. Vocals holding it back tho. Music so warm and inviting. Eagles/wilco etc

Great strat tones as always, Robus, nice and clean and warm. Very smooth song in general, great mix too. Can't really find anything to nitpick on at the moment.

The more distorted guitar at the end sounds great too, considering it was mostly clean up to that point, which can sometimes be a slippery slope. But you pulled it off nicely, tone-wise and smooth playing.

Nice writing too. You're voice actually fits the song pretty well to my ears, but I'm sure whoever you have in mind will be fantastic.

Nice job :thumbs up:

Nice song, nice mix. I can only nit pick, everything sounds nice and clean and in its own space. I thought the delay was a bit heavy on the open guitar riff, the backup vocals sound like they need to be developed a bit, a female voice in the bu would be extra prima good, something about the bu vocs grab my attention and i feel like i shouldn't notice them if that makes sense...The only other thing i think about when listening to this is keyboards, a rhodes would sound great in this tune swirling against those guitars, maybe even a hammond...Everything sounds nice--real drums? They have that 70's clean sound- i really like the tone of the bass, stands out without being boomy, great vocal track and guitars-sounds and performance on the money-Nice work!

Thanks, retrack of background vocals is in the cards. I'd love to have a female vocalist in there, but I don't know any.

Back